Zelda: Breath of the Wild [WU,NX]

I hate you!

Not really, but I'm definitely Jelly!

I can't find anywhere that has it in stock. I even broke down and started looking around locally. Target said a store in my area had it, but my hopes were quickly dashed when I called them. :(

I didn't pre-order because I figured I could wait no problem despite wanting one. And trying to get a pre-order in was madness with all the demand for the units.

However, I find I'm wanting a Switch more than any home console since the PS2 and more than any handheld since the first PSP.

Regards,
SB
I wish I knew , my friends gamestop had gotten 8 to sell to walk ins for the midnight release I would have grabbed one and overnighted it to you. Best buy claims they will have a second shipment on the 8th

Walked into my local Sainsburies last night (9pm) to do a bit of shopping and thought i'd look on the off chance. Few minutes later I'd picked up a grey switch and a copy of zelda and decided that the rest of the shopping really wasn't that important, only extra thing I got was a book for my son so he would have a distraction . Only had 20 mins or so on Zelda but in that time I managed to both climb and chop down a tree, fall of a cliff, push a large boulder of the same cliff , collect and cook some apples, get into my first few fights and start exploring :) Am very impressed at how easy it is to do things in the world. Not completely sure on how comfortable the switch is but it's early days so i'lll give it a chance.

This game probably got the most perfect scores than any other gane. I didnt play it but I am surprised that it doesnt get as much attention in these forums as it should.
I suspect its probably due to the fact that we have grown and this is a very very old franchise with a not so adult theme

Or the fact hardly any hardware out there plays it, and few of us own that hardware. If the game were on PS and XB, it'd likely be a different story. The franchise itself has little to do with this game by accounts, lending little more than some characters and background. The game itself is completely unlike previous versions. Kinda like comparing FFXII to the earlier FF - really a very different game.

It wont get much coverage until 1 of 2 things happen:
A) Its available on common hardware platforms most have (Sony or MS)
B) It becomes Cross-Dress Link with Robotic Dinos or Call of Zelda,, OverZelda, Grand Theft Zelda, or Batlle Zelda.

Or the fact hardly any hardware out there plays it, and few of us own that hardware. If the game were on PS and XB, it'd likely be a different story. The franchise itself has little to do with this game by accounts, lending little more than some characters and background. The game itself is completely unlike previous versions. Kinda like comparing FFXII to the earlier FF - really a very different game.
this one is the kind of Zelda that I'd love to play more than any of the others. I completed SNES Zelda when I was a kid, a friend had the SNES, and another guy lent me Zelda for 3 days. Just...3 days... and...without any guide/walkthrough I managed to beat the game getting 16 hearts, which was impressive, I sank quite a few hours on Zelda on those 3 days. Never ever I played a Zelda game again, but that was pretty intense.

Additionally, I didn't know a word of English back then, :smile2: and the game was in English iirc, at least that's how I remember it, so my walkthrough was also very intuitive..

Btw, knowing how Nintendo love and treat games to make them run at 60 fps... Is this Zelda the first 30 fps Zelda to date?

This game probably got the most perfect scores than any other gane. I didnt play it but I am surprised that it doesnt get as much attention in these forums as it should.
I suspect its probably due to the fact that we have grown and this is a very very old franchise with a not so adult theme

I think mainly due to not many people on these forums having a Switch, and not many bothered with the Wii-U.

However, it's one of the most popular games on the internet right now. Since launch it has been either the #1 or #2 game by viewership on Twitch. So there's quite a lot of interest in the game.

Regards,
SB

I really want to leap into Zelda but I'm unable to drag myself away from Horizon Zero Dawn. This is my third day of being a Switch owner and I've used the device for about 30 minutes.

Soon....

Playing Zelda BotW right now (bought a Switch out of technical curiousity and the feeling that I could sell it an Zelda at a moderate loss, if I came to feel the product didn't make sense for us).

I can't recall that I have ever felt such a sense of discovery and curiosity driven exploration in a game, ever. Both due to atmosphere, and due to the physics of the game (how do I get to the apples that grow high? First I climbed to get the low-hangers close to the trunk, then I found that I could jump and catch low hangers further out on the branches, but the higer ups? Bow?) The game both encourages and punishes exploration. Fall dow and you will loose health or die, which also costs you health and therefore resources. Anything you do with weapons wears them down.

Also, the opponents aren't ridiculously myopic, they spot you at a good distance, they raise alarms, manouver to get better weapons and so on, cartoony graphics be damned, they still feel more real behaviour wise than the opponents I'm used to from PC RPGs and shooters. Sneaking doesn't turn you invisible and so on.

I can easily see myself spending a looong time just trying things out and looking around.
I chose this over getting Mass Effect Andromeda. We'll see when I can put Zelda down. Might be a while.

If it was on the ps4, I would get it instantly. But i can't buy a console that is basically a tablet and will not have anything else which will interest me except Zelda. Maybe in moer opulent days of extra dispensable cash but I spend so much on games that I wonder whether I willl ever have any extra cash !
I wish I liked Mario, that would make me consider a Switch again, but somehow I never liked his 2d ways back then and so never tried his 3d avatars either.

If it was on the ps4, I would get it instantly. But i can't buy a console that is basically a tablet and will not have anything else which will interest me except Zelda. Maybe in moer opulent days of extra dispensable cash but I spend so much on games that I wonder whether I willl ever have any extra cash !
I wish I liked Mario, that would make me consider a Switch again, but somehow I never liked his 2d ways back then and so never tried his 3d avatars either.

Zelda, Monster Hunter, dungeon crawling RPGs. Minus Zelda those are the reasons I have a 3DS. Hoping the Switch ends up getting all the franchises that 3DS had and more. I'd love to play some dungeon crawling Etrian Odyssey games on my TV. I had so many kinks in my neck from staring down at the 3DS while playing those games. Same goes for Monster Hunter.

So far watching people play Zelda, and man do melee weapons wear out FAST. But man, the game looks fun. It seems to be the very rare open world game that I might enjoy beyond the first few hours.

Regards,
SB

Btw, knowing how Nintendo love and treat games to make them run at 60 fps... Is this Zelda the first 30 fps Zelda to date?

I think there has never been a 3D zelda above 30fps (not counting the 2.5D ones on handheld).

Not overly impressed by the new Nintendo Zelda game, totally overrated. FFXV and Horizon are that much better. The FAKE game media is clearly biased. Sad! Nintendo should give up and sell to Microsoft!

Couldn't disagree more. Played 5 hours of Horizon yesterday, and while it's lovely to look at and nice to play, it's still very much a tired, fake feeling Ubisoft-ass openworld you're exploring here. Feels more like a big playground than a proper world. Story so far doesn't seem like it's remotely interested in skipping tired cliches either, and as a result the whole thing comes across cheesy as fuck (the pathos-laden soundtrack doesn't help here). It's very entertaining, don't get me wrong. But like a good summer blockbuster film, the corporate finger prints are just all over it. GTA this is certainly not. It just has no balls. Figuratively speaking that is.
Also played a bunch of Zelda and there's just a lovely sense of going on a free-wheeling adventure here. No bullshit XP grind in order to unlock nodes on a grid. Not everything needs rpg mechanics. No bandit camps with the worst human AI I've come across in ages either. No binary, abusable stealth mechanics. Seriously, what the fuck has happened when a new Zelda has much more believable A.I. and more nuanced stealth mechanics than the newest mega budget game from the same guys who gave us the surprisingly clever Helghast troopers? I'm also loving little touches like slippery surfaces during the rain, or getting fried by lightning during a thunder storm. All the systems interact in such a lovely and organic manner.
Wish I had a Switch, but as someone who doesn't really care about Nintendo IPs that aren't called Zelda or Metroid (the latter of which Nintendo doesn't give a fuck about anymore), spending 400€ would be completely asinine.

Last edited:
I played a few hours this weekend on the WiiU. I was blown away. Ok, it's "ugly". But damn, the gameplay is great, new mechanisms all around. And the nature seems so alive. I didn't like the 2 previous zeldas, but this time, I felt like a kid discovering Zelda Ocarina of Time on N64 again. A whole world that I *WANT* to discover. Because it's fun to do, not because I have to. Can't wait to play it again. But I'm an adult now, so they're is something called "work" that I have to do. Sucks.

Zelda must be a blast to play, because watching videos I see many things that would be heavily criticized in other games but here, they are treated as non issues.
Subpar graphics, subpar music, recycled story, recyced setting, no proper voice acting, no proper mocap, no proper character development, no proper sidequests, strange enemy design.
On the other hand there is very complex but aproachable gameplay mechanics, loots, weapons, outfits, physics, dynamic weather which are great but not exclusive to this title. And yet they are praised as newly invented and original.
I want to belive that reviews are not nostalgia driven and I hope I will get chance to verify it myself.
I just want to understand....

Back