Movie Reviews 2.0

Saw Logan last night too. Totally passed me by that it was going to be much more adult than normal. Swearing, ultra violent, gore (really a lot of gore), brutal, angry, tense, sad, and with healthy helpings of relevant and referential politics. If you're expecting a happy colourful explodey superhero movie, Logan is not even close to being that. The funny parts are all awkward to laugh at because something terrible happened in the middle of each one. Wow, loved the heck out of it. What a surprise, how did I miss it was going to be adult?

Talking about the plot too much will spoiler it, so I'll stay away from that other than to say just go watch it if you're in any way invested in the X-Men stuff.

As an aside, I saw it as an IMAX 2D digital projection and man, I wish I hadn't. Don't know whether it's the digital projection system or content's fault, but it looked obviously low res and pixelated in places. When I buy an IMAX ticket I don't want to notice any of that. Working in graphics has its downsides when watching stuff, but that aspect is super annoying. Great sound though!

I saw it at the IMAX too (west end) and it looked great!!

Did you guys get the Deadpool sting at the start of Logan?
Yep I got it, was good stuff. Have to look up that fast wall of text today.

Logan.... wow. These are the superhero movies I love, so much better than the teen Marvel/Disney stuff. I was so glad they were able to do this movie before Disney would have ruined it. Enough of the superhero genre to satisfy the comic geek in you yet so deeply rooted in reality the storyline is far more interesting and the emotional investment is actually there with the characters. A brilliant end to Hugh and Patrick's involvement with X-Men.

The alzheimers with professor X resulting in the accident killing off the x-men and the adamantium eventually poisoning Wolverine were brilliant plot mechanisms to provide a theoretical end to the X-men. Real human conditions applied so rarely to a superhero context.

9/10

Loved Logan as well. My usual complaint still applies though: This is not a complex story we're being told here. It had no business being two and a half hours long. Bloated running times only serve to make otherwise fantastic films unneccesary hard to rewatch. It's why I hold Dredd 3D in such high regard.

Last edited:
Saw logan cant believe
they used cg doubles. I suspected maybe for x23 acrobatics but definitely not Logan. Very realistic couldnt tell

^That was Logan's best guess at least. I don't think the film ever went as far as to outright state it as the defacto reason.

Last edited:
Watched Gantz 0 on Netflix. Very impressed by it actually. Probably the best looking, somewhat realistic CGI feature film I've seen so far. I mean Kingsglaive looked mostly fantastic, but its wooden facial animations had nothing on the wonderfully expressive Gantz characters. It's also narratively tight and choreographed in a way that's actually compatible with human perception. Add in some truly crazy monster designs taken from all kinds of different mythologies, then drench it all in bucketloads of gore, and you'll end up with some very entertaining 90 minutes.

I've heard of the Manga. I believe there's 2 live action movies as well. The CGI one is brand new, though. Outside of Japan it's not even out on Blu Ray yet.

Yep I got it, was good stuff. Have to look up that fast wall of text today.

Logan.... wow. These are the superhero movies I love, so much better than the teen Marvel/Disney stuff. I was so glad they were able to do this movie before Disney would have ruined it. Enough of the superhero genre to satisfy the comic geek in you yet so deeply rooted in reality the storyline is far more interesting and the emotional investment is actually there with the characters. A brilliant end to Hugh and Patrick's involvement with X-Men.

The alzheimers with professor X resulting in the accident killing off the x-men and the adamantium eventually poisoning Wolverine were brilliant plot mechanisms to provide a theoretical end to the X-men. Real human conditions applied so rarely to a superhero context.

9/10

The alzheimers with professor X resulting in the accident killing off the x-men

At what point in the firm was that stated? I must have missed that.

At what point in the firm was that stated? I must have missed that.
Well it wasn't specifically stated as that as far as a conclusive medical diagnosis, but

Caliban mentions either alzheimers or one other one (can't remember) as the reason for the need for medicating him

If you're referring to the 2nd part though, they elude several times
that they didn't want another Westminster event (or whatever the name of the place was) when referring to his condition

Yesterday I watched The Blair Witch Project. For the first time. I was desperately waiting for the infamous rhinorrhea scene.

I liked it. ^_^ I mean, the movie, not that scene (well, I liked that too).

It was so different from the usual horror movie... It broke the mould, in a good way, in my opinion. I didn't find it boring at all. I think there's a sequel. Is it any good?

Hacksaw ridge 9/10

Finally a good war movie again. The half assed full metal jacket bootcamp ripoff was a bit of a disappointment but the action scenes are very well done. The story wasn't bad either.

Definitely worth watching.

I've also started watching shin Godzilla, Japan's version of the remake.

I've only watched the first 50 minutes but my God, so. Much. Talking. I don't think there was one scene up till now where there wasn't constant talking unless Godzilla was on screen. I'm seriously having trouble keeping up with the subtitles, that's how much they talk.

I'm wondering if the director is actually taking the piss out of Japan for having endless meetings without ever making any real decisions.

Watched Ghost in the Shell yesterday. It has a more straightforward core narrative and is paced a little bit quicker than the 1995 anime. You could call it dumbed-down for the masses, and you wouldn't be entirely wrong. Still, there's plenty of what made the 1995 anime so special left in there besides the visuals. And boy, are these visuals ever so splendid. What a drop-dead gorgeous movie this is. Not since James Cameron's Avatar have I been this impressed with VFX work.

I had a great time with it and will definitely buy this on Blu-Ray.

Last edited:
That's not a suit. That's her artificial skin. And yes, the same holds true for the anime. In the name of American squeamishness, the skinsuit in the movie was designed without nipples, though.

Last edited:
Watches Rogue One and was pleasantly surprised.

After that turd they made out of the previous movie I didn't have high hopes but Rogue One is pretty good. Lots a action and a new'ish story. And no whiny ass kilo ren. Enjoyed watching it.

Hopefully they continue on this way and not that of the previous movie.

Yesterday I watched The Remains, a horror movie. "Horror" as in "horrible", I mean. It started out in a good way, somehow, but it ended up being pretty absurd and boring.

One thing I hate about horror movies is when characters see some scary shit and they don't say a thing about it or they only explain it halfway. Like, all of a sudden you see the ghost of a woman in front of you and you say "duuuh, I saw sooometheeeng". No, you fucking idiot, you saw a ghost, A GHOST, and you should be freaking out and telling everyone that you saw it, not going like "oh, well, ok" after that, as if nothing had happened. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh...

Back