Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also speculate that it might hint at some form of Xbox TV (Xbox One TV?) might still be in the works. Also possibility in the future of a gaming oriented portable able to run Xbox games (Xbox One Family of devices).

Well they could just keep shrinking Xbox One every few years...in a few years...apple tv size....more years after that TV stick size??

Saying 'migrate' and more S will sell than Scorpio, MS can't be seeing it as a new gen. They are giving their core fans an upgrade path without disrupting the rest of the generation.

They dont know what they're doing and things are subject to change. How many times has MS quickly reversed course? I expect initially they may toe the whole iterative line, as they feel out the waters, but fairly quickly we will see Scorpio only games. But, who really knows.

I think it's safe to guess AT LAUNCH there will not be any Scorpio exclusive games. This is the safest way to play it and avoid public outcry. Beyond that, I think is "subject to change"

At the very least there needs to be major improvements to Xbox One playable titles, not minor ones, for this power not to be wasted. MS first party may be in a position to effect this, but who knows what 3rd parties will do. Likely not much given their history.

Maybe we see 4 versions, OK (XB1) better (PS4) Betterest (Pro) and Best (Scorpio). But the 1st and last 2 will probably be very similar (XBO/PS4 "version" Pro/Scorpio "version)

The Podcast Unlocked with Phil is pretty good. Wouldn't hold any breath but there seems to be a good chance at a pre-e3 Scorpio event. When asked, Phil said plans aren't made yet, but he did prefer to focus on games and not have the whole conference be about hardware at e3, so it sounded like a good possibility IMO. I dont know, I'm guessing maybe something in late May or late April even? Hey, the sooner the better IMO.

He had a funny line when the hosts said something about him being unclear on a subject in a previous interview he quipped "I'm good at unclear, I'm really good at unclear"

1. This means that going forwards from Xbox One, all Xbox's will share the ability to run all apps/games released in the future as long as the hardware remains powerful enough.
All speculation, of course. Perhaps the Xbox One Family of devices will end with just one follow up, but that would seem weird to use Family in that case.
It'd also mean every Xbox console from now on will call ed an XBox One something.

The Xbox One family already has two members, XBox One and XBox One S. Add a Scorpio, a Scorpio slim, and you've enough to cover just this platform before a future non-One console is released.

I think it's safe to guess AT LAUNCH there will not be any Scorpio exclusive games. This is the safest way to play it and avoid public outcry. Beyond that, I think is "subject to change"
How do you 'launch' a next gen if you don't announce it with the new hardware?? You want to tell gamers there's a new gen coming, at this date, get everyone excited and ready to transition quickly. Releasing a few exclusives after a couple years on the market isn't really satisfying the Next-Gen Story from a consumer's POV and likely won't benefit as a next-gen does from being next-gen.

How do you 'launch' a next gen if you don't announce it with the new hardware?? You want to tell gamers there's a new gen coming, at this date, get everyone excited and ready to transition quickly. Releasing a few exclusives after a couple years on the market isn't really satisfying the Next-Gen Story from a consumer's POV and likely won't benefit as a next-gen does from being next-gen.
By making sure that there's titles which are so much more impressive on Scorpio compared to One/One S

By making sure that there's titles which are so much more impressive on Scorpio compared to One/One S

But without them being at launch you won't get the same impact. This is a new box that does this so much better, it's so next gen vs oh, by the way that box you bought/ignored last year can do next gen stuff now.

But without them being at launch you won't get the same impact. This is a new box that does this so much better, it's so next gen vs oh, by the way that box you bought/ignored last year can do next gen stuff now.
Release the hidden dGPU when you need to turn it into Next Gen [emoji33]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The talk was about exclusives - of course you need the impressive games at launch, but they don't need to be exclusive

Saying 'migrate' and more S will sell than Scorpio, MS can't be seeing it as a new gen. They are giving their core fans an upgrade path without disrupting the rest of the generation.

Of course they are segmenting the market, they have always done that with HDD size and other things. Here in a generation-less iterative world, always having a $150-250 box and 299-399 + 1/2 "gen" box maximizes sales with the lower end box having 2 or 3 to 1 margin. It also forces Sony to follow or lose its lead. If PS5 doesn't have 100% out of the box BC with PS4 then MS will retake the lead.

Of course they are segmenting the market, they have always done that with HDD size and other things. Here in a generation-less iterative world, always having a $150-250 box and 299-399 + 1/2 "gen" box maximizes sales with the lower end box having 2 or 3 to 1 margin. It also forces Sony to follow or lose its lead. If PS5 doesn't have 100% out of the box BC with PS4 then MS will retake the lead.

Based on?

HDD size is not segmenting the market.
We are not in a generation-less iterative world. Phil Spencer even said that's "not their plan".
Lack of BC doesn't make people jump ship to the other platform.

From now on, playstation have awesome robot dinosaurs which will help them keep their lead.

HDD size is not segmenting the market.
We are not in a generation-less iterative world. Phil Spencer even said that's "not their plan".
Lack of BC doesn't make people jump ship to the other platform.

From now on, playstation have awesome robot dinosaurs which will help them keep their lead.

You're kidding right?

You're kidding right?

Without wishing to turn this into a 'which has the best exclusives' argument, what is true is that Scorpio will not have true exclusives as they will be playable on PC. As such there will be no need for a PC gamer to buy one...however if a PC gamer wants to play any PS exclusive there is only one way.

Without wishing to turn this into a 'which has the best exclusives' argument, what is true is that Scorpio will not have true exclusives as they will be playable on PC. As such there will be no need for a PC gamer to buy one...however if a PC gamer wants to play any PS exclusive there is only one way.

There is also PS Now. So really, if can stream PS Now well enough, you just need a PC. :yep2:

There is also PS Now. So really, if can stream PS Now well enough, you just need a PC. :yep2:

Well ok, remove "any" and replace with "PS4" ...or "the latest games/gen". A PC gamer will always need a PS4 to play Uncharted 4 or Horizon or Last of Us 2 (etc), that won't be the case with Scorpio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back