Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

It's the best looking VR game to this date IMO.

Yeah I'd have to agree - of the games I've played it's the best looking do far. Disclaimer - I haven't played The Climb or Robinson The Journey yet.

Gameplay is superb IMO. It's true that there's not a lot of depth, this is a pure arcade shooter, but the shooting itself, and the environments are superb. And it's free!

I'm playing at max settings with resolution scale set to 1.0. I haven't tried higher but that's basically what it defaulted to on my system.

Yeah I'd have to agree - of the games I've played it's the best looking do far. Disclaimer - I haven't played The Climb or Robinson The Journey yet.

Gameplay is superb IMO. It's true that there's not a lot of depth, this is a pure arcade shooter, but the shooting itself, and the environments are superb. And it's free!

I'm playing at max settings with resolution scale set to 1.0. I haven't tried higher but that's basically what it defaulted to on my system.
What are your system specs?

Thanks for that! I saw that setting (was 0.7x) but I thought it was related to the "adaptive resolution" thing.
I adjusted it to 1.0x and the resolution is much better now. (I use a 970 SLI setup)

AMD relive 17.4.1 http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...mson-ReLive-Edition-17.4.1-Release-Notes.aspx

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.1 Highlights

• Support for Oculus' Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) on Radeon R9 Fury series, Radeon R9 390 series and Radeon R9 290 series graphics products. ASW compares previously rendered frames, detects the motion between them, and extrapolates the position of scene components to create a new synthetic frame. This technology helps avoid dropped frames and can provide an overall smoother VR experience on the Oculus Rift.
  • Support for SteamVR Asynchronous Reprojection on Radeon RX 480 and Radeon RX 470 graphics products on Microsoft Windows 10. Asynchronous Reprojection reduces judder to provide an overall smoother and more comfortable VR experience on the HTC Vive.
Support for the following display technologies:

• DP1.4 HBR3 Support
  • 8K 60Hz dual cable support
  • 8K 30Hz single cable support

AMD relive 17.4.1 http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...mson-ReLive-Edition-17.4.1-Release-Notes.aspx

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.1 Highlights

• Support for Oculus' Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) on Radeon R9 Fury series, Radeon R9 390 series and Radeon R9 290 series graphics products. ASW compares previously rendered frames, detects the motion between them, and extrapolates the position of scene components to create a new synthetic frame. This technology helps avoid dropped frames and can provide an overall smoother VR experience on the Oculus Rift.
  • Support for SteamVR Asynchronous Reprojection on Radeon RX 480 and Radeon RX 470 graphics products on Microsoft Windows 10. Asynchronous Reprojection reduces judder to provide an overall smoother and more comfortable VR experience on the HTC Vive.
Support for the following display technologies:

• DP1.4 HBR3 Support
  • 8K 60Hz dual cable support
  • 8K 30Hz single cable support
No Async Reprojection support in SteamVR for AMD's current most powerful GPU (Fury) is flipping ridiculous. Then again it just took them 6 months to support Async Spacewarp on anything other than the RX Series..Lameness...

I've had the Rift for a few weeks now, and I'm slowly getting into games that control traditionally in terms of locomotion rather than teleportation and although it was a slow process, (I didn't play to the point I felt sick, just a few minutes each play gradually spending more and more time in a game and always to a point I felt comfortable), I can now play for an hour and enjoy myself.
What I found out is that turning with a stick or a mouse is a big no-no for me for the moment at least. But actually turning with my body and even strafing with the view point decoupled from the moving axis (on a 360 setup) is absolutely fine!

So... Just tried Doom 3 BFG edition on Rift and Touch.
Played for one hour, and loved it.
If you are one of those people that feel no motion sickness, I highly recommend the game, and if you already own the game and have an HMD then you should definitely try it regardless.
It is the first game, that actually feels like a classic game for me. And now I want more like it. I can only hope that Fallout 4 VR will be as good or better than Doom, since Doom has a few problems when it comes to interaction and the HUD, (it is a mod after all).
But it is very enjoyable!

Using the same design as React before it, React VR is a framework that allows developers to create VR experiences using only JavaScript. That means these apps can be hosted on the web and accessed without the need for seperate software.

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-launches-react-vr-push-webvr/

to highlight some of the research into brain-computer interfaces going on at the world’s most far-reaching social network. While it’s still early days, Facebook wants to start solving some of the AR input problem today by using tech that will essentially read your mind.

http://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-researching-brain-computer-interfaces-just-kind-interface-ar-needs/

This new VR app takes some of the best features of Facebook and brings them into your VR space. Spend time with friends and family like you’re really there, step inside 360 videos, draw and play with Touch, and more. The beta launches today for Rift

http://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-launch-first-social-vr-app/

the division is in the midst of numerous VR projects, including a 360 immersive film campaign for Siemens, the forthcoming Alien: Covenant VR experience (to be co-executive produced by Ridley Scott himself), an episodic VR series called Blackbox in partnership with Endless VR, and a yet unannounced episodic VR documentary series directed by photographer Michael Muller.
http://www.roadtovr.com/alien-blade-runner-director-ridley-scott-launches-vr-film-division/

Oh, and google earth vr finally works on rift!

Back