AMD RyZen CPU Reviews

To me it looks like it's too early to tell anything. Unless something happens with motherboards, BIOS revisions etc very soon, I think I might wait a few months and see how the state of affairs is then. Seems a lot of reviewers have had issues with stable memory overlocks and I really want to see how 1700 (non X) and R5 1600X turns out.

GN review actually destroys AMD even saying that you shouldn't buy it. IDK what to think at the moment.

AMD responds to 1080p gaming tests on Ryzen: https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-responds-1080p-gaming-tests-Ryzen

“As we presented at Ryzen Tech Day, we are supporting 300+ developer kits with game development studios to optimize current and future game releases for the all-new Ryzen CPU. We are on track for 1000+ developer systems in 2017. For example, Bethesda at GDC yesterday announced its strategic relationship with AMD to optimize for Ryzen CPUs, primarily through Vulkan low-level API optimizations, for a new generation of games, DLC and VR experiences.

Oxide Games also provided a public statement today on the significant performance uplift observed when optimizing for the 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 7 CPU design – optimizations not yet reflected in Ashes of the Singularity benchmarking. Creative Assembly, developers of the Total War series, made a similar statement today related to upcoming Ryzen optimizations.

CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms – until now. Even without optimizations in place, Ryzen delivers high, smooth frame rates on all “CPU-bound” games, as well as overall smooth frame rates and great experiences in GPU-bound gaming and VR. With developers taking advantage of Ryzen architecture and the extra cores and threads, we expect benchmarks to only get better, and enable Ryzen excel at next generation gaming experiences as well.

Game performance will be optimized for Ryzen and continue to improve from at-launch frame rate scores.”

-- John Taylor, AMD

Eh? Its a CPU not a GPU.
Intel gets performance hits from SMT too...

I kinda dream of OS level ability to switch SMT on/off based on load/app preference (though I seem to recall Windows can/does de-load the 2nd thread?)

I wrote that in jest, but what do you know,

AMD firmly believes that they can improve gaming performance with Ryzen optimizations as all the games we tested with were optimized on Intel, so they feel the testing is one sided right now. They also have a Windows Driver coming in approximately one month that will help performance as the Windows High Precision Event Timer (HPET) isn’t playing nice with the SenseMI sensors that poll the CPU status every millisecond.

Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryz...rocessor-review_191753/15#Y1bv1ruybqajxTD0.99

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/956-7/impact-smt-ht.html

Looking at this (in games for 6900k it's either exactly the same performance with HT on or a loss similar to the amd loss - while for applications they gain the same) I suspect it's normal for games to detect a hyper threaded (intel) cpu (with more than x cores) and (by cpu affinity(*)) turn off HT?
And especially since windows (performance wise inaccurately) report a bulldozer derivative as 4/8, games would only do this on intel.

(*) if done for the process i guess this could be seen in the task manager.

Some serious issues raised by the GamersNexus review. Especially regarding SMT performance.

So once developers start optimizing for Ryzen as well, does this mean Ryzen owners will need to swap between SMT on or off depending on the game in order to meek out the best performance? Really not boding well at the moment.

They're posting a 1700 review tomorrow which is what I'm really interested in but I'm not sure the core count will be much of a counter to the massive clock disparity on the 1700 compared to other gaming CPUs.

Looking at this (in games for 6900k it's either exactly the same performance with HT on or a loss similar to the amd loss - while for applications they gain the same) I suspect it's normal for games to detect a hyper threaded (intel) cpu (with more than x cores) and (by cpu affinity(*)) turn off HT?
And especially since windows (performance wise inaccurately) report a bulldozer derivative as 4/8, games would only do this on intel.
Would there be any way to confirm that other than from the developer themselves? It's an interesting theory.

So once developers start optimizing for Ryzen as well, does this mean Ryzen owners will need to swap between SMT on or off depending on the game in order to meek out the best performance? Really not boding well at the moment.
I'd expect that issue to fix itself over time. Either through compiler/firmware updates or OS schedulers. Maybe some software changes if devs were detecting certain situations incorrectly.

I doubt it's just the SMT because some of the HPC benchmarks look rather impressive on linux.

Some rather contradictory results as expected between reviewers.

Eteknix review using a 980ti w/very high

Ryzen-1800x-10.png

PCPer review using a 1080 w/ultra

rotr.png

New Some rather contradictory results as expected between reviewers.
Ultra preset is heavier on the CPU than Very High preset in Tomb Raider. It adds a lot more shadows, reflections, hair and even some AO (in the case of VXAO).

Last edited:
Ultra preset is heavier on the CPU than Very High preset in Tomb Raider. It adds a lot more shadows, reflections, hair and even some AO (in the case of VXAO).

Although it's not the best practice to compare results across reviews, but for the 7700K in particular the Ultra score is above the very high.

Look like Gamer Nexus have got a big check from Intel .. naaa seriously ..
I'm dissappointed in Techreport. They ran their 7700K with 3866MHz DDR4. They used the same DIMMs on Ryzen but could only clock it to 2933MHz even though everybody else seem to have DDR4 running at 3200MHz on Ryzen.

The officially supported speeds for 7700K and R7 1800X are 2400 and 2666MHz, respectively.

Cheers

Back