Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any information yet about multi language support in games and buying eShop games from different regions?

I'll probably buy a Japanese Switch but I want my games in English.

Is there any information yet about multi language support in games and buying eShop games from different regions?
Neither Switch or the games are region locked but which versions sold in different region's stores come with which languages will be entirely down to the publisher.

Yeah I know importing a game from the EU or US won't be a problem (apart from it costing extra money) but how about eShop games? I suppose they'll use a IP region or credit card to determine the region you are in, and thus the store allowed access to, so you can have games from multiple eShops on the same device/account?

TBH I don't understand why in console world such things are still an issue. All major games get world wide releases, devs and pubs know that even before they start working on the game so why isn't every game simply multi language? That's how it largely works on PC (though on Steam I do sometimes notice special Japanese version that are butchered in the language department for whatever reason. Though English is always there). I understand multi language voices might not be possible due to cart size or maybe even release dates but a subtitle option shouldn't be a issue imo.

In an ideal world games would let you select which languages, written and spoken, you could download and use but with some regional variations on content this is perhaps a harder problem to crack.

For games on cartridge I'm. It fussed about storage space but for anything I download I really don't want lots of unnecessary languages consuming SD card space.

Damn, I'm wanting the Switch quite a bit now. On the Co-Optional Podcast right now there are 2 people on that actually have the Switch and the're talking about it. And the other 2 on have been watching people who have the Switch play Zelda on it. And they are all just completely gonzo on the Switch.

I'm starting to think Nintendo might have actually hit it out of the ballpark with this.

Regards,
SB

They haven't gone into any details yet (saving most of the talk for later in the show). Just that two of them have been drooling over the Switch wishing they were able to get a pre-order in. And the two that actually have a Switch (review units) have been gloating and smug about having one and how much fun it is.

Not sure how much detail they'll go into, but they are planning to talk a bit more about the Zelda game on Switch. It's a 3 hour podcast, and there's 2 more hours still.

Regards,
SB

Talking more about the Switch now.
  • Built in controls are small but not uncomfortable.
  • Feels sturdy.
  • Replaced Nintendo style D-pad with 4 button style D-pad.
  • Amiibo is recognized when touched to a Pro controller.
  • Hated the pro controller at events. Final version of the pro controller much different from ones shown at events. Much better now and it's actually good.
  • Pro-controller also works for motion control just like the built in controllers.
Bad things
  • Wishes he could rebind buttons in Zelda for personalized controls.
  • Battery life. About 2.5-3.0 hours for Zelda. However, you can bring a USB-C portable battery to recharge it. Not proprietary charger anymore!!! YAY!!!
He's already upgraded his review unit to 512 GB of storage for 80 USD. He plans to buy all games digitally.

Dangit, I really want one now. Before I wanted one, but not in a big way. Now, I'm afraid demand will be so high that I might not be able to get one for 6 months. :p

Regards,
SB

I saw the switch in stores yesterday, no demo unit yet though.

The controllers are really bright in real life! Much brighter than on pictures.

The unit looks fairly small though obviously not as small as a smartphone or 3ds. The controllers looked a bit small to me but not that much more than Nintendo's other handhelds.

I do whish they made the borders around the screen a bit smaller, probably could have but in a bigger screen?

By the way, the vent on top looks pretty big to me. Same size as on my laptop at work (core i5).

I'm really tempted to buy one but I think I'll wait until next month at least. Blew my budget on shiny things for my gf's birthday... Probably should have just given her a switch with Mario kart :LOL:

But why is coop on the Switch better than coop on the other consoles?

I wouldn't say that it's better, but since you can bring the unit with you it means you can have friends pop into a game at any point. Say you're playing Mario Kart at McDonalds while waiting for a friend. He gets there and orders his food. You can now play full on Mario Kart with your buddy in a McDonalds with no problem while you guys wait.

While I'd consider the joy-cons more "paddle" like rather than full on controllers, I think they're fine for quick, on the go co-op games. Should especially be great for road trips, conventions, etc.

I will resist buying the Switch with Zelda right now and wait a year to see if all the 3DS games franchises are carried over, because there are a number I'd love to play on the go (or more accurately at the office during lunch break ^^)

I guess the two controllers and focus will make coop more prevalent. But for local coop, split screen options are way better on a large, 1080p TV. The ideal for portable local coop is coop games on mobile I think, but of course getting that to work well is trickier than a self-contained unit that doesn't have to worry about networks for multiplayer.

Obviously no split-screen for one..

Except for Mario Kart where with 4 players playing you have 16 different views, where there is 4 player split-acreen on every Switch handheld device.

CA35DTN.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back