AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Quite the letdown there. Anyway, the little reveal about the card being RX Vega makes me wonder if there are two Vegas anymore and now it is kinda confirmed that the 580 card that popped up in AotS is a souped up Polaris 10, unless that was an elaborate hoax.

Nope, the CPUs are just 3, 5 and 7, not R-anything.
RX just for GPUs, APUs might still go with R3/5/7 or whatever (meaning Raven Ridges obviously)
Well Lisa Su (and other AMD folks) did call them R5 & R7 during the launch event (R being the diminutive of Ryzen obviously). It's also in their official slides...
AMD%20Ryzen%20Tech%20Day%20-%20Lisa%20Su%20Keynote-33.jpg

Well Lisa Su (and other AMD folks) did call them R5 & R7 during the launch event (R being the diminutive of Ryzen obviously). It's also in their official slides...
I understand calling it "R7" as in short for "Ryzen 7" but not "Ryzen R7" like the slide, so the slide seems to fail.
For some meat around the claim:
AMD's press release calls it Ryzen 7, not Ryzen R7 http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/ryzen-7-2017feb22.aspx
AMD's Ryzen pre-order site calls it's Ryzen 7, not Ryzen R7 http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/ryzen-pre-order
Here's for example unboxing, clearly saying 7 on the box, not R7 (skip to 3:20 on video) http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...-the-ryzen-7-1800x-reviewer-kit-from-amd.html
All retailers are selling Ryzen 7's, not Ryzen R7's

I understand calling it "R7" as in short for "Ryzen 7" but not "Ryzen R7" like the slide, so the slide seems to fail.
For some meat around the claim:
AMD's press release calls it Ryzen 7, not Ryzen R7 http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/ryzen-7-2017feb22.aspx
AMD's Ryzen pre-order site calls it's Ryzen 7, not Ryzen R7 http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/ryzen-pre-order
Here's for example unboxing, clearly saying 7 on the box, not R7 (skip to 3:20 on video) http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...-the-ryzen-7-1800x-reviewer-kit-from-amd.html
All retailers are selling Ryzen 7's, not Ryzen R7's
I'm in total agreement with you here. But the fact remains that AMD/everybody in the world will no doubt call them R5, R7 or RWhatever in the foreseeable future just like they already did publically and in their own slides so Radeon RX Vega doesn't really surprise at all or shock me when you take this into account. Just like Intel Core i7 7700K (it's the Intel Core line of CPUs), AMD Ryzen R7 1700X (AMD Ryzen line of CPUs) is the same nomenclature. IMHO

So Vega is a single GPU and not a family?

Not necessarily. Just like there was Fury X, Fury, and Fury Nano there could be Vega X, Vega, Vega Nano, Vega Soemthing else. Whereas all Fury variants used the same GPU, that doesn't have to be the case with all Vega variants.

Regards,
SB

Not necessarily. Just like there was Fury X, Fury, and Fury Nano there could be Vega X, Vega, Vega Nano, Vega Soemthing else. Whereas all Fury variants used the same GPU, that doesn't have to be the case with all Vega variants.

Regards,
SB
To nitpick, the 'Fury Nano' was instead R9 Nano, so while all Fury variants used the Fiji die not all Fiji dies were Fury branded.

Nvidia has the 3 fastest cards in the world atm.
what is AMD and Raja doing?
developer conference instead of hyping Vega?
in one week a 700$ 35% up from 1080 is out, Vega is killed before its even out

Nvidia has the 3 fastest cards in the world atm.
what is AMD and Raja doing?
developer conference instead of hyping Vega?
in one week a 700$ 35% up from 1080 is out, Vega is killed before its even out
Seeing how good Zen is, AMD must have spent majority of their RaD budget for CPUs. Seeing Polaris which was a pure pipe-cleaning product with no major improvement. Vega is probably budget constrained too.

At least they showed HBCC in action with pretty substantial improvements in minimum frames per second. One questions remains, will this need dev. support or is driver going to do all its magic to manage memory pages?

At least they showed HBCC in action with pretty substantial improvements in minimum frames per second. One questions remains, will this need dev. support or is driver going to do all its magic to manage memory pages?
Already wrote a system to do it myself, but it won't work on PC because of API getting in the way. (Yes even D3D12/Vulkan)
So either an extension to Vulkan (but it sounds tricky) or fully automated (which brings questions about low level API relevance [I don't mean they are useless just less useful and should have allowed easy mem management])

Seeing Polaris which was a pure pipe-cleaning product with no major improvement. Vega is probably budget constrained too.
Polaris improved the fixed function geometry hardware significantly. Unfortunately it was a middle tier product, bottlenecked by raw performance, so the improvements were mostly seen in synthetic benchmarks. Fury X with Polaris geometry hardware would have been much better. Vega adds tiled rasterizer (similar to Nvidia) fixing another fixed function hardware bottleneck. With these improvements in place, they can finally release a 64 CU monster with HBM(2) and expect to see it perform well.

Yeah, every project is always budget-constrained at any company, but between the tiled rasterizer, HBCC and HBM2, the new Compute Units with full FP16 support, higher IPC, higher clock speeds, the primitive shaders, improved load balancing, the linkage of ROPs and L2, and whatever additional surprises Vega might still hold, it really doesn't seem (on paper, admittedly) like a half-assed project.

Yep, but AMD needs a top to bottom solution, not just the upper most performance tier, at 12TF and then the 5,8TF Polaris.
They should try asap to fill this gap with Vega, not with Polaris rehashes.

Supposedly there are two Vega chips, but I do agree that three would be necessary. Perhaps things will be better with Navi.

Supposedly there are two Vega chips, but I do agree that three would be necessary. Perhaps things will be better with Navi.
There are two discrete Vega chips, but Raven Ridge is most probably coming with GPUs carrying Vega architecture.
Polaris chips are probably going down in price even further in 2017 as RX500 parts. I'm guessing the currently cut-down RX460 will lower to $70 and the full P11 will do the $90 mark (as R7 550 cards?), RX470 4GB will go down to $140/150 as RX560 and RX480 8GB will go down to $190/200 as RX570.
Then there's two Vega chips for cards ranging between $250 and $550. Maybe one RX Vega and a Fury Vega?

If the performance matches the price point, I think this is a nice line-up for 2017. Something 2016 failed at doing.

Refresh: AMD Radeon RX Vega XTX Pro :p
XTX Pro never existed, but XTX PE did! (or was it XT PE?)
Then there's two Vega chips for cards ranging between $250 and $550. Maybe one RX Vega and a Fury Vega?
"Vega" in the name is in same position as Fury was, so most likely "RX Nano", "RX Vega" and "RX Vega X" (or replace X with something else)

Back