Easiest free movie editor

Davros

Legend
All i want to do is cut a large chunk out of the middle of a movie and join the 2 halves together
Ive tried windows movie maker and its awfull
ps: it would be great if it could delete a section without having to re render the entire film

Lightworks, May not be the easiest but you should be able to work it out how to do the above within 10 minutes and its free and powerful (many hollywood films use it)

Would I be able to cut a section out of a film join the 2 halves together without having to re-render or re-encode the film ? (mp4)

All i want to do is cut a large chunk out of the middle of a movie and join the 2 halves together
Ive tried windows movie maker and its awfull
ps: it would be great if it could delete a section without having to re render the entire film
It is a limited editor hence I find it to be one of the simplest to use. You can use freeware editor like Shotcut.

Additionally, there is this amazing webpage called alternativeto.net which helps you find alternatives /free,commercial,whatever/ to the programs you are familiar with and want to try something similar but better. So, these are the alternatives to Movie Maker:

http://alternativeto.net/software/windows-movie-maker/

Would I be able to cut a section out of a film join the 2 halves together without having to re-render or re-encode the film ? (mp4)
yeah simple I used it to make this clip from a film, as you can see I must of joined ~30 clips together

Not a movie editor, but this can be accomplished fairly simple with ffmpeg.
ffmpeg -i movie-name -acodec copy -vcodec copy -ss 00:00:00 -t 01:00:00 output1.mp4 && ffmpeg -i movie-name -acodec copy -vcodec copy -ss 01:10:00 -t 01:00:00 output2.mp4
This will split a file into two files, the first one containing the first hour, the second from 1:10:00 until it's hypothetical end at 2:10:00. If the movie is shorter, let's say 1:50:00 it will work too, so you don't have to know the length. Just put the right numbers to skip. Then generate input.txt file and put on it:
file output1
file output2
Then enter on command line:
ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i input.txt -c copy final-output.mp4
and be done with that.

Last edited:
ffmpeg -i movie-name -acodec copy -vcodec copy -ss 00:00:00 -t 01:00:00 output1.mp4 && ffmpeg -i movie-name -acodec copy -vcodec copy -ss 01:10:00 -t 01:00:00 output2.mp4

Isn't "&&" a feature of the Linux/Unix shell?

If so under Windows simply run one command after another :
ffmpeg -i movie-name -acodec copy -vcodec copy -ss 00:00:00 -t 01:00:00 output1.mp4
ffmpeg -i movie-name -acodec copy -vcodec copy -ss 01:10:00 -t 01:00:00 output2.mp4

when you say ffmpeg -i movie-name
do you mean exactly that or for example if my movie is called dav1.mp4 do you mean ffmpeg -i dav1.mp4

Isn't "&&" a feature of the Linux/Unix shell?

If so under Windows simply run one command after another :

True, should have thought about that.

when you say ffmpeg -i movie-name
do you mean exactly that or for example if my movie is called dav1.mp4 do you mean ffmpeg -i dav1.mp4

Yes, dav1.mp4

Anyway, a shorter way that I didn't think about at the time:

ffmpeg -i movie-name -c copy -ss 00:00:00 -t 01:00:00 output1.mp4
ffmpeg -i movie-name -c copy -ss 01:10:00 -t 01:00:00 output2.mp4

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/static/ffmpeg-20170225-7e4f32f-win64-static.zip

I went with avidemux because I was worried about making a mistake when using the commandline
and it was fantastic
set start maker
set end marker
delete
save
and it saved in less than 2 minutes (at below normal priority)

Back