AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

AMD%20Ryzen%20Tech%20Day%20-%20Lisa%20Su%20Keynote-33.jpg
This confirms that 6800K and 6900K were only equipped with two memory modules -> dual channel memory mode. Quad channel doubles peak memory bandwidth. Ryzen 8-core and Intel 4-core both have dual channel memory bus (and Intel Xeon D as well). But it seems odd that the Intel quad channel chips are not equipped with optimal memory config.

PCWorld also noticed this:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3172...-preview-ryzen-7-outperforms-intels-best.html

So we can't yet conclude whether these are realistic results. Nobody would equip their 6900K with only two memory modules. As Cinebench R15 doesn't use AVX, both advantages of Intel chips (double memory bandwidth, double vector FLOPS) couldn't be seen. Would be interesting to see how Ryzen stacks up in software taking advantage of maximum memory bandwidth and/or AVX.

This confirms that 6800K and 6900K were only equipped with two memory modules -> dual channel memory mode. Quad channel doubles peak memory bandwidth. Ryzen 8-core and Intel 4-core both have dual channel memory bus (and Intel Xeon D as well). But it seems odd that the Intel quad channel chips are not equipped with optimal memory config.

PCWorld also noticed this:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3172...-preview-ryzen-7-outperforms-intels-best.html

So we can't yet conclude whether these are realistic results. Nobody would equip their 6900K with only two memory modules. As Cinebench R15 doesn't use AVX, both advantages of Intel chips (double memory bandwidth, double vector FLOPS) couldn't be seen. Would be interesting to see how Ryzen stacks up in software taking advantage of maximum memory bandwidth and/or AVX.

That would be PCWorld grasping at straws, I mean they know the difference already:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2982...e-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.html

edit:they already state this in their article, lol..

Last edited:
So now I'm really interested in how well the base 1700 overclocks as that will be the factor to decide my purchase. I'm torn between a 6 core 1600X 95w with higher base clock and possibly more overclock headroom, or a base 8 core 1700 65w. Of course we don't have any indication on when they'll be released the R5 line but I can't imagine it would be more than a month or 2 after R7 release?

Of course the 95W CPUs don't come with a CPU fan so that's an extra cost bringing them closer together. Since the 1700X and 1800X don't come with coolers, what are people going to use to cool their pre-ordered Ryzen's? A search on newegg and amazon came up with a total of 1 available Noctua cooler for AM4.

Of course the 95W CPUs don't come with a CPU fan so that's an extra cost bringing them closer together. Since the 1700X and 1800X don't come with coolers, what are people going to use to cool their pre-ordered Ryzen's? A search on newegg and amazon came up with a total of 1 available Noctua cooler for AM4.
Coolers which attach directly to motherboards own cooling-frame-thingy fit Ryzens too (even if the cooler says it's just Socket 775 - FM2+ compatible).
If the cooler however uses it's own cooling frame and goes through the holes on the motherboard, it requires either adapter or AM4-specific design

If the cooler however uses it's own cooling frame and goes through the holes on the motherboard, it requires either adapter or AM4-specific design

Or a Asus Crosshair board with AM3 holes (as far as I can see on the video, haven't been able to spot them on others)

Ryzen 3/5 release dates:
AMD-Ryzen-5-and-3-1000x291.jpg

(as sebbi explained this is probably the best for the brand building, avoiding the possible slower-and-cheaper moniker in the first wave)

:D Would be better without the hard drive though, so they could use the 1700x instead, matching the speed.

It supports AMD-V, so it's quite safe to assume at this day and age that it also supports Hyper-V

I guess question is if hyper-v fully supports ryzen yet (it naturally will soon at least)

Ryzen 3/5 release dates:
*image snipped*
(as sebbi explained this is probably the best for the brand building, avoiding the possible slower-and-cheaper moniker in the first wave)

Another way it can help in the case of salvage chips is that, ideally, the number of the fully enabled chips is high, with progressively hobbled and cheaper chips more and more rare.

However, the more hobbled chips would have a more desirable price. Collecting enough chips you hopefully don't make too many of while satisfying as many of the upper tier might take time.
Also, if the quad cores are launched sometime in the second half, perhaps it means there's overlap with Raven Ridge chips with faulty GPUs?

Have they ever sold APUs as CPUs with broken GPU components? Is that actually possible?

Ryzen 3/5 release dates:
AMD-Ryzen-5-and-3-1000x291.jpg

Personally, I've been ready for quite a while now. There's only so much ready a guy can handle in one sitting though.

How times will changes

409f51a89e0517601c7100a7ef1e68b3.jpg

haha nice comparison. AMD should totally use that :LOL:

"You got stiffed by our competitor because we weren't at the party"™®©

Sorry to sound overly negative people but lets get real here. AMD have a great product on their hands, that is pretty clear, barring any really underhand shite which I more or less trust them not to do.

But lets be realistic here - they are delivering the product today that they should be delivering today. They have spent what ... 4, 5, 6 years buggering about, most of which was self-inflicted. Intel pulled a whole pile of crap, but they didn't force AMD to choose previous architecture. They are now back where they should have been all along. Great. I am happy because next time I buy a CPU, be it AMD or Intel, I might not get my pants pulled down over the price. Doesn't mean that AMD are the second coming though.

As for pricing, I think I said this many pages back, but if they have a product that's really competitive with a $1k+ Intel product and they are going to sell it for half that then if I was an AMD shareholder (or debt-holder) I'd be booting up my lawyers.

Last edited:
But lets be realistic here - they are delivering the product today that they should be delivering today. They have spent what ... 4, 5, 6 years buggering about, most of which was self-inflicted. Intel pulled a whole pile of crap, but they didn't force AMD to choose previous architecture. They are now back where they should have been all along. Great. I am happy because next time I buy a CPU, be it AMD or Intel, I might not get my pants pulled down over the price. Doesn't mean that AMD are the second coming though.
There will always be fans that consider it the second coming. The sensible ones will see it as what it is. That they finally have an (apparently) high performing CPU that is competitive with Intel, allow consumers not specifically targetting ultra-cheap PC builds to have a choice.

Back