Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Steam is much more open and friendly if one ever intends to own something other than oculus vr headset.

Yeah, but not if anyone intends to use any other shop. So it is open in different areas. Or maybe we can realise that "open" is not a very descriptive word to describe the different shops.

Steam being more open means Steam sells games that are compatible with headsets other than Steam's own model. Oculus' store only sells for the Oculus model.

How someone can look at these facts and somehow twist them around suggesting Steam is less open is just mind boggling. Or silly, as suggested in a previous post.

Valve's recent VR based interview was interesting. The reporting of it I saw glossed over a few points I thought.

The three games they have in development are big games, not smaller experiments. The new games are being built around the new controllers.

They expect 2018/19 VR displays to exceed desktop in refresh and resolution. Apparently several display manufacturers have started looking at proper VR displays rather than trimmed phone screens.

Plus, other stuff about how they see the market developing.

Full interview:

Last edited:
SteamVR lighthouse is getting better and cheaper. It's also compatible with old version so no harm done to existing customers.

“It’s cheaper, it’s smaller, it’s lighter, less noise, lower power, and we think it will be able to track a little better, have a little better field of view.” said Ludwig, who works closely on Valve’s tracking technology. “Basically the next-generation. Better in every way.”

http://www.roadtovr.com/closeup-next-generation-steamvr-tracking-base-station-better-every-way/

Valve has just released Steam Audio:

https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/

Steam Audio delivers a full-featured audio solution that integrates environment and listener simulation. HRTF significantly improves immersion in VR; physics-based sound propagation completes aural immersion by consistently recreating how sound interacts with the virtual environment.

RYWSTuM.jpg

Audio is finally coming back to the forefront this year. Real-time HRTF-based Binaural audio will also be natively supported & integrated in the Windows 10 Creators update on PC and the Xbox One

Oculus dramatically reduces prices for headset and peripherals:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davide...slashes-prices-on-rift-hardware/#783f7799a53a

Remember when Luckey last year said Oculus was being sold at production cost? Well...

Iribe says Oculus is able to cut prices because the company has reduced the costs associated with manufacturing the high-tech headset, but also because it's been allowed to produce thinner margins and rely on the deep pockets of parent company Facebook.

It's a great start for PCVR to have a cheap point of entry.
599 for Rift plus touch controllers, this almost equals
399 PSVR, 59 PS camera, 79 PS move controller bundle.

With PC fans claiming PC VR had over a 100 million devices more powerful than PS4, PCVR now has no more excuses for selling less than PSVR.

Those annoyances aside, the immersion in general is excellent. The kinaesthetic nature of your interactions with the game make it feel very naturalistic, very rewarding, to play. Be that shooting weapons, grabbing robots off their feet, or grabbing bullets and rockets out of the sky. The fact that you’re pulling off Neo-esque manoeuvres and Batman-style takedowns is entertaining even after several hours, and it’s a credit to the team behind the game that you rarely fail to achieve what you want to: you grab what you intend to, where you intend to, when you intend to. In a game moving this quickly, that’s no mean feat.

and its' free

http://www.roadtovr.com/robo-recall-review/

Debuted at GDC 2017 and announced via their official blog, Oculus offer a first look at some of the titles coming to Rift and Gear VR in 2017. This includes 6 new game reveals across multiple genres, with 4 optimised for Touch and 2 “must haves” for Gear VR.
http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-reveals-6-new-vr-titles-gdc/

Another Review:

https://uploadvr.com/robo-recall-review/

As most VR content this look like nothing more than an experience/tech-demo..but it's free so no complain from me. Will hopefully try it out soon once I get my hands back on my Rift which Is at work. Based on the users comment it seems like the teleporting mechanism is not great and also broken when used in room-scale mode (with 3 cameras).

Anyway the most interesting par is the use of the new Forward Rendering path in UE4....and....from what I briefly tested yesterday in another game/XP called ROM Extraction (which was ironically on stage at AMD's event...) it's still total horse-shit in terms of performances on AMD GPUs so something must be wrong somewhere (cause Unity/source 2 content works perfectly fine as usual). I was averaging at 50% (!) frames re-projection with everything set to minimum on my home's Radeon Fury X which is totally ridiculous as I can run most of the non UE4 VR content with 1.3 SuperSampling with at most 7% re-projection...Maybe Rom's implementation is totally borked ?

Edit: ROM Extraction is indeed totally broken http://steamcommunity.com/app/530960/discussions/0/133258593381248472/ but the devs seems to think that it only affects users who upgraded from the previous version (with the deferred renderer) to the new version and that the settings are broken. Well, I never had that version (and many users either) before so something else is definitely going on as Nvidia users are also having the same perf issues ...will try it out again once the patch is out.

Last edited:
My comments on robo recall after playing for while. It's a lot of fun and amazing experience but no real depth. Though I would say same thing about doom, quake or counterstrike.

My comments on robo recall after playing for while. It's a lot of fun and amazing experience but no real depth. Though I would say same thing about doom, quake or counterstrike.
Can you tell me more about your PC config/specs and how well it ran on it compared to other UE4 VR content?

Can you tell me more about your PC config/specs and how well it ran on it compared to other UE4 VR content?

I have nvidia 780GHz edition and intel i5-4670k. Game settings defaulted to low, 2xmsaa, 0.7 pixel density.

The game seemed smooth and I didn't notice anything annoying in regards to performance

I have nvidia 780GHz edition and intel i5-4670k. Game settings defaulted to low, 2xmsaa, 0.7 pixel density.

The game seemed smooth and I didn't notice anything annoying in regards to performance
780 o_O Get yourself a 1070 already! :D Running VR below native resolution (0.7 :() should be a outlawed! :runaway:

780 o_O Get yourself a 1070 already! :D Running VR below native resolution (0.7 :() should be a outlawed! :runaway:

Gaming dangerously is my middle name. Though gpu upgrade is long overdue and I should get something. Maybe I'm waiting for vega to come out before seriously contemplating gpu upgrade. I'll probably want to get something quite high end and then stick with that for the next 3-4years.

The price cut news was a bummer, I preordered and got an Oculus Touch at the end of the last year, but I've been busy and it's on the floor of my room without unwrapped... they say those who activated it in 30 days before the price cut get a $50 coupon but I hadn't even activated it.

If HTC Vive follows the price cut it's cool though, with LG entering SteamVR.

Back