Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I use firefox. Do edge and chrome have that built-in flash support thing where flash is supported out-of-the-box without a plugin?
Yes it does. But I have Flash disabled under chrome://plugins and Youtube works fine.

Well I use firefox. Do edge and chrome have that built-in flash support thing where flash is supported out-of-the-box without a plugin?

Its a built in supported content type without plugin.

There are still quite a lot of YouTube movies restricted to non-mobile devices for some stupid reason.

Yeah I guess it's a "mobile vs non-mobile" thing instead of lack of flash support, but if flash content happened to be really rare then some browsers wouldn't have built-in support for it.
But having built-in support for flash is obviously better than having to install the Adobe flash plug-in.

Yeah I guess it's a "mobile vs non-mobile" thing instead of lack of flash support, but if flash content happened to be really rare then some browsers wouldn't have built-in support for it.
But having built-in support for flash is obviously better than having to install the Adobe flash plug-in.

I'm more of the opinion that having no flash at all is the better option. One of the biggest things I'm grateful to Apple for is that they have been a strong driver in getting rid of Flash.

I'm more of the opinion that having no flash at all is the better option. One of the biggest things I'm grateful to Apple for is that they have been a strong driver in getting rid of Flash.
Now I don't know what causes the problem that I have just described a few posts ago, and I'm not really defending flash, but I've lost count of how many times in the past I had to stop browsing the web on my iPad and go to my PC simply because some video or website wouldn't work correctly due to lack of flash support on the iPad. Things are much better nowadays obviously.
I prefer having no flash by default but still having the option to install it if really necessary.

my utility that uses memory as a read/write cache, and spare space on a SSD to cache reads on spinner hard drives
Interesting idea but I don't think I'd trust a 3rd party tool to do that rather than OS or maybe official HDD drivers.

Interesting idea but I don't think I'd trust a 3rd party tool to do that rather than OS or maybe official HDD drivers.
Well, Samsung offers the memory as cache thing, though not with as much. IIRC AMD SSDs offered free RAM drive software when purchased. But yeah, a glitch is always possible. This a fairly popular utility, some would even call it "Primo", and though I'm not connected to the company I'll just let people google for it if they're interested.

I browse their forums and word on the street is why might see some new options with the next update. We might get the option to not read-cache videos, and we might get the option to write-cache to a SSD so as to speed up spinner drives. That could be really useful if you can spare an old SSD, or just a dedicated partition on it, for those reads and writes. The utility can even pre-fetch your cache at boot-up. It works fairly intelligently and drops stuff from the pre-fetch that haven't been used in a while.

I did the experiment after disabling flash and youtube says
About 430,000 results

ps: when disableing flash I also told opera to prompt me if anything wants to take control of my midi device and some adverts do

I did the experiment after disabling flash and youtube says
About 430,000 results

ps: when disableing flash I also told opera to prompt me if anything wants to take control of my midi device and some adverts do
what do you mean by MIDI device for adverts?Do you use an external MIDI synth to play audio on your PC? I did that for a long while, using my Roland SD-50 for everything audio related. But I wonder why anything on the net would like to take control of your midi device.

@Cyan my soundcard has 2 midi synth's
but why midi ? the adverts audio is not in midi format (midi is basically digital sheet music)
its in a recorded format like wav or pcm or mp3
i3j31Ju.jpg

Last edited:
It just means the ad is trying to play audio in the browser.
that's the usual behaviour, but why the MIDI device, which works in a completely different way than a typical audio processor that plays pre-recorded audio. A website should never need a MIDI device to play sound except in some specific cases like pages with MIDI files sounding in the background, which were not uncommon back in the day --though I haven't found any of those in like a decade or so.

A stupid thing, but my taskbar has been staying onscreen when I make movies/videos fullscreen. It started a little while ago, after my "safe rebuild" thingy. Found a stupid fix for it yesterday.

Just go to task manager and restart Explorer.exe, that's it. Then it'll be fine until next boot.

Figured I hadn't contributed much to this, but having real fulscreen back has made my life a bit better so I thought I'd share the tip. :)

I have my taskbar set to autohide
me too,my laptop's screen is very small,11" and when multitasking I want all the space I can get. I have it placed to the left so it's less annoying and gives extra vertical space, plus with programs that have several instances open its easier to switch from one instance to another.

Now Edge has a different support for flash -insider build-. Instead of a slider to turn it on & off, it just asks you whether you want to enable the flash content or not.

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/25/microsoft-edges-something-missing-on-this-page-message/

The company switched the integrated Flash Player in Edge to click to play some time ago. While that works reasonably well for Flash elements that are highly visible on a page, you may miss the "select for Adobe Flash" instruction for others.

The most recent version of Edge therefore ships with a one-time reminder, and a new icon in the browser's address bar to manage Flash in the browser.

The reminder reads:

Something missing on the page?

Top help you stay safe, we've blocked Adobe Flash. Click here to turn it on.

You may use it to allow Adobe Flash content to run once, or always, on the site you are on. Flash will be enabled then for the session, or permanently when you visit the site.

@Cyan my soundcard has 2 midi synth's
but why midi ? the adverts audio is not in midi format (midi is basically digital sheet music)
its in a recorded format like wav or pcm or mp3
i3j31Ju.jpg
Davros,is that you?
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33661

I was looking for Yamaha soft synths to accompany my Yamaha S-YXG50 soft synth, that I love so much, and found that thread.

Additionally, I've had many many MIDI players but the best one I've ever had I found it recently, it is MIDIPlayer 4.4. It has all the features I ever wanted in a little pocket MIDI Player,kudos to the creator of that incredible software. I use it to play my MIDI files using the Yamaha S-YXG50 and my Roland TTS1 soft synth that came with Music Creator 6 -though I had to find the VSTi version, Edirol Hyper Canvas.

http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

Posted this somewhere else, but I think this is worth sharing...

A guy installs the first version of MS-DOS, and he upgrades it to all versions of Windows until it reaches 10, and he checks if the programs and documents continue to run at every leap.

The PC, a world of almost infinite backwards compatibility.:oops::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back