Dark Souls 2 [PS4, XO]

D

Deleted member 11852

2420857-2571372632-Dark-.jpg

Surprisingly I couldn't find a thread for the remaster, which releases on the 7th April.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Dark Souls 2 on PS4

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have the pre-massive-downgrade graphics this time around?
no... Maybe they had made those lighting setups only for the demo evels and never imlpemented in other areas. If they had brought back that lighting model back, I would have actually considered this at a sale price, just to soak up the brooding atmosphere.

Bloodborne is anyways acing the mood ! Can't wait for march end.

This is about £24 (for you Brits) on PSN right now.

I purchased it and it feels very much like Bloodborne so far, which is obviously a good thing.

I like it a lot. Already addicted.

Never been into RPGs but these death/reward games are pretty good.

I have it on my ps3 but that price tag is tempting to me too....but I don't think I can go back to the slower gameplay after BB. Also, that reminds me I was nowhere near completing BB when Witcher arrives, I need to go back!

Played it a lot over the weekend. Seems to be a really nice upgrade over the PS3 version. Speaking about the visuals: too bad you can only polish a turd so much. I mean, the bump in texture res and the framerate is certainly appreciated, but no amount of added bling is gonna change the fact that some of those environments always looked and will forever look incredibly bland. The Shaded Woods have to be among the poorest renditions of a forest area in any halfway recent game. Compared to similar areas in Bloodborne, they look downright pitiful.
Still, it's a damn fine game, and after emerging from the puddle that was Bloodborne, diving back into the oceanic depths of DS2 is much appreciated. I just hope From is gonna go with 30fps and sumptuous visuals for DS3, because despite DS2's slick framerate, Bloodborne is still a vastly more responsive game that also looks outstanding.

Is on sale for just $12 for a few more hours. Couldn't help and I grabbed it, I have no idea why, but I did. i never really did play it on the ps3 much which I feel guilty about. To think of it I never finished BB or DS3 either. Strangely I still go into those games , play some kill a boss and leave. I do not understand my behaviour with these games at all. I mean they reward perseverance and there I go beat a boss and happoliy trot off to some other game to comeback later when everything feels pointless in other games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
I guess now I will be going into DS 2 too......toot toot !

Opening areas look really good on the ps4. Somethings feel so different:
1) Dark areas are pitch dark now ! I guess they really wanted this to be DARK souls.
2) This feels very wrong, the Knight with the gait that we met under the tree in the first real fight, he is all over the Heide's Tower of flame now. It loses all the magic because it was the first real encounter in the ps3 version but now it feels like he is just another foot soldier cloned everywhere. What a stupid thing to do. Why?
3) There seems to be real input lag here. i can clearly see a gap between the time I press the circle button and when the character dodges. Feels really off coming from DS3.

Playing the Sorceror for the first time. As long as u have the soul arrows, you are in God mode ! What a weird class, no wonder my nephew, who was really young back then, used to spam this class. But he never got anywhere honestly, just kept farming one giant at the tower each run. Should I just go back to th eknight or is the sorceror a viable class ? cos it seems I willl anyways have to level up strength to use swords once my spells finish. Which feels counterproductive.

Last edited:
The added Heide Knights were among the cooler changes I thought. They made the tower area more interesting, and they also fit in rather nicely from a lore perspective. Overall I'd call the remaster a tremendous improvement.

The added Heide Knights were among the cooler changes I thought. They made the tower area more interesting, and they also fit in rather nicely from a lore perspective. Overall I'd call the remaster a tremendous improvement.
Not aware of the lore at all. For me he felt like a unique npc back then. Now I can see two of them in the same screen right at the entry of Tower level. He is just another tough guy now.
I should brush up on vaatividya 's lore videos.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Well, he's a "Heide Knight". Seeing a bunch of Heide Knights hang out at a location called "Heide's tower of flame" seems appropriate. He was never unique, by the way. There are multiple Heide Knights in the original DS2 as well.

Back