Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

Straight from gaf, this is included in the review materials apparently:

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

Does it mean until the patch there is no pro support?
Edit: Probably there is, but it renders checkerboard on 1080p too

Straight from gaf, this is included in the review materials apparently:

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."
Interesting, but if anything ROTTR's Quality mode has taught me, the boosted visuals in 1080p is far less significant than its 4k mode. Peeps would have a field day dissecting it tho:).

Interesting, but if anything ROTTR's Quality mode has taught me, the boosted visuals in 1080p is far less significant than its 4k mode. Peeps would have a field day dissecting it tho:).

This was my take too. I played in both Pro modes for a couple of hours each and the extra visuals were marginal whereas the extra definition was in your face.

EG review == unimpressed.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is a work of considerable finesse and technical bravado, but it falls into the trap of past Guerrilla games in being all too forgettable. For all its skin-deep dynamism it lacks spark; somewhat like the robotic dinosaurs that stalk its arrestingly beautiful open world, this is a mimic that's all dazzle, steel and neon yet can feel like it's operating without a heart of its own.

From what I read so it seems to be like some singleplayer Ubisoft Open World games (Far Cry, AC, Watch Dogs). Especially like Far Cry Primal. Skill tree, making things etc. Even some names of the skills are the same. Death from above etc.

I like that but I just hope the one bad sequence was an exception.

In an Open World game cutscenes are only a small part to drive the story and sidestories. However a credible and atmospheric game world where you can enter is important. The gameplay must be good, the missions/ side missions must be varied and interesting and there should be a feeling of freedom with many possibilities of employment.

It can be a good game without convincing cutscenes, characters and story. When Red Dead Redemption 2 is released you do not need a story in principle. It is sufficient if one is exposed in the world and simply does what one wants and has his fun. Whether it is hunting or simply explore the world. If an Open World game manages to fence away from the story already then it is largely done.

But some real progress would be nice again. In the last 10 years nothing really new has been done about single player Open World games. They stagnating at the core.

Far Cry Primal had fantastic nights. i fact pretty close to the ones shown here. The nights were the reason I liked that game.

I do not know the game well enough at night.

Last edited:
Even th eplaystation Access guys say at one point though its all familiar things, they come together to form a unique and special thing.

i can understadn that because it does sound all lifted from other games when u pick out each feature, yet everyone is praising it to heaven. It does seem like a case of the points sounding genric but coming together as an amazing experience: the very goal of every game design.

Even th eplaystation Access guys say at one point though its all familiar things, they come together to form a unique and special thing.

i can understadn that because it does sound all lifted from other games when u pick out each feature, yet everyone is praising it to heaven. It does seem like a case of the points sounding genric but coming together as an amazing experience: the very goal of every game design.

All game take inspiration from another games, what matters is execution. It seems the game combat are very good, the gameworld is good and the story is pretty good. After all Open world share some similarities. In The Witcher 3 no towers but the sign take the same roles and so on...

EDIT: And I can find similarities between all Open world even the Rockstar one...

Last edited:
Back