Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't work out what to spawn and what to keep, so I'm just drawing a line on Windows and MS talk here. Please return conversation to more immediate discussion of the mid gen machines and don't be surprised if replies to these subthreads get removed.

Can't work out what to spawn and what to keep, so I'm just drawing a line on Windows and MS talk here. Please return conversation to more immediate discussion of the mid gen machines and don't be surprised if replies to these subthreads get removed.
1f08bf4257977716754657aa9f160172.gif

I think one of the things overlooked by Scorpio is that while it may not be considered a fully new gen console it will still likely have a significant leg up on PS4 Pro. While it's true that both PS4 Pro and Socprio can't have exclusives.. the differences in how the games are developed might make a difference. PS4 Pro games are basically PS4 code with tweaks...whereas it is possible that Scorpio games could end up effectively being optimized PC (UWP) sideports that are better able to exploit the full hardware. In other words developers may have better flexibility working with Scorpio compared to PS4 pro.

Then factor in the aprrox 42% greater gpu power and memory bandwidth (plus more memory available if 12GB true). While it might not always hit 4K native it's going to have significant leg in terms of performance.

Last edited:
Nothing new but again reaffirms Scorpio launching in Holiday 2017...so I guess any speculation that it would be 2018 is subdued...but Holiday 2017 sounds like it could include December.

Scorpio astrological sign takes place on average between October 23 and November 22.
I don´t have any doubts that this codename for the next box was chosen because of this.

For Ms missing blackfriday and Christmas would be an utter failure after waiting a whole year.

My best guess Scorpio will be released any Thursday or Friday starting on the 26/10 and before Thanksgiving (23/11)

Scorpio astrological sign takes place on average between October 23 and November 22.
I don´t have any doubts that this codename for the next box was chosen because of this.

For Ms missing blackfriday and Christmas would be an utter failure after waiting a whole year.

My best guess Scorpio will be released any Thursday or Friday starting on the 26/10 and before Thanksgiving (23/11)

I don't think missing Black Friday with Project Scorpio would be a big deal. As a new hardware release that will likely be sold out for weeks after release, it's highly unlikely to get a Black Friday sale price.

However, MS will be keen to release it as early in the Holiday Season as they can, so I'd imagine they'll try to release closer to the start of November if possible. Middle of Nov. is possible as well if they go for an "Anniversary" launch. That would coincide with the launch of the XBO, although whether they want to remind people of the launch of the XBO is another thing entirely. :D

Regards,
SB

I don't think missing Black Friday with Project Scorpio would be a big deal. As a new hardware release that will likely be sold out for weeks after release, it's highly unlikely to get a Black Friday sale price.

I mean, not in the sense of getting good deals, or rebates.
In the sense of building momentum and mindshare.

I don´t think it´ll be a soft launch like the pro

I think hitting the market before Black Friday and having enough units coming down the pipeline to sustain demand would be ideal. It wouldn't be disastrous not releasing by Black Friday, but I do think overall momentum would be best if released by that day. It could mean the difference from a decent start to an amazing start. I understand the early adopters will always gobble up the machines first, but releasing by Black Friday and having enough availability through the holiday season will likely garner higher sales initially if production can keep up with demand. I mean, I think releasing before Black Friday may end up causing greater demand for the machine in a roundabout way.

Is there precedent for launching on BF? Are consumers as eager to buy new high-priced items as they are to spend on deals?

Are there any good BF deals for new consoles? Or is it the extras and games that get discounted? Seems odd to me that stores would like to get new hardware and software that'll sell any time but have to put it out there during tight-wad season when they're pressured to cut margins.

Sure the majority of people out there are looking for the deals on Black Friday. I believe it's a given that Scorpio will sell well initially no matter what, but launching before Black Friday means it will be on store shelves on that massive holiday shopping day and could mean increased sales just by being in the periphery. I don't really see the need for a deal on Scorpio on Black Friday as it will be a new system launching (and most powerful) and be able to command a price premium. I would think launching in October even better than a November launch as it allows more time to buildup before the holiday season starts. If Scorpio ends up being a must have item before Black Friday that could have huge sway on demand for that day and the rest of the holiday season. Again it's contingent on if MS is able to produce enough to keep up with demand, but the faster Scorpio establishes sizable userbase the better.

Sure the majority of people out there are looking for the deals on Black Friday. I believe it's a given that Scorpio will sell well initially no matter what, but launching before Black Friday means it will be on store shelves on that massive holiday shopping day and could mean increased sales just by being in the periphery. I don't really see the need for a deal on Scorpio on Black Friday as it will be a new system launching (and most powerful) and be able to command a price premium. I would think launching in October even better than a November launch as it allows more time to buildup before the holiday season starts. If Scorpio ends up being a must have item before Black Friday that could have huge sway on demand for that day and the rest of the holiday season. Again it's contingent on if MS is able to produce enough to keep up with demand, but the faster Scorpio establishes sizable userbase the better.

$499 USD in October.
$399 USD Black Friday.

Go cut throat.

$499 USD in October.
$399 USD Black Friday.

Go cut throat.

Launching before Black Friday ensures that is there when a lot of Americans do there X-Mas shopping. They are in a shopping mood/frenzy and even though the product isn't reduced/or on sale gives visibility for those wanting to get the coolest gizmos for loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back