Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2017]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
New preview season is starting off strong today for a select few with the Xbox One Creator Update. I'm waiting for my update to finish, it's now on the Applying Update step 3 at 93%.

Here's the Xbox One Wired information about it, preview video and selected screenshots below, https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/23/xbox-creators-update-preview/

Updated-Home_Xbox-One.png

Updated-Guide_Xbox-One.png

Achievement_Xbox-One.png

System-Update_Xbox-One.png

Heh, they finally added more to the previous mind numbing update process which took *ages*. Curious if it's faster too.

Got the update. Not a big fan. They removed Snap without replacing it with a similar feature. Hopefully the feedback they are receiving clues them in on how much it means to some of us.

Tommy McClain

They removed snap? WTH!
It's something I've used infrequently, but I did find it useful at times.

I wonder if their internal stats found that not enough people used/cared about it.

Previously I hadn't tested BluRay Bitstream, but now I am digging on seeing my receiver displaying DTS HD Master Audio instead of whatever setting the Xbox was set to output before.

It really only adds functionality if you have DTS-X or Dolby Atmos capability, but there's really no reason *not* to use this either, save maybe avoiding sound dropouts while the receiver switches from PCM to DTS/Dolby bitstream processing.

Got the update. Not a big fan. They removed Snap without replacing it with a similar feature. Hopefully the feedback they are receiving clues them in on how much it means to some of us.

Tommy McClain
thought they were replacing it with overlay which you can choose location of?

maybe it requires apps to be updated to work with it?

They do show off Achievement Tracking Overlays but I have not seen equivalent SNAP functionality. I hope it shows up in future updates with either PIP or Overlay Right or Overlay Left modes. I think they just wanted to get the first bits released before adding in replacement snap mode.

@BRiT how do you have such a high score? what in the hell!

I would have been higher but I wasnt in the beta for xbox one until the second year. I just look for the quests and surveys then attempt to do them when they're available. I hadnt done last nights quests for Alpha ring yet.

I would have been higher but I wasnt in the beta for xbox one until the second year. I just look for the quests and surveys then attempt to do them when they're available. I hadnt done last nights quests for Alpha ring yet.
lol what am I doing wrong, do we ever get notified of quests or surveys? or do we have to manually check the app?

Need to manually keep checking, which is a hassle.
Would be nice to be notified of new surveys.

I haven't received any update since December either. But then I also have better things to do than waste my time on beta quests and surveys which are just plain silly. No problem with reporting real bugs and send system dumps to MS though when required.

If you didn't participate in sending f via the Insider's App, forums or using the Xbox itself, then you were demoted. They only allowed those that were actively giving feedback to get in on the first wave of the Alpha. You're rank in the Insider's App goes a long way to being selected.

Tommy McClain

Hmm... got invited to the Beta ring on Tuesday but still haven't been offered the latest update. I do have the option of going back to I believe it's "Ring Four" if I want.

Alpha, Beta, is the third ring going to be called Charlie? Are they going to go with Gamma instead? Or will it just be numbered like the fourth ring apparently is?

Things to ponder.

There's Alpha, Beta, Ring 3 & Ring 4. Alpha is the most recent with frequent updates. Ring 4 is basically the public version a week or 2 before it ships to everyone else(release candidate if you will). I'm in Alpha. Beta invites just went out. You should have it within 24hrs I would think.

Tommy McClain

I keep harping on what is wrong with the "start menu" they keep pushing on us, I mean the guide menu, whenever i get a survey or quest about it. I keep explaining how its now impossible to truly multitask like everyone used to do. I hope they realise they need to include the Snap replacement for Skype, Twitch, and the like really soon.

The side guide isnt bad at all and I get what they're trying to do, but I just dont like having to use such a tiny menu and still prefer to go to the massively large home screen for navigation. Now it is substantially faster to say "xbox go home" than it is to remember Guide Button, A, A button presses.

Totally agree. I've been given the same feedback. The dash went from multitasking to none. It totally ruins my Skype use. If they had a plan for replacing Snap they should have waited until it was ready to use, not just the rather poor Achievement Tracker.

Tommy McClain

EDIT: words, what I get for posting from my phone

Last edited:
Back