PlayStation 4 firmware updates (and Betas)

Great! Two of my most wanted features, external hdd support for game installation and 3D BR in VR.
Also, if that PS4 Pro power for unpatched games is true, that's something I didn't expect and kind of amazing!

Or see notable glitches :devilish:
On the PS1 emulator on PS2, there were options that the user could enable/disable, which were communicated as possibly causing problems. We could well see the same here, with a 'use at your own risk' option that avoids any form of QA.

I would also guess that they could make a white or black list of games in the firmware. Which would enable or disable this feature for a selected game.

That might be too confusing for users, unless there's a message saying, "Not supported". What they don't want to do is have the feature present for some games and not others without explaining. But they'd also need to test all those games. If they make it the user's responsibility, they are saved all efforts. It's not like it'll break the console so no risk in having it a global option like PS1 emu options.

20170203164607tesfsx1sqe.jpg

From DieH@rd

I'm in. Seems like you can directly upload the save games from each game

20170203185834ttu5a.png

20170203185907xvueg.png

Alright, time to buy Ps4 Pro. I was holding on for Horizon but if this improves Bloodborne it gives me a reason to buy one before that :smile:

It's also kind of ridiculous that we are celebrating a feature that should've been there day -1.

I'm curious with the external hdd support.

Speed impact? Can I use the drive in a computer like Xbox? Can I just plug the drive to other ps4 and login with my ID to bring my game like Xbox?

Alright, time to buy Ps4 Pro. I was holding on for Horizon but if this improves Bloodborne it gives me a reason to buy one before that :smile:

It's also kind of ridiculous that we are celebrating a feature that should've been there day -1.
Compatibility and stability was their objective, I don't know if I can blame them, but i wonder if it may have had an impact on their hardware choices.

Compatibility and stability was their objective, I don't know if I can blame them, but i wonder if it may have had an impact on their hardware choices.

Giving the option to the users (as this update does) is a logical compromise and could've definitely been there at launch. Unless they did a bunch of testing and this option only opens up parts of the system (I doubt that).

Giving the option to the users (as this update does) is a logical compromise and could've definitely been there at launch. Unless they did a bunch of testing and this option only opens up parts of the system (I doubt that).
Lots of reasons it could have went this way, your imagination is the limit ;):
  • It may have just been expectations not being met. They gave the kits to developers many months in advance expecting that developers could/may go back and create Pro variants, except few were ever made, so to ensure that people we're getting value from it, they had to enable boost
  • They know that Scorpio will do this from the get go, XBO S already does this, and if they need to compete in this manner, might as well be the first one out of the gates, its better PR to be first
  • They may have discovered that few games would actually break as a result of boost, perhaps they were too precautionary
  • They need to extend the life of PS4 Pro, PS5 may needed to be repositioned as a result of where Scorpio is landing in terms of specs
  • and so on and so on ;)

I'm in and I can confirm that Until Dawn works better. :)

I also played Bloodborne a bit, but I can't confirm anything. It.... maybe works better. Performance of that game never bothered me greatly, except those strong stutters with screeching sounds. But those got eliminated ages ago via patches. It works fine to me. It's still a 30fps game, that's for sure. Lock remains, and DF/NXGamer will need to provide concrete benchmarks.

GAF is full of impressions of increased framerate in tons of games. Heck even Just Cause 3 is not a slideshow anymore.

wowsers I did know about the patch but not about Boost mode. Could be great. Wonder how many games support it. The lists of what games support what type of benefits(if any) will get so confusing in the future though lol

Games like Rocket League which offer the option to turn off vsync should get a good boost as well. All around a great update for the Pro.
wowsers I did know about the patch but not about Boost mode. Could be great. Wonder how many games support it. The lists of what games support what type of benefits(if any) will get so confusing in the future though lol

All games should support the mode, they are just accessing more h/w, some games might have problems but we'll have to wait and see which do and which do not.

I think one interpretation is that on the surface this is a logical compromise, but one between two non-negotiable and difficult positions.
One is proper compatibility with the PS4, which must be targeted due to its current (and probably always) domination of Sony's current generation base and as the well-tested baseline for development.
The other is a new set of hardware and software features along with a new performance tier, without which the Pro has no reason to exist. This is being brought up and developed in parallel with the first, and also in parallel with the initial sales+real-world testing of the product.

Taking the difficult half of one difficult and complex thing (BC with a different hardware base) and the shifting and uncertain portion of the other (fledgling hardware, development target with incremental market/mind share) seems like something that would be done after the earlier concerns are handled.
There could be certain aspects of the full Pro that need a firmware wrapper to get the old software past initial bugginess, but that's a case where you would want the underlying infrastructure solid before building the wrapper above it.

I'm in and I can confirm that Until Dawn works k even Just Cause 3 is not a slideshow anymore.
Until Dawn was the first game I thought of. It's just below where it should be on vanilla PS4.

Not sure if boost mode puts the FPS overlay on but seems rainbow six siege gets a healthy boost beyond 60fps.

Back