I need a new game... Recommendations?

Albuquerque

Red-headed step child
Veteran
I loved the Bethesda open world stuff like the Fallout and TES series. I also enjoyed the Crysis series, and the Borderlands (haven't played the pre-sequel, so it's a contender!) I bought the whole "X" space saga series, but holy hell is that difficult to get into. Far Cry 3 and Dying light were both mostly fun, although I found both got tedious at the end. I enjoyed GTA-V and Just Cause 2, although the reviews for JC3 didn't sound very good.

I haven't played any of the Assassins Creed series, and I'm told several of those are great. I haven't played any of the Witchers either.

So yeah, I like sandboxes. It would be nice if I could stick to Steam or Amazon digital services, I'm not really trying to get into yet another digital distribution mechanism. Ugh. Who knows, maybe I just need to get over it :p I think I actually do have an Origin account for some reason, I think because of Crysis.

Fire away!

Given your obvious like of open world games (which I share) I can recommend The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, AC Unity and Shadow of Mordor. All four have worlds you can lose yourself in.

Have you tried Daikatana? Every now and then you need a palate cleanser.

Given your obvious like of open world games (which I share) I can recommend The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, AC Unity and Shadow of Mordor. All four have worlds you can lose yourself in.
Thank you!!

Did you play the Saints Row series?
Yeah, forgot about those until you mentioned it. I played all but the very last one where whats-his-face is the president and aliens are invading? Good mindless fun, has the open world aspect, would try another one if I'm told it doesn't suck.

Have you tried Daikatana? Every now and then you need a palate cleanser.
:D A very long time ago, yes. I'm not sure if I found it as distasteful as everyone else seemed to, but I'm not interested in replaying...

Because Witcher, Assassin's Creed and Shadow of Mordor aren't really my thing, I will mention that the highlights of the past half year for me have been Dishonored 2 and Resident Evil 7. Also have become addicted to Defense Grid and its sequel again.

And yeah the X series is incredibly boring. I dumped a chunk of hours into 2 and 3.

There is an unofficial patch from 2016 for Daikatana by the way. Get your widescreen support, among other things, for this mostly-awful game.
https://bitbucket.org/daikatana13/daikatana

Last edited:
Yeah, forgot about those until you mentioned it. I played all but the very last one where whats-his-face is the president and aliens are invading? Good mindless fun, has the open world aspect, would try another one if I'm told it doesn't suck.
Hmmm, that's tough. A lot of people didn't like the last one because it went REALLY over the top, but that's one of the reasons I fell in love with it. I highly recommend it, very fun single player and the humor is good.

I'd skip the Pre-Sequel. I played through BL and BL2 multiple times and all the DLC and couldn't play more than 2 hours of the PS. It could have been BL burnout after all, but I think it's more because the game just sucked.

Grab Astroneer! Pre-Alpha build, fun as hell. 4 player co-op, cross play with XB or buy through Steam, depending on your preferred platform and friends. It is a bit buggy, but it's a great deal of fun.

AFAIK, if you enjoyed Just Cause 2 then there's no reason not to like Just Cause 3.

This may be a silly question, but after all the talk about enjoying Bethesda games I take it you already played Fallout 4?

AFAIK, if you enjoyed Just Cause 2 then there's no reason not to like Just Cause 3.
I read a lot of good reviews of JC2, I've read a lot of bad reviews of JC3. Problems with terrible input lag if not using an XB controller, car handling is apparently awful, key rebinding seems to have issues, erratic performance issues, reports of significant game-breaking bugs. Maybe some of it is fixed with later patches?

This may be a silly question, but after all the talk about enjoying Bethesda games I take it you already played Fallout 4?
Yessir, Fallout 3, 3NV, 4 and all the DLC, along with Morrowind, Oblivion, Skryim, and all their DLC as well. Except hearthfire or whatever it was for Skyrim where you built your own house, it just never appealed to me. I wish I'd bought it though, because if I had, I'd currently be playing Skyrim Extreme or Overhaul or whatever the 64-bit prettied-up version Bethesda released recently.

Bought Witcher 3 GoTY last night as Steam had a daily deal for $29.99. Haven't downloaded it yet. Looks like AC:Black Flag is on sale at Amazon, but only for the physical media. Might wait it out until I can get it on Steam...

OOOOH, AC Black Flag was EXCELLENT as a game and as a huge open sandbox. Just like the other AC games...except you're a pirate who gets his own ship to engage other ships in combat and to upgrade.

Absolutely Loved that game, you can even board and capture other ships.

GG, highly recommended!

Last edited:
OOOOH, AC Black Flag was EXCELLENT as a game and as a huge open sandbox. Just like the other AC games...except you're a pirate who gets his own ship to engage other ships in combat and to upgrade.

Absolutely Loved that game, you can even board and capture other ships.

GG, highly recommended!
I really want to play Black Flag as I believe that's what I'm up to in the AC series but it's hard to bring myself to go through the same shit over and over again with Ubi and AC.

I really want to play Black Flag as I believe that's what I'm up to in the AC series but it's hard to bring myself to go through the same shit over and over again with Ubi and AC.

Black Flag is great in that if (or when) you want to ignore the assassin storyline you can just think of it as a Caribbean pirate simulation.

Black Flag's main missions were as flawed as earlier games with its crap stealth and eavesdropping missions a but you now had so much else to do instead it was much easier to cope with.

Unity was the first AC where I was genuinely keen to progress the main missions because both mechanics and mission structure didn't want to make me scream. That said I did complete Black Flag.

I finally got around to finishing L.A. Noire. I found it to be absorbing. I steeled myself to work at improving my driving skills as you need to be driving to get the calls for street crimes. Though I have a backlog of good games to play I found myself researching Rockstar publishing's catalog .... yadda, yadda, yadda, Amazon had GTA5 for an acceptable price and I was very pleased that my practicing of driving in L.A. Noire payed dividends in GTA5. :) It was like a Festivus miracle! All kidding aside, I'm not that accomplished at all in these kinds of games, and the hours spent with L.A. Noire both helped, and gave me an appreciation for how much they were able to improve on L.A. Noire's beautiful, detailed, rendering of a city.
I'm a pretty happy gamer now. Though I was playing L.A. Noire at 3840 x 2160 and all settings maxed out my GTX 1070 was at under 50% utilization (IIRC, and I couldn't get the game locked 30 fps to switch to 60 fps using the hack everyone used to use). Now ... I like have everything maxed out so I had to lower the resolution to a custom one of 3200 x 1800. But I'm using FXAA, 2x MSAA, TXAA, and MFAA from the nVidia Control Panel. I even have have 2x SSAA set for Alpha textures. The game has MSSA for shadows, I enabled that as well.

I read that TXAA blurred things but maybe that's been addressed some because I didn't really notice that. I do like how all that AA has cleared away the noise.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I realize I'm posting about a game rated as one of the best ever, but still, playing it makes all the difference. Maybe some of it will get tedious after a while. I towed my second car and it was still neat but I hope it's not a very frequent part of my routine.

Back