Structurally strong phone, how to check/find/compare? Metal/plastic/ceramic/etc?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Any idea how to find a structurally sound phone? Where it can protect its mainboards from bending and hairline solder cracks?

Plastic have the best exterior durability, it wont bent, wont break, etc. But looks pliable enough... doesn't sounds good for the insides.

metal - really confusing. Some easy to bend, some really rigid.

ceramic - never got any hands-on, so dunno.

other materials?

or i simply need a phone that runs cool, so the solder wont have a lot of thermal cycle stress?

I'm afraid not even NASA could design a phone that survives your hands ;)

Plastic bends and breaks. Aluminum only bends or dents.

Back in the day a lot of phones had plastic grames I think, those were quite bendy. The ones with a metal frame were better.

Today with aluminum unibody phones I think those feel very solid. At least my HTC one m7 and OnePlus 3. Certainly never had any problems with cracked mainboards or anything like that. Than again I don't do anything weird with my phone either.

I'm afraid not even NASA could design a phone that survives your hands ;)

Plastic bends and breaks. Aluminum only bends or dents.

Back in the day a lot of phones had plastic grames I think, those were quite bendy. The ones with a metal frame were better.

Today with aluminum unibody phones I think those feel very solid. At least my HTC one m7 and OnePlus 3. Certainly never had any problems with cracked mainboards or anything like that. Than again I don't do anything weird with my phone either.
You didn't try the iPhone 6 Plus ;)

Aluminum phones bents too, it is very malleable.

@tongue_of_colicab
my metal-framed Sony Xperia SP also still works despite has been thrown, dropped, stepped, submerged etc (screen have watery substance, power button is dead, screws are rusty, metal frame also rusty).

combined with information from your post, i think my next phone must be at minimum, metal-framed.

@Lodix
yeah, thats my concern. "metal" rigidness varies by a ton from one phones to another.

so in addition to professional reviews, i also should look for one generation late, phone. so i can see the problems in websites,youtube, etc. (bend or not, etc).

yikes my english getting more worse

@tongue_of_colicab
my metal-framed Sony Xperia SP also still works despite has been thrown, dropped, stepped, submerged etc (screen have watery substance, power button is dead, screws are rusty, metal frame also rusty).

combined with information from your post, i think my next phone must be at minimum, metal-framed.

@Lodix
yeah, thats my concern. "metal" rigidness varies by a ton from one phones to another.

so in addition to professional reviews, i also should look for one generation late, phone. so i can see the problems in websites,youtube, etc. (bend or not, etc).

yikes my english getting more worse
Samsung phones has very good internals with magnesium alloy frame inside.

I've dropped my phone on concrete and tile from over 3 feet (very much accidentally, I wasn't doing insane phone testing!) and it's just fine. Toughest phone I've ever owned, and I love the sound on it too. HTC M8.

My wife has the M10 and dropped it off the railing of our staircase leading down to the garage and it fell about 6" to concrete, and it barely got a ding.

I'm a fan of the aluminum cases I guess I'm saying, but if you're really paranoid just get an overly expensive otter box and even you should be fine. ;)

Back