Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure he does have some internal documents, doesn’t mean he interprets them anywhere close to correctly though.
This is going to sound bad, but don’t attribute malice when it’s stupidity.
He’s not lying, he just doesn’t know what he’s talking about
I'm not saying that he's "lying". Just that he doesn't have a clue about what he is talking about.

Reactions: Jay
Eurogamer's article mentions framerate interpolation:
Another option developers might consider is frame-rate upscaling - running graphics at 60Hz but the CPU at 30Hz and interpolating animation

Can someone in the know explain what they mean? AFAIK CPU is running the game logic, in particular issues the drawcalls according to how the scene changes from one frame to the next and then the GPU renders it. So how would a GPU run 2x as fast? Would it render the same thing twice? Or do they mean something like warping in VR, where - based on motion sensors in headset - the renderer is trying to guess how the point of view will change next and shifts / distorts current frame as an intermediate picture, while in the back it works on proper new frame (thus achieving perceptual 120fps out of 60fps like PSVR)? Or do they mean decoupling some CPU tasks not related to rendering, e.g. AI, physics, but that's I think fairly standard practice (like with racing games doing physics much more frequently than rendering)?

Or do they mean something like warping in VR, where - based on motion sensors in headset - the renderer is trying to guess how the point of view will change next and shifts / distorts current frame as an intermediate picture, while in the back it works on proper new frame (thus achieving perceptual 120fps out of 60fps like PSVR)?
This. You render every other frame and interpolate the alternates. The game can run at 30 fps to all extents and purposes and then the GPU can tween between updates.

This. You render every other frame and interpolate the alternates. The game can run at 30 fps to all extents and purposes and then the GPU can tween between updates.

But based on what? Position of the controller's sticks sampled between 'real' frames? Motion vectors from previous frames, that would have been used for motion blur? If it's such an 'obvious' thing (that I thought of it) surely there's a game that uses it already, but I'm not aware of it.

But based on what?
Whatever data is available and suitable.
If it's such an 'obvious' thing (that I thought of it) surely there's a game that uses it already, but I'm not aware of it.
First application was Force Unleashed in 2010. Obviously it's not an easy thing to do nor a magic bullet or games would be using it. But like image reconstruction is becoming an option now instead of simple upscaling, we might see more framerate interpolation in future.

B3D Discussion with links here : https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/realtime-frame-interpolation-upscaling-30fps-to-60fps.49577/

Yeah, I don't think it made it into the final game. But the idea has been around for a whiles now, so the fact it's not presently in games is Reasons. I imagine we discussed these in the thread on the subject.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Should have been reading more carefully, requires 12.0+ hardware.
I would consider Scorpio next gen due to this. The last gen stopped at 12_0 and was around for 7+ years.
There are some hardware features float16 that are in 4Pro. Not sure if they grabbed all the hardware features listed in SM6.0. Perhaps they only grabbed what they could safely bolt on, without destroying compatibility with PS4. This may explain some earlier tweets.
IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

sm6_1.jpg

The TFLOP count doesn't match the ALU and clock, the section with ROP and TMU and 130 doesn't make sense. Maybe 64 ROPs but 130 doesn't currently match up with any of the other numbers.

Microsoft-customized Rizen seems vanishingly unlikely. The standard one has barely been baked.

Not sure about GDDR5X. The rumored bandwidth is possible bog-standard GDDR5, and there are reduced-voltage options for GDDR5 that would get a good chunk of the improvement since GDDR5X's reason for existing is to go for much higher bit rates at reasonably higher power.

14nm? Seems possible, but given the rest I'd give it a good chance of being wrong.

Yup, 64 CUs at 950MHz would amount to 7.7 TFLOPs. Whoever made that doesn't seem to know how FLOPS are counted, so it doesn't even look like an educated fake.

Not sure about GDDR5X. The rumored bandwidth is possible bog-standard GDDR5, and there are reduced-voltage options for GDDR5 that would get a good chunk of the improvement since GDDR5X's reason for existing is to go for much higher bit rates at reasonably higher power.
Not to mention the only one making GDDR5X right now AFAIK is Micron, and they're only making 8Gb chips. 12GB on a 256bit bus would require 6 or 12Gb chips, which don't seem to exist for now.

On the discussion on whether Scorpio is a new generation machine or not, Thomas Mahler from Moon Studios says that Scorpio is a brand new generation machine.
EAcJvbI.png

Moon Studios have been a 1st-party developer for Microsoft since 2011.
Has he ever got his hands on a PS4 devkit and documentation, let alone a PS4 Pro?

Maybe he's confused because Scorpio has a much greater performance boost over Xbone (4.6x only in ALU performance) than the Pro has over the PS4 (2.3x).

Has he ever got his hands on a PS4 devkit and documentation, let alone a PS4 Pro?

Maybe he's confused because Scorpio has a much greater performance boost over Xbone (4.6x only in ALU performance) than the Pro has over the PS4 (2.3x).
uhh, generally speaking, developers are not usually confused about these types of topics. That's stretching it pretty large to not know the difference between the two.
See my earlier posts of the GDC slides? I thought he could be referring to that.

Generations are becoming more about the software compatibility rules enforced by Sony/Microsoft than by the actual hardware released. Scorpio won't be a "new generation" until Microsoft drops Xbox One someday....presumably if they release Xbox Scorpio Two.

Gens are basically history at this point, at least for MS. It will look something likely this going forward

Supported baseline Bonus features from PC
XBO Scorpio 2017
XBO Scorpio Scorpio II 2020
Scorpio Scorpio II Scorpio III 2023

Giving each console 8-10 years of useful life.

Yup, 64 CUs at 950MHz would amount to 7.7 TFLOPs. Whoever made that doesn't seem to know how FLOPS are counted, so it doesn't even look like an educated fake.

Not to mention the only one making GDDR5X right now AFAIK is Micron, and they're only making 8Gb chips. 12GB on a 256bit bus would require 6 or 12Gb chips, which don't seem to exist for now.

It says 64 ALUs, not 64 CUs. Also this link seems to be interesting:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10631/amd-amends-globalfoundries-wafer-supply-agreement-through-2020

It says 64 ALUs, not 64 CUs.
Erm... which makes even less sense..?

uhh, generally speaking, developers are not usually confused about these types of topics.
Maybe it depends on what kind of developer we're talking about. From what I can gather, Thomas Mahler is an asset creator / 3d artist.

As I said, I think it may just derive from the fact that Scorpio is a much more revolutionary difference from the Xbone than the Pro is to the PS4.

Well....either that person is just making shit up...or Microsoft is truly "going for it" . For Microsoft's sake I hope it is the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back