Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting to see how it goes, I like my Wii U but support was lacking, this one at least could/should have 3DS devs support...
Also too expensive, at 250€ I would have pre ordered it, at 325€ nude (ie no game) it's just not a good deal IMO.

I'm not unsatisfied with what the hardware can do while docked. Going from 720p to 1080 in mario kart is enough, plus obviously we'll see more improvements to the core graphics as time goes by. Bigger issue with Wii U was its cpu, the gpu was OK. Not happy that Nintendo are still skimping on AF and AA though, ugh.

I'm happy cartridges are back and this thing will have a hell of a lot of software.

Switch already has upwards of 80 confirmed games in development. Not all third party support looks like COD and Madden. There is already a strong lineup of Japanese third party games coming to Switch.

Like Sebbi mentioned, the low level API is a big improvement over the same chip running on Android. I would assume more complete hardware utilization also means the chip runs hotter, and hence the reasons for the lower clock speeds. The Tegra chip in the Switch will easily outperform the Shield TV. There is a gap between the Switch and other consoles large enough that I doubt many AAA games will be ported in its first year, but if sales of the hardware are really good (like 10 million by the end of 2017, then I suspect you will see publishers like EA and Activision to drastically expand their lineup for Switch in 2018. The performance deceit is less than its was between 360 and Xbox One, and we saw quite a few cross gen games. We saw multiple COD games make their way to Wii, where not only the power deficit was massive, but the development environment was completely different. It comes down to sales potential.

Not all third party support looks like COD and Madden.

I don't recall saying it did (if that's what you're implying).

There is already a strong lineup of Japanese third party games coming to Switch.

Citation still needed.

Just to be clear, I'm making no claim as to whether the Switch will or will not have "a hell of a lot of software" or does or does not have "a strong lineup of Japanese third party games". phoenix_chipset and you, however, are making those respective claims as definitive statements. I would simply like to see what it is you're looking at to come to that determination. From there, I can come to my own conclusion. Seeing the source(s) for those determinations is particularly important since we could (and more than likely do) have our own unique personal definitions of "a hell of a lot" and "strong lineup".

I think the expectation also is that switch will receive more resources from Nintendo than wii u or 3ds, and will also see more Japanese thanks to basically killing off the vita. (ceo of NIS even talked about how they are moving support to switch since it is important for switch to do well in Japan and they see it taking over vita and managing multiports with ps4)

There is already a strong lineup of Japanese third party games coming to Switch.

What exactly counts as "strong lineup of Japanese 3rd party"?
There's no Final Fantasy XXV (most probably no FFVII remake either), no Persona 5, no Kingdom Hearts III, no Monster Hunter..

There's Dragon Quest X/XI and Heroes which are seemingly ports of the 3DS and Vita versions, respectively, there's an untitled Tales which might actually the same title that's being developed for the 3DS, Story of Seasons and Fire Emblem Warriors are more 3DS ports.
So we're left Disgaea 5, which has been out for PS4 for over a year..
Xenoblade is a 2nd-party game (published by Nintendo), btw.

Not to mention that most of those games don't even have a tentative release year yet.
If the Switch sinks within the first months, they won't come out at all.

One notable thing I see in that list is the sheer amount of pixel art indie games.
I counted at least 5 of those.

I think the expectation also is that switch will receive more resources from Nintendo than wii u or 3ds, and will also see more Japanese thanks to basically killing off the vita. (ceo of NIS even talked about how they are moving support to switch since it is important for switch to do well in Japan and they see it taking over vita and managing multiports with ps4)

Yet I'm seeing a lot more new JRPGs coming out for the Vita than I do for the Switch.
Just look at the number of games that have come out for the Vita in 2016 and new games being planned for 2017:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(A–L)

There's more japanese games for the Vita in the 2nd half of 2016 than there is for the Switch's whole lineup for 2017 and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Switch have GPS? I was expecting a Pokemon Go port.
That would be great, but considering how much everything about switch so far has minimal cost and maximum profit margin on the hardware... I seriously doubt there's an expensive GPS chipset in there.

What exactly counts as "strong lineup of Japanese 3rd party"?
There's no Final Fantasy XXV (most probably no FFVII remake either), no Persona 5, no Kingdom Hearts III, no Monster Hunter..

There's Dragon Quest X/XI and Heroes which are seemingly ports of the 3DS and Vita versions, respectively, there's an untitled Tales which might actually the same title that's being developed for the 3DS, Story of Seasons and Fire Emblem Warriors are more 3DS ports.
So we're left Disgaea 5, which has been out for PS4 for over a year..
Xenoblade is a 2nd-party game (published by Nintendo), btw.

Not to mention that most of those games don't even have a tentative release year yet.
If the Switch sinks within the first months, they won't come out at all.

One notable thing I see in that list is the sheer amount of pixel art indie games.
I counted at least 5 of those.

Yet I'm seeing a lot more new JRPGs coming out for the Vita than I do for the Switch.
Just look at the number of games that have come out for the Vita in 2016 and new games being planned for 2017:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(A–L)

There's more japanese games for the Vita in the 2nd half of 2016 than there is for the Switch's whole lineup for 2017 and beyond.

Some of you guys expect a lot immediately I guess. Yes, Vita will have more games from Japanese developers this year than Switch. Why is that do you think? Could it have something to do with the install base of the Vita in Japan is over 5 million units, more than any other gaming system in Japan except for the 3DS. The Vita is a viable platform for many of these Japanese developers. Heck, it has nearly double the install base as the PS4 there.

We have multiple Dragon Quest games coming to Switch already announced, I am Setsuna and Project Octopath Traveler from Square Enix, Fire Emblem Warriors, Disgaea, Dragonball Xenoverse 2, Ultra Street Fighter and so on. I'm not going to list every single game, but the point is that for a brand new console, we are seeing far superior Japanese developed games for Switch than we ever saw on Wii U. The transition from 3DS and Vita to Switch is a natural fit, and with Switch already sold out in Japan with long lines, its likely to do well in Japan at the very least.

I seriously doubt that every game in development has been announced. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a new Monster Hunter for Switch announced at E3. Square Enix could be gauging early sales before it decides if it wants to port a game like Kingdom Hearts.

Last edited:
Does Switch have GPS? I was expecting a Pokemon Go port.
No GPS and no cameras.
They made it impossible to have Pokemon Go in it.

Some of you guys expect a lot immediately I guess.
I didn't expect a lot.
I actually expected very little -> Mario Kart, 3D Mario and Zelda as first parties on day one (akin to the Vita's Uncharted + Wipeout + Gravity Rush). Then a couple of high-ish-profile 3rd party games during launch window like an Assassin's Creed, a Ghost Recon or a CoD (like the Wii had on day one, BTW).
I still got disappointed.

See, even the 3DS launch line-up, which was BTW critically panned was substantially better.
At least it had a recent 3D Street Fighter game and not a re-launch of a 2006 game that was a remaster of a 1991 game.

With the 3DS they said the poor launch line-up was responsible for the poor initial sales.
Boy, I do wonder what they'll have to say about the Switch in a month and a half.

This thing could even have a completely new and unexpectedly powerful 16FF SoC with Pascal 4*SM, Cortex A72 cores and quad-channel LPDDR4.
It wouldn't even matter, with the piss-poor lineup they have.

So, it lacks the bald space marine kind of games?

Anyway, Nintendo killed the Game Cube off in like 2005, so I never even played a sequel to the original Metroid Prime. I liked Star Fox Adventure too (though the combat was too easy). But well, the lifespan felt like Dreamcast to me. Wii : thet hid the gamecube controller ports lol. Everyone played the bundled game only. Though a decade later, I played a few uncomfortable Smash Bros games with the nunchaku controllers.

I don't know how many people had such a lull!

Citation needed.
Because Nintendo handhelds get more software than their home console counterparts (More, not better), and this is effectively a home console as well. All of Nintendo's teams have to make games for it, they don't have to make different games like with Wii U and 3ds.

Same goes for 3rd parties, if they wanted to make a game for Nintendo's handheld, but not the home console or vice versa ; they only have one option now.

No GPS and no cameras.

I didn't expect a lot.
I actually expected very little -> Mario Kart, 3D Mario and Zelda as first parties on day one (akin to the Vita's Uncharted + Wipeout + Gravity Rush). Then a couple of high-ish-profile 3rd party games during launch window like an Assassin's Creed, a Ghost Recon or a CoD (like the Wii had on day one, BTW).

See, even the 3DS launch line-up, which was BTW critically panned was substantially better.
At least it had a recent 3D Street Fighter game and not a re-launch of a 2006 game that was a remaster of a 1991 game.

With the 3DS they said the poor launch line-up was responsible for the poor initial sales.
Boy, I do wonder what they'll have to say about the Switch in a month and a half.

This thing could even have a completely new and unexpectedly powerful 16FF SoC with Pascal 4*SM, Cortex A72 cores and quad-channel LPDDR4.

Well to be fair they have a usb port on the switch and so you can put out a camera / gps / lte adapter to enable those types of games.

No GPS and no cameras.

I didn't expect a lot.

Nintendo is gambling that shiny new hardware coupled with their biggest Zelda game in history will carry the Switch at launch, and guess what, they are right. Switch will be sold out immediately at launch. Zelda is going to carry Switch until the release of MK8 Deluxe and ARMS, which will inject some needed energy to maintain any momentum. Then we have Splatoon in summer, and Mario Odysey, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Skyrim to carry Switches first Christmas. By launching in March, this will allow Nintendo the opportunity to gauge the popularity of Switch, and make adjustments if needed. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Smash Bros U get a port to Switch, announced at E3. This is a strong year one from Nintendo. How much weight do these games carry in 2017? I don't know, going to be interesting to see Switch either really take off or fall flat on its face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back