Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you've got your Switch in the dock for a mammoth gaming session, you're probably going to need to dock your phone too. But keep it close enough so your phone earphones and mic can reach.

And good luck with voice chat on your phone headset and using headphones on the NX at the same time.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

So if you've got your Switch in the dock for a mammoth gaming session, you're probably going to need to dock your phone too. But keep it close enough so your phone earphones and mic can reach.

And good luck with voice chat on your phone headset and using headphones on the NX at the same time.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

This. So this.

Mobile phone as chat/party interface only works with the 'home console' mode of use as you have the tv speakers for game audio which should be audible over your earbud as with Xbox Live and PSN. Where it breaks down is in handheld mode where your earbuds are presumably plugged into the console or when trying to do the kickstand share play stuff. In either of those two scenarios you need 3 earbuds but you only have two ears, what a shit show.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

why wouldn't the switch just send the audio to the phone to then play out of the headset ?

Infact I was thinking the app would be a hotspot and allow the switch to connect through 4g lte

Yeah I tend to smile at the home console thought for Switch as well :)

Mario Kart has no new stages as far as I am aware, according to recent articles such at Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...xe-new-characters-track-list-battle-mode-4623
TBH I would want tracks rather than 5 new racers when taking all into context already discussed.

And yeah regarding Pokemon Go, along with some other movement games from other developers, but context is these players want cheap games to then ironically burn higher levels of cash on 'play extras' as seen by the revenue from Pokemon Go and some of the other cheap to buy movement mobile games.
So how will Nintendo convince these casual players to spend $60 on what is an old game I am not sure, because as you highlighted even Nintendo fans did not flock to it on the Wii U.

This is a great short vid comparing the Wii U and Switch version, it is not really bringing much more tbh (and that is me being generous lol):

Cheers

First , I am pretty sure there is at least one new staged based on splatoon. There is a stage they show off in the official video that has ink all over it.

Also pokemon go doesn't mean an either or situation. My sister and brother in law spent a lot for my nephew to play pokemon go , they still bought him the new pokemon on the 3ds .

I am sure a lot of people will buy Mario kart for the switch in april and for years to come. There is no free to play alternative on any platform I know of.

I wonder if people who already have MK8 on WiiU will buy it again on Switch. I know I won't (But I won't even buy a Switch, because they're is no new game that I want on it yet. I'll play Zelda on WiiU, and I won't buy the switch only for the new Mario.)

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

Nintendo says the app connects to the Switch (presumably over BT?), so it's at least possible for it to stream audio from the game. If they didn't do at least this much then I agree it's an extreme screw up. Even if you intended to rely on the Switch speakers for the game's audio the headset will still drown it out. As bad as this app situation is I don't think Nintendo could really be releasing something that broken.

I wonder if people who already have MK8 on WiiU will buy it again on Switch. I know I won't (But I won't even buy a Switch, because they're is no new game that I want on it yet. I'll play Zelda on WiiU, and I won't buy the switch only for the new Mario.)

I will .

Its a game we consistently play. I think I've played it every month since it came out on the wii u. We are still playing Mario kart on the 3ds also

mmmh, playing on TV but with headhpones, never did that but it makes sense, wouldn't you plug something to your TV to achieve that though ?
I can see that the PS4 pad has a jack, the XBox One has a proprietary connector, I assume it also does audio, doesn't it ?

I will .

Its a game we consistently play. I think I've played it every month since it came out on the wii u. We are still playing Mario kart on the 3ds also

But if you already have it on WiiU, why buying the switch version (and why buying a switch...) ?

But if you already have it on WiiU, why buying the switch version (and why buying a switch...) ?

Cause I want that edition on the go ? I want the switch for traveling this year and to play with my nephew who isn't yet into xbox games. It also beats hving to lug a wii u every where

why wouldn't the switch just send the audio to the phone to then play out of the headset ?

Infact I was thinking the app would be a hotspot and allow the switch to connect through 4g lte

Then why is Switch draining my phone's battery as well as it's own, if the app connects via BT to the switch as a one time 'hey connect to IP 1-12 and start the party' that would be weird and inconvenient but not terrible. I say inconvenient because at least in the case of the iPhone you are quite likely to be using BT for your phone's headset and even if not having your phone and Switch pair randomly is an unnecessary drain on the battery or interference with my pre-existing pairings such as my car kit.

Nintendo says the app connects to the Switch (presumably over BT?), so it's at least possible for it to stream audio from the game. If they didn't do at least this much then I agree it's an extreme screw up. Even if you intended to rely on the Switch speakers for the game's audio the headset will still drown it out. As bad as this app situation is I don't think Nintendo could really be releasing something that broken.

I hope so but thus far we have Reggie Fils Amie seemingly doubling down on the 'it's all on your phone' message and a single publicity image of the Switch with a headset attached that has an inline mic. The specs don't point to it supporting phone style tri-pole mic + stereo ports but this is probably another wait until launch to know thing.

For the amount of online multiplayer gaming one would expect from games on a Nintendo console at this point I don't think having the features on a mobile app is that big of deal...

Also there maybe some benefits to Nintendo of decoupling this stuff from the console itself.

XBox One has a proprietary connector, I assume it also does audio, doesn't it ?

Microsoft shipped a newer controller in July 2015 that included a 3.5mm headphone jack in addition to the proprietary accessory port. So you can use any 3.5mm stereo headphones with microphone based on the CTIA standard. Xbox One has always sent chat & stereo game audio wirelessly to controllers or wireless headphones. Currently Microsoft doesn't sell their own wireless headphones but have partnered with 3rd parties to provide officially licensed ones. BTW when the Xbox One S shipped last August they updated the controller again to include Bluetooth but it's only for use with Bluetooth-enabled PCs, tablets or phones.

Tommy McClain

I say inconvenient because at least in the case of the iPhone you are quite likely to be using BT for your phone's headset and even if not having your phone and Switch pair randomly is an unnecessary drain on the battery or interference with my pre-existing pairings such as my car kit.
Doesn't bluetooth allow multiple devices to connect at the same time?

It also can remember multiple pairings and automatically switch to them.

Could be wrong tho. I have not used Bluetooth for a long time

Thought more about the weird mobile app use & can see now why they decided to go that route. By offloading those services off the device they no longer have to worry about sharing cpu & gpu resources with a background OS. They also don't have to include another processor that would increase the cost of BOM. Almost everybody who has the income to buy the Switch will have at least one device in their possession that can their app. They also solve the problem of cost to run those services by charging the only people who will use it. If it works, sounds like a great way for Nintendo to defer those costs.

Tommy McClain

Thought more about the weird mobile app use & can see now why they decided to go that route. By offloading those services off the device they no longer have to worry about sharing cpu & gpu resources with a background OS. They also don't have to include another processor that would increase the cost of BOM. Almost everybody who has the income to buy the Switch will have at least one device in their possession that can their app. They also solve the problem of cost to run those services by charging the only people who will use it. If it works, sounds like a great way for Nintendo to defer those costs.

Tommy McClain
They are just incompetent OS writers, who are paranoid about piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back