Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on it's BS, or Nintendo reps talk.

For 2 non gamer peoples they "get", how many gamer they loss, going to MS, Sony, or out of the gaming market all together (which is the worst) ? And do you think all the casual wii players are still gaming ? I don't believe so. They grow nothing, in my mind.
I think Nintendo Japan still believe they know better than the players what the players need. "Take this gimick, believe me, it's for your own good". And then they don't understand why it bombs, say "ok now we get it", and stiiiiiill produce a weird console concept. For me the last good nintendo console was the Gamecube. I hated the Wii with the weird control. I like the WiiU ok, but not enough games... And the gamepad was useless 95% of the time...
The Gamecube and the Gameboy advance SP, no matter the Ds success I think Nintendo would have been better of sticking on the SP single screen concept.
Nintendo seems to confuse avoiding the arm race with Sony/MSFT and pushing gimmick.
Now on the move Wii game play seems completely out of place if not ridiculous. When on the go you can only use the handheld in its "standard" (all together) shape. The Joy-con in insulation do not provide the same input as when linked the joy-grip or the console, it is bothering.
If you play at home the console won't bring you much more than the WiiU.

Now they have to bury the DS line to make the disaster complete, I wonder how they will pull that one...

You can get a really nice gamepad for Android and iOS for 30 dollars or less. And any high end phone is gonna outperform it. It's not that the product is bad it just costs too much. It's a low res LCD tablet with a dock and removable gamepad. It should cost $200 max to be competitive.
The main issue as a handheld is that it is not pocketable and whereas I am for tiered offering for that market, basic model should be pocketable. Phones are sure to have the play time if they are the only device around.
I can't see how this can trigger impulse buy like the Wii did, parents are happy with cheap tablets to keep the kids busy on the go. It is an expensive handheld and clearly price has been holding the 3DS sales.

And with that, the worst is they will kill the 3DS too I guess (no more Big N games on it since the switch is THE new dev plateforme ? )... Their only successful console right now...

To me, Nintendo just mucked up the marketing. It should of been heralded as the successor of the 3ds from the start.

The 3DS family is selling well right now, they certainly don't want to Osborne-effect the thing.

Nintendo sold the DS as the third pillar, yet it replaced the GBA in mere months, the same might be true for the Switch, it's pretty much all down to how many units they move.

Bingo. What would have been a creative approach to this would have been finding a way to leverage the 3DS library somehow - the pre-launch rumors that the Switch would accept 3DS cards would have been huge, but I don't think they found a way around the dual-screen issue. Though to be fair, my tablet does fine in vertical orientation with an external controller running DraStic.

Bingo. What would have been a creative approach to this would have been finding a way to leverage the 3DS library somehow - the pre-launch rumors that the Switch would accept 3DS cards would have been huge, but I don't think they found a way around the dual-screen issue. Though to be fair, my tablet does fine in vertical orientation with an external controller running DraStic.

I think it'd be okay for most games even with a side by side configuration, with varying different positioning and scaling options.

If Wikipedia is right, 3DS's original dimensions were 3.53" diagonal for top screen and 3.02" for bottom. That works out to only about 3.03x1.82" and 2.42x1.82" (can anyone confirm it was really this small? I have to go grab my 3DS..). Switch @ 6.2" diagonal would be 5.32x3.19".

Scaled to 800x480 the top screen would take up 3.33x2.12", so a bit larger than the original 3DS and I think around the size of n3DS (not the XLs). The bottom screen won't fit scaled the same way, but with a fractional 1.5x scaling would take up 480x360 and 2.0x1.6", a little smaller than the original. In practice I think people won't care that much about the bottom screen because its usage was very secondary, and I think fewer 3DS games moved stuff between the two than DS games because they weren't the same size/aspect ratio.

What do you think they've learned?
I personally don't really see any lessons learned, and, in fact, they're making even more mistakes from WiiU.

At least it's not another respin of Gecko with Flipper jammed in there somewhere. And they've probably abandoned Renesas as a manufacturing partner. Maybe less dependent on lagging Japanese suppliers all around now.

The tech is still a little old, but this time "just" by about 1.5-2 years. 3DS and Wii U were both at least 5 years behind.

The Wuupad was not a good idea, now if they really must have the feature in some game they can do it with multiple Switches without saddling everyone with the additional cost for a feature that rarely rises above an added novelty. If you wanted to move a Wii U to some other place you had to drag the Wuupad around with you, while here you can package everything up in the dock. Not that I think people are really going to move something like this around much.

The split JoyCons look like lousy controllers but at least it supports two players out of the box. It's not like Wii U where they actually included a pack-in game that had couch multiplayer that required a Motion Plus that wasn't bundled with the system.

Actually the whole configuration of Wii U with old Wii controllers and accessories was a mess. Nintendo is giving mixed signals about its intended direction with motion controls, but at least they've got a coherent and easy to manage set of hardware for the purpose.

Last edited:
The 3DS family is selling well right now, they certainly don't want to Osborne-effect the thing.
Let's not get carried away here. As of 30 September 2016, all models of the 3DS had sold 61 million which puts it behind the Sony PSP. At around 5.5 years into it's life the 3DS is lagging behind the DS which sold 100 million is under five years of being on market and 154 million at the last report in 2015.

61 million isn't to be sniffed at but it's a dwindling market, being eroded by phones and tablets, upon which Nintendo cannot rely.

Let's not get carried away here. As of 30 September 2016, all models of the 3DS had sold 61 million which puts it behind the Sony PSP. At around 5.5 years into it's life the 3DS is lagging behind the DS which sold 100 million is under five years of being on market and 154 million at the last report in 2015.

61 million isn't to be sniffed at but it's a dwindling market, being eroded by phones and tablets, upon which Nintendo cannot rely.

3DS had a bit of a resurgence lately though. Weirdly.

It would seem to me there's a place for a cheap (er) dedicated handheld...that place is, gifts for kids!

Switch may benefit from that but I believe it's a bit expensive for that market.

I don't know if this belongs in the tech thread or if it belongs in here but is it
me or do a lot of these games basically look like Wii U titles ? Do titles like
Xenoblade 2 or Mario Odyssey look like huge improvements over 3D World
or Xenoblade Chronicles X ?

Wouldn't it have been better to keep the Wii U, push the Switch as the 3DS's successor
and give us much better dual releases ? Because to be honest they already dipped their
toes in this with Smash 4, why not have the Switch be their "ps4 pro" or "Scorpio" relative
to the Wii U ?

What would that accomplish? Wii U sales are near nil...

About Borderlands 3 Switch

“I do not see that as happening,” wrote Pitchford, according to a report from IGN. “We were talking to Nintendo, but that stopped for some reason. They have other priorities.”

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/gearbox-borderlands-nintendo-switch/#ixzz4W44ZxZTO
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | DigitalTrends on Facebook

Yikes...not the best for Nintendo's already poor reputation for dealing with 3rd parties

Last edited:
How expensive would that be?! Isn't that PS4+PSVR territory?

The point is that Nintendo failed to capitalize on the Wuupad functionality meaning that it was never anything more than a nice extra novelty feature. That's the kind of thing you can give to people with multiple Switches as a bonus because that's all it's good for. Not something you'd actually make games require.

Nintendo is actually promoting the ability to do multiplayer between multiple Switches. I doubt it'll catch on very much.

I liked Pitchford's the talks stopped "for some reason.." comment.

BL1, BL2 and the Presequel I think are all on the Shield, so Gearbox should be familiar with the basic hardware in the Switch.

And they're all out on the X360 and PS3 so they should have old enough engines to use as a base for Switch, but then reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back