Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: At 1:25 in the video the sleep prompt has a prominent 'Disable Parental Controls' button which will presumably be PIN locked or some such
Ah I didn't catch that. Probably solves all of the above issues.

Pre-order sales are strong though. Looks like sold out. I guess this is the issue with waiting so long to let people pre-order. You capture the hype crowd but you lose out on planning for demand.

Switch may not be the best name, this might be the console where Nintendo fans switch to PlayStation and Xbox...... On a serious note, in spite of my reservations I hope they succeed with this, Nintendo hardware and software have been a part of my gaming experiences since I was a kid. Not that I think there is a reason to fear for the software side of things but the hardware too has a place in gaming.

A picture is worth 1000 words, in Nintendo's situation it's worth 1000 WTFs?

CA35DTN.jpg

Only Nintendo could've gotten away with that corny janky ass reveal.
If MS or Sony tried that, we'd be laughing our tails of.

Also, that whole finger snapping shit lost its novelty after the 2nd or 3rd time. Did we really need to get what felt like a 100 freaking examples of it....Grrrrr

Sorry....been eating too much red meat.

Nintendo has a core audience and they don't expect the Switch to expand that so they might as well make money off the hardware and accessories. It'll be kept alive by the faithful who are hell bent on rescuing a naive girl from a serial kidnapper.
lol, I disagree, but that was fun.

I liked the new SF2, the new F-Zero like game -but no F-Zero :( :(, that Project (can't recall) game looks amazing artistically wise, the new Zelda cover is pure art and love, and of course Skyrim :love::love:.

Nintendo should keep being Nintendo and allow for free of charge online play. You pay for the game, you pay for the console, you pay your internet and you have to pay for the online service? We had enough with Sony and Microsoft doing that

Well it is in line with my expectation: an extremely expensive and gimmicky handheld, actually the most expensive I remember about.
I was sharing my disappointment with my wife that way: for the price of one Switch they should sell two or three proper handhelds.

Imho it is going to bomb harder than the WiiU, for WiiU owners I suspect it brings really few improvements and they might legitimately let down, for others it is a lot of money for a handheld wich can connect to the TV.

This is Nintendo old management last stand, I hope they don't take the ship along while they sink. Thruth be told Nintendo seems to be at the end of the rope even with regard to software: few variety, gimmick, new franchises are bad, they are late and late again, etc.

I hope somebody salvage the pocket console market, there is life to it, but it is sadly greatly mismanaged.

Last edited:
The hits keep coming:

- paying online gets you a month rental for a classic game. You can choose to buy it after. No free games likes games with gold but you get to pay just the same
- voice chat is through an app on a smartphone. Not natively built into the console. Obviously this is a joke, right!?

I am totally underwhelmed by this, was really hoping for something much better esp for the total cost of ownership (memory, battery life, controller costs, etc)

I expect Nintendo to start desperately bundling classic games with Switch purchases before the end of the launch quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back