Intel "Kaby Lake"

Having just built a Z170 system a few months back, I'm thrilled with the news that Kaby Lake offers nothing substantial except for 4k DRM.

And most stores seem to be charging a ~$30-$60 premium on KabyLake CPUs over the Skylake models they're replacing.
All in all, the typical of what you'd expect from a new CPU release from Intel.

Zen couldn't come fast enough.

Most „interesting“* detail about KBL atm: Pentium G getting hyperthreaded.

*interesting in quotes because it is obviously a product marketing/positioning decision rather than an architectural trait, since it was only disable all along until now.

Yep, AFAICT. Ordered one, will see how much it affects performance.
My bet, FWIW, is that it'll be pretty close to i3-6100 clock for clock due to faster memory supported, which should offset the smaller cache to a certain degree. And of course, the i3 will run circles around it where AVX2 is used heavily, such as y-Cruncher.

… and now this happens:

Short summary:
Debugging mechanism in Intel CPUs allows seizing control via USB port

The JTAG (Joint Test Action Group) debugging interface, now accessible via USB, has the potential to enable dangerous and virtually undetectable attacks. JTAG works below the software layer for the purpose of hardware debugging of the OS kernel, hypervisors and drivers. At the same time, though, this CPU access can be abused for malicious purposes.

On older Intel CPUs, accessing JTAG required connecting a special device to a debugging port on the motherboard (ITP-XDP). JTAG was difficult to access for both troubleshooters and potential attackers.

However, starting with the Skylake processor family in 2015, Intel introduced the Direct Connect Interface (DCI) which provides access to the JTAG debugging interface via common USB 3.0 ports.

Goryachy told SC, “We have reported this case to Intel. As of today, this mechanism can be exploited only on Intel U-series processors.”
https://www.scmagazine.com/debuggin...-seizing-control-via-usb-port/article/630480/

Getting 15-20% lower power consumption at the same performance level, without microarchitectural changes or a new process node is pretty impressive, IMHO.

I understand Kaby Lake looks disappointing for anyone on this forum; Most here care more about performance, CPU or GPU, more than anything else. It's the same if Bugatti announced their new Veyron had 20% better mileage instead of 20% more hp; Useful, but not sexy.

Cheers

Last edited:
Getting 15-20% lower power consumption at the same performance lavel, without microarchitectural changes or a new process node is pretty impressive, IMHO.

I understand Kaby Lake looks disappointing for anyone on this forum; Most here care more about performance, CPU or GPU, more than anything else. It's the same if Bugatti announced their new Veyron had 20% better mileage instead of 20% more hp; Useful, but not sexy.

Cheers
I think its also the fact that broadwell and skylake have both been meh and then intel followed it up with super meh. 10nm better enable higher clocks then this 14nm+ rev kabylake otherwise cannon lake is going to be ultra meh.

They have been using the same architecture since Sandy. I wonder if anything really new is in the works?

I know this is the wrong thread, but I've seen users claiming some games refuse to run on Kentsfield Core 2 Quad and Phenom II CPUs due to lacking SSE4. Is SSE4 widely supported nowadays? How about AVX?

I saw Capcom patched the upcoming RE7 for Phenom support. Dishonored 2 as well received a patch for them. There was a thread on B3D here about AVX support awhile back too.

Anyway, I think the desktop has been boring, but Intel has been deep diving into power efficiency. To put Core into tablets and make them unbeatable in notebooks.

They have been using the same architecture since Sandy. I wonder if anything really new is in the works?

I read somewhere they have an entirely new architecture in the pipeline. I'm not sure if that's a replacement for the current setup or a sidegrade. I'd be curious what difference it would make for instance if they were to drop legacy support and go with a clean sheet desire based around only modern architectural standards.

MSI Makes it Easy for Intel i7-7700k To Hit 5.2GHz with Liquid Cooling

At CES 2017, MSI was presenting their hardware line-up that included the latest Intel 270 motherboards. They had an interesting demo running the MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium ($329.00) with an Intel Core i7-7700K processor at 5.2GHz, the same can be applied to their Z270 Gaming M7 ($249.99), and Z270 MPower Gaming Titanium ($239.00) motherboards. Legit Reviews talked about it with MSI and CES 2017 and they stated that any Intel Core i7-7700K should be able to hit 5.2GHz on liquid cooling with a single click of their Gaming Overclock button within the UEFI. That’s an impressive statement.
The demonstration at CES 2017 did indeed show the system up and running within the UEFI, but not within Windows (which is the real test). The test system included the MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium motherboard, G.Skill F4-4000 DDR4 memory, and a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate. We asked them to reset the UEFI back to defaults, and once that was done. They demonstrated the single click to get to 5.2GHz, simply by setting the Game Boost to 11. After a quick reboot, the system took a moment to re-enter the UEFI, but once it did, it was showing 5.2GHz once again.
http://www.legitreviews.com/msi-all...-5-2ghz-select-intel-z270-motherboards_190225

Back