Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse than that, how do you share a Switch? A mobile phone is a compulsory peripheral for online play with friends?? After you've played a bit of Zelda on the TV and your 10 yo son wants to play Splatoon in the car, he has to pair it with his Samsung phone first?

You couldn't actually script such a bad design if you were writing a Netflix Originals farce...

A bit?

Lol, unless we're in for some gigantic surprise on the SoC side, the Switch in docked mode is practically equivalent to how the OUYA compared to other consoles at the time.

Rocket League, the PSN best-selling game that generated the most amount of money on the PS4 in 2016, can only be played with a plus account.

So yes, it works for them.
Thanks, didn't know they had gotten rocket league. Thing is though, paying for online is one of my items when I sum up gaming costs PC vs. console for me and mobile vs. console for my daughters. Another damn monthly automatic drain from the accounts. And I have a reasonable economy, so if I am turned off by monthly fees for online play, I can't imagine that the distaste isn't quite wide spread. So, yes, it is obviously a source of income for Sony and MS, but it equally obviously is something that costs them customers. Who knows how it really balances out? Nobody does. For me, it is another strike against consoles as gaming platforms, which, in conjunction with the inflated game prices (and limited utility), make them unappealing compared to PCs and mobile. As I said above, some of the criticism levelled against the Switch is valid for PS4 and XBO as well, when you compare vs. PC and mobile, as opposed to just between consoles.
We still lack solid pricing (never mind technical) info for the online aspects, unfortunately.

Worse than that, how do you share a Switch? A mobile phone is a compulsory peripheral for online play with friends?? After you've played a bit of Zelda on the TV and your 10 yo son wants to play Splatoon in the car, he has to pair it with his Samsung phone first?

You couldn't actually script such a bad design if you were writing a Netflix Originals farce...
How do you propose that he be able to talk to his friends in the car without a cellular device? Wasn't that a given?

Pricing in different regions

a2a2c3-1484302868.png

Another damn monthly automatic drain from the accounts...
Why monthly drain? I spent £35 for thereabouts for a year's PS+. £35 as a single cost is certainly affordable and something you can even set as a Christmas or birthday type present. The PSN experience is reasonable for the money IMO, although a bit flaky. Across the chat options (cross title party chat) and added games, I think the value is just about there, and I'd rather pay £35 a year for a decent service than nothing a year for a crappy one that's not invested in.

I too hate the online paywalls everywhere and it's enough to kill my interest in getting a console again. Really disappointed to see Nintendo following suit.

Why monthly drain? I spent £35 for thereabouts for a year's PS+. £35 as a single cost is certainly affordable and something you can even set as a Christmas or birthday type present. The PSN experience is reasonable for the money IMO, although a bit flaky. Across the chat options (cross title party chat) and added games, I think the value is just about there, and I'd rather pay £35 a year for a decent service than nothing a year for a crappy one that's not invested in.

I just cannot forego comparing PS4 to PS3 and not be criticizing Sony's move. PS3 had free online gaming and PS+ was a completely optional service you chose to pay for, assuming it was appealing enough.
What does PS+ offer that wasn't there on the PS3? To me, PS4 and its PS+ requirement for online gaming just looks like a big ripoff.

Last edited:
Nintendo rep told me Zelda runs at 900p while in dock mode, and 720p while in portable mode, looks gorgeous on potable mode.
https://twitter.com/akirareiko/status/819804178532835328
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228250150&postcount=302

Zelda BotW is 720p portable, 900p docked according to a rep at the JPN hands on. The quote was gotten by Oscar Yasser who works in JPN, the second link is to his longer follow up post on NeoGAF where he elaborates. It seems it's a nice LCD panel anyway which makes a worthwhile change from Nintendo's former habit of rummaging in the reject bins at Bob's Discount LCD factory. So it seems targeting 720p portable and scaling from there on the dock is the order of the day.

Edit: Regarding sharing the Switch is it any more awkward than the one profile you an have on the Vita? I find their party system baffling versus Vita but the profile stuff has form unfortunately. I recall quite a few folks complaining about the problems of sharing 3DS games thanks to the one save per cart on some games (Animal Crossing leaps to mind in particular)

Does charging for online really work for Sony and Microsoft though? Note that the really big online hitters like League of Legends, DOTA, Rocket League, and so on are not on consoles at all. Online gaming is a part of consoles for sure, but those fees are equally sure to factor into the decision to buy into the respective walled gardens of the console providers since neither mobile nor PCs require that. To some extent the criticism levelled against the Switch is equally valid for PS4 and XBO.
It works. XBLG is the only thing keeping Xbox division in the black I think. There's a reason why they only report on subscription numbers, it's their largest form of revenue. Probably among one of the most successful subscriptions they have.

What a joke Nintendo. I did not mind the low specs as i would have used it only as a portable, zelda looks great as a portable game. But it's way too expensive, has a poor lineup. It's a mess.

Just wait it out and see how things pan out. Early adopters take the risk of buying into an unknown. The Switch seems pretty clear about what it is, certainly cleaerer messaging than Xbox One at launch. The unkowns such as the performance of games, the cost of online (and whether it will be decent) and level of support by third parties will reveal themselves in time. It'll also be cheaper in the future. Any hardware gremlins will get fixed.

Waiting is safer, particularly if money is a consideration.

What a joke Nintendo. I did not mind the low specs as i would have used it only as a portable, zelda looks great as a portable game. But it's way too expensive, has a poor lineup. It's a mess.

yeah, the launch games are poor. None of them are my taste :(

okay, im a bit interested in the new zelda tho.

32 gigs comes internal , os is installed so you loose some space . 720p 6.2 inch screen. Zelda can be played for 3 1/2 hours according to nintendos site

Pro controller $69.99 usd

A pair of joy cons $79.99

Joy con separate $49.99

Charging Grip $29.99

Dock with HDMI and AC $89.99

Joy con wheel (set of 2 ) 14.99

WTF is Nintendo thinking... Wow I guess they want to sell less switches than wii us
What a joke. The main system pricing and these accessories pricing are ridiculous. They think they're Apple and can charge whatever they want. Just like Apple fans, people will pay the prices but they don't have nearly as many dumb loyalists.

I said $100 for the dock, despite there being basically nothing in it so they can rape people for profits, yet people scoffed. Looks like I was about right.

I just cannot forego comparing PS4 to PS3 and not be criticizing Sony's move. PS3 had free online gaming and PS+ was a completely optional service you chose to pay for, assuming it was appealing enough. What does PS+ offer that wasn't there on the PS3? To me, PS4 and its PS+ requirement for online gaming just looks like a big ripoff.
Yes, with that comparison it is a big ripoff. However, free online services isn't good business. Just as I say Switch online needs to be free to get people using it, PS3 online needed to be free to get people to use it, otherwise multiplayer games would have been empty. After a generation of using it, PS user learnt the value of it and decided whether it was worth $50 a year to them or not.

I can only assume MS got away with charging for Live initially because their audience was a particular PC cross-over or something who appreciated the value. Also PC networking gaming was shit back then so there was clear value in a decent service that worked.

Just wait it out and see how things pan out. Early adopters take the risk of buying into an unknown. The Switch seems pretty clear about what it is, certainly cleaerer messaging than Xbox One at launch. The unkowns such as the performance of games, the cost of online (and whether it will be decent) and level of support by third parties will reveal themselves in time. It'll also be cheaper in the future. Any hardware gremlins will get fixed.

Waiting is safer, particularly if money is a consideration.

3DS got a huge cut due to poor sell, but not the WiiU, so, it's not a given, even if it bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back