Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the concept is right.
The price point isn't though. I'm not comparing with Sony and MS, because stationary consoles aren't even in the running, I'm comparing with iPads.

A small selection of full price games versus thousands upon thousands of "free" games? That's not a valid comparison. The Switch, like it or not, is more of a console than a mobile gaming device. It's supposed to offer the home console experience in a portable form factor, that's all it is. It'll never be iPad.

Wait have Nintendo screwed the pooch on online again?
"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games ─ all from your smart device."

That reads like the Switch doesn't have native voip, messaging or matchmaking? Or Friends lists? These hands on can't come soon enough

Entropy means price wise because they are competing products. You've $400-500 to spend - do you get a Switch or an iPad? That'll be the typical shopper. There'll be others for who the question is, "I want to play computer games on the go - what should I buy?" where the competition will be very different. But for the majority the devices are interchangeable gadgets, and for keeping the kids amused an iPad or other tablet is very effective so valid alternative to Switch.

Oh, and I didn't realise the launch line up was so weak... and 70$ gamepad pro...wtf ? Did they learn nothing from WiiU (and 3DS for launching price) ? I don't want to trash the dead, but I consider the Switch the last Iwata project. And it smells bad again. Pricey gimmick not a lot of ppl want. If they survive the Switch, maybe the futur project will be more "traditional". Which is not a bad word.

A small selection of full price games versus thousands upon thousands of "free" games? That's not a valid comparison. The Switch, like it or not, is more of a console than a mobile gaming device. It's supposed to offer the home console experience in a portable form factor, that's all it is. It'll never be iPad.
True.
The Switch offers something else. It can IMHO hold it's own vs. Sony and MS, where it sacrifices a bit of graphics power and games library for the flexibility offered by the joy-cons, full mobility and local multiplayer options. As a console it offers unique and for some, compelling capabilities.
As a mobile device however, the only benefit it offers is physical controls. Which is great, but... The lack of software compared to mobile, with console pricing to add insult to injury (compare MineCraft pricing for instance), plus having to pay for online.
And no console is competitive as a web browser, PDF editor, movie recorder/editor, news browser, Spotify and Netflix device, extra screen for the computer and so on that we use the iPads for.

Disagree about the games library for mobile though. There are tons of really good games for iOS, and a gazillion with interesting concepts. They are all gated by the limited interface options though, so Nintendo has it right when they focus on the physical controls and the unique game play possibilities they open up. It really is the best, and perhaps only really strong competitive edge consoles can have versus mobile going forward. But is it enough?

8AorVPc.png

Voice chat only available via the paid app smartphone...

Also limiting multiplayer even further. That works for MS and Sony with entrenched install base, but imagine buying a Switch to play online multiplayer only to find no-one else is buying into it... For launch, online needs to be free. Then when enough people are using it they can charge for it.

Also still don't get the voice chat app. Just use Skype. And Nintendo are charging for the app?? They really have got their heads up their own arses.

im still curious with their region free initiative.

totally region free like Xbox One?
or only physically region free while digital stuff are region locked like PS4?

and then, need more info for the digital licenses.
Can i share it? how much user/machine? can i keep it forever? etc

Also limiting multiplayer even further. That works for MS and Sony with entrenched install base, but imagine buying a Switch to play online multiplayer only to find no-one else is buying into it... For launch, online needs to be free. Then when enough people are using it they can charge for it.

Also still don't get the voice chat app. Just use Skype. And Nintendo are charging for the app?? They really have got their heads up their own arses.
Do they really charge for the app (how much?) or is it just that you have to pay for the online package? It's understandable that voice chat for a mobile console somehow ties into an (independent) cellular subscription, but they could still have offered stationary voice chat for all. It's like Microsofts idiotic paying for Netflix policy.
Be that as it may, nickel-and-diming your customers to death with overpriced accessories and whatnot has a long tradition on consoles, but that also traditionally goes with an enticing entry point price wise to hook consumers.

Looking at it logically, how can it? Are all the 3DS players going to pony up hundreds of dollars to play better graphic games? Is the USP going to appeal to the masses in a way neither a handheld nor Wii U could? In a quick update of the situation and having watched the sizzle reel, I'm seeing nothing that'll sell these things en masse. If you want console games you'll get a PS4. If you want handheld games, it's a far from ideal solution and you may just stick with mobile or 3DS. I certainly can't see 5 million people rushing out to spend $400 on a Switch and a couple of a games.

The features are features without support so they'll die horribly. Motion controls in the JoyCons? Great. Nice little expense on MEMS but who's going to write games to use them? How many motion games were in the sizzle reel? They learnt nothing from Sixaxis... Same with HD rumble icecubes. Great little tech feature, but utterly useless and valueless in real terms. Doubt 1-2-Switch is going to sell 100 million consoles.

Even their online service is laughable. Every month you get a NES or SNES game for free! In the face of Games with Gold and PS+ Games, that's exceedingly cheap. Nintendo drag out their history generation after generation to the point its now an embaressment. Also from what I read, it doesn't include voice chat and there'll be a companion app on smart phone for that? PSN can be pretty crappy at times; I dread to think how miserable and buggy Nintendo online is going to be.

My personally only positive is that the engineering and implementation is pretty cool. The controls and way things piece together and the versatility and potential, it's a nice idea. But it sounds like something on Kickstarter/IndieGogo that gets 10,000 people to fund it at a wonderful sounding 5x goal, and then dies in the real world. Without a killer app to sell this console to 10 million in the first year and a raft of unique, Switch specific games to make it worth having, my forecast is that in 4-5 years we'll have articles talking about how awesome Switch was and how loved it is by it's few owners and wasn't it a shame it never got anywhere when it had such quirky games as Mario Horserider and Pokemon Salt and Pepper.
Gonna disagree, well would like to but I agree with everything you said apart from mario horse rider, I think it will be Mario steed rider.

I was never interested in buying a switch, but I think it's beneficial having 3 console hardware manufacturers, especially with Sony and Ms being pretty similar.

But the more I hear about the switch the worse it gets, not better. They just sat in a little room and ignored any common sense. Maybe I'm just missing something.

It has an IR camera in the right JoyCon that can also measure distance, although that could just be a sort of area measurement and doubt it's a Kinect-style depth cam. Also accelerometer and gyro in both JoyCons, and high manufacturing quality for these to click together time and again. Shield tablet has shit quality by comparison. Oh, and 'next gen HD rumble'. There is a lot of tech in Switch explaining some of the cost, but in real terms it's mostly valueless tech. Would have been better off leaving it out and selling cheaper.

At this point I think we probably we would be much better served with a 200€ smartphone (or less) with HDMI out and a pair of join-cons.

Last edited:
I don't think they ignored common sense. I think they had a novel idea (one I'd floated years back!) but then did a Nintendo on the execution, ignoring completely the competition, ignoring history, and not really researching the users and getting feedback before investing. If they actually paid attention to the rest of the world I'm sure their common sense would have avoided this clear mistakes, but they like in Marioland instead of reality.

I see their share price has taken a hammering.

I do love the concept, and the games, that ARMS game seems really cool, but this product is really bad, plus all the added costs like online, SD cards, accessories...

Does charging for online really work for Sony and Microsoft though? Note that the really big online hitters like League of Legends, DOTA, Rocket League, and so on are not on consoles at all. Online gaming is a part of consoles for sure, but those fees are equally sure to factor into the decision to buy into the respective walled gardens of the console providers since neither mobile nor PCs require that. To some extent the criticism levelled against the Switch is equally valid for PS4 and XBO.

Allegedly Nintendo shifted resources years ago from the WiiU to the Switch. They delayed the Switch to this year to have software ready. And where the hell is that software? What the hell have they been doing for he last 2-3 years when it was obvious WiiU was living on borrowed time.

Yes, I find the price bad and paid online terrible. But the lack of software is mind boggling. whta are they thinking? They should have delayed the thing to September.

The Switch offers something else. It can IMHO hold it's own vs. Sony and MS, where it sacrifices a bit of graphics power and games library for the flexibility offered by the joy-cons, full mobility and local multiplayer options.

A bit?

Lol, unless we're in for some gigantic surprise on the SoC side, the Switch in docked mode is practically equivalent to how the OUYA compared to other consoles at the time.

Does charging for online really work for Sony and Microsoft though?
Rocket League, the PSN best-selling game that generated the most amount of money on the PS4 in 2016, can only be played with a plus account.

So yes, it works for them.

I don't think they ignored common sense. I think they had a novel idea (one I'd floated years back!) but then did a Nintendo on the execution, ignoring completely the competition, ignoring history, and not really researching the users and getting feedback before investing. If they actually paid attention to the rest of the world I'm sure their common sense would have avoided this clear mistakes, but they like in Marioland instead of reality.

I see their share price has taken a hammering.
And that's what I meant by ignored common sense.
Their basic idea I have no issue with, but what their doing with online, and everything you mentioned. To me that's just common sense to take into account what competitors are doing and history etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back