Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much what I expected. This does me just fine - pre-ordered mine at 7am this morning on Amazon. Yay!
This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered a Nintendo console, or even felt compelled to get one day one. Well done, Nintendo. :yep2:

The controller doesn't have to be connected, obviously I'm saying to separate the controller from the base to do this....

Edit:

Regarding price, a tablet isn't necessarily a good comparison in the sense that Samsung for example makes most of it's money when they sell you the tablet and Samsung has a much better relationship consumers at this point than Nintendo. Besides if Samsung were to fail Android software would not be impacted in any way. Nintendo is the company that needs volume to justify ports and a successful console to continue to viewed as a viable platform holder. Nintendo is being foolish if they think consumers are going to pay 300 dollars for this in any sort of volume, the price has to be much lower to facilitate adoption. At $300.00, most would simply buy an XB1 or PS4.

Okay so you separate the controllers. Now you need to but the Switch on a stable platform (e.g. a table). Can't play while on the move anymore. Each time you want/need to use the touchscreen you need to drop the controllers and pick up the Switch (because it wont keep standing up when going at it with your stylus). In other words its going to work like absolute shit.

Have you ever worked retail? If you did you'd know there isn't really all that much money in hardware these days. There is a reason only Apple and Samsung are making real money on selling smartphones for example. Also Nintendo simply doesn't buy in the same quantities as Samsung or Apple do. Even if Nintendo would sell 100 million consoles in 5 years time, which would make for a very successful console, from a parts perspective that still isn't a lot. How many flash or memory chips do you think a company like Samsung buys per year? I don't think Nintendo is making that much money on each Switch.

People have no problems buying 400 dollar consoles so I don't see why they wouldn't buy a 300 dollar console if it offers value for money. Again the Wii sold plenty at what in todays money would be similar to what Nintendo is charging for Switch.

What Nintendo needs to do is make sure they build up a attractive software library in the ~ 6 months after launch with another bunch of really good games coming out towards the holiday season.

Okay so you separate the controllers. Now you need to but the Switch on a stable platform (e.g. a table). Can't play while on the move anymore. Each time you want/need to use the touchscreen you need to drop the controllers and pick up the Switch (because it wont keep standing up when going at it with your stylus). In other words its going to work like absolute shit.

Have you ever worked retail? If you did you'd know there isn't really all that much money in hardware these days. There is a reason only Apple and Samsung are making real money on selling smartphones for example. Also Nintendo simply doesn't buy in the same quantities as Samsung or Apple do. Even if Nintendo would sell 100 million consoles in 5 years time, which would make for a very successful console, from a parts perspective that still isn't a lot. How many flash or memory chips do you think a company like Samsung buys per year? I don't think Nintendo is making that much money on each Switch.

People have no problems buying 400 dollar consoles so I don't see why they wouldn't buy a 300 dollar console if it offers value for money. Again the Wii sold plenty at what in todays money would be similar to what Nintendo is charging for Switch.

What Nintendo needs to do is make sure they build up a attractive software library in the ~ 6 months after launch with another bunch of really good games coming out towards the holiday season.
People have plenty of problems buying consoles for 400 dollars especially when the power isn't comparable, hence MS bundling so much software with XB1. Granted 300 is less but when you can get a PS4 or XB1 for similar price all bets are off. And this Nintendo's problem, without units no third party support and the additional burden of two failed platforms back to back.

299 kinda sucks. Considering XBO and PS4 cost the same. And then the extra controller prices sound even worse. And Nintendo announced paid online?

They definitely took a lot of switch goodwill and squandered a chunk of it tonight IMO.

I suppose this appeals to me more than the Wii U, so maybe Nintendo is moving in the right direction. At the end of the day though, the Best Buy preorder is up and I dont think I will pull the trigger. Even on a "ebay prices could be crazy" basis. Let alone for myself.

At the end of the day what games I care about is it gonna run? As with past Nintendo consoles, very little probably.

Alleged Nintendo March lineup from GAF (no idea if this is accurate)

March 2017
Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions) $59.99/$99.99/$129.99
1, 2, Switch $49.99

I Am Setsuna
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! $19.99
Super Bomberman R

April 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe $59.99

Spring 2017
Arms $59.99
Lego City Undercover
Sonic Mania

Summer 2017
Splatoon 2

Fall 2017
Skyrim
NBA 2k18 (September)

Holiday 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

Project Sonic 2017

TBD
Arcade Archives
FIFA
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2
Farming Simulator
Fast RMX (that F-zero lookalike from the sizzle)
Fire Emblem Warriors
Minecraft Story Mode The complete adventure
Minecraft
Puyopuyo Tetris
Rayman Legends Definitive edition
Rime
Shin Megami Tensei
Skylanders Imaginators
Siberia 3
Steep

Yikes. Yeah Zelda, but it's looking like the typical Nintendo console wasteland. A few and far between Nintendo core titles, and a bunch of family oriented trashbin titles.

At the price and lack of horsepower, I cant see it gain any traction.

I will say I tried to preorder at Gamestop and it said my cart was empty. So, if they all sold out already, the Classic is really helping out Nintendo, in that it's making everybody think Switch will be impossible to get and grabbing one (probably for resale).

Edit: In for one at Amazon due to their extremely friendly policies regarding not charging or putting constant preauth holds until shipment. Maybe can flip it for +100 on ebay or cancel it later depending how the wind's blowing.

Last edited:
People have plenty of problems buying consoles for 400 dollars especially when the power isn't comparable, hence MS bundling so much software with XB1.

I've never seen evidence to support this, this is a variation of the 'more performance will sell' argument. The truth is nobody knows the specific reasons why the console mass market buys what they do and people like you and I, who are into games and technology and chose to spend time on forums like this discussing them, are in a very, very small minority indeed and we're most definitely not representative of your average consumer which is the mass market.

I can see a lot of people will look at the Nintendo Switch and conclude, wow it's like a PlayStation or Xbox but is also portable. And that will be the value added proposition that makes the difference to them. If Switch hadn't been portable I probably would not have been interested (like Wii and Wii U) but the idea of a console experience that is the same on the TV as it is on the go, hugely appeals to me. Massively. Vita came close but the controls just aren't good enough for most PS3/PS4 games plus you were tethered to the main console or needed a really good internet connection to stream remotely.

If Sony were to take the Vita as it is today, update the chips inside to something recent and add hdmi out, it would be better than this. Nintendo should at least have added an App Store and allow self publishing indies? Now I feel my Windows Phone (950xl) with its Continuum dock is almost better than this.

Every games, even the Mario, look like WiiU games. With the same bad IQ (no aa, jaggies...). I don't care if they're good or not at this point, I'm not buying a new hardware for that... And Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 look really like theirs prequels. It made no sense to release another console for that...

If Sony were to take the Vita as it is today, update the chips inside to something recent and add hdmi out, it would be better than this.

How would be it better? I love my launch OLED Vita but developers just didn't give it support. I think merging TV and mobile devices into a single platform with two performance deltas is genius. Wasn't this always the promise of PSP and Vita? They were supposed to be portable PlayStations but they were PlayStations they couldn't play the games the PlayStation plugged into your TV could.

Every games, even the Mario, look like WiiU games. With the same bad IQ (no aa, jaggies...). I don't care if they're good or not at this point, I'm not buying a new hardware for that... And Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 look really like theirs prequels. It made no sense to release another console for that...
I think having a portable system might be the point, Nintendo has been trying to differentiate from Sony and MS for some time now rather than compete on power. I too like the idea of a portable system that can play all my games but I'm not convinced at this price they'll have sufficient sales to justify the ports. At ~200.00 this would be a very different proposition at least for me anyways.

I think having a portable system might be the point, Nintendo has been trying to differentiate from Sony and MS for some time now rather than compete on power. I too like the idea of a portable system that can play all my games but I'm not convinced at this price they'll have sufficient sales to justify the ports. At ~200.00 this would be a very different proposition at least for me anyways.

Yeah but they sell it as a home console too. If they said "eh, It's the new 3ds", I would be ok, really (even if I've doubt on the battery life). But the hybrid concept, I don't get it, I don't need it. I'll get zelda on my WiiU and that's it...

329€ !!!!!!!!!!!

That price, the online chat with a smartphone, the acessories prices, 1 rented VC game per month, the battery life...What a joke.

Some really cool games, loved ARMS, but I hope they start to do PC and other console games, because it will probably be the only way I will ever play those games.

Nintendo used to be my fav :cry: ...

Last edited:
Dead on arrival.

Expensive console.
Very expensive accessories.
Paid online for a compleltey unproven service with no unquie value add.

Good luck with this. Hardcore Nintendo fans will get one of course but that's about it.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2lzLjRjaGFuLm9yZy92LzE0ODQyODQ2MDU1NjAuanBnIn0.HKvqY-QXU-3ljI4I5YI3A79Iq6o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back