Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment Announced for Switch

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
2D Indie sidescroller Shovelware Knight confirmed for the Switch.

Which IMO isn't exactly good news, if they're resorting this soon to the Indie wave.

Wow, that is harsh bro. Shovel Knights is highly praised, with tons of positives reviews. Although Indie games aren't going to be selling hardware, they certainly have an audience across all platforms. Shovel Knight sold the best on Nintendo platforms, so its no surprise that they are supporting Switch. Having quality Indie games on your platform is a positive, and I have never heard anyone refer to Shovel Knight as shovel ware before. For goodness sake, Minecraft was an Indie game before becoming a massive success.

Wow, that is harsh bro. Shovel Knights is highly praised, with tons of positives reviews. Although Indie games aren't going to be selling hardware, they certainly have an audience across all platforms. Shovel Knight sold the best on Nintendo platforms, so its no surprise that they are supporting Switch. Having quality Indie games on your platform is a positive, and I have never heard anyone refer to Shovel Knight as shovel ware before. For goodness sake, Minecraft was an Indie game before becoming a massive success.

shovel knight is a great game..... but its also very old and avalible I believe on every platform and has been for a number of years. I mean its great if people didn't play it yt but otherwise its a not a huge win

I didn't mean to say that Shovel Knight is a bad game per se.
I meant that porting Shovel Knight to the Switch is shovelware in the sense that it brings absolutely nothing really compelling to the platform or even the existing game.
The game is > 2.5 years old and was released for Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Amazon Fire TV, 3DS and Wii U. What are we missing?

99% of the people who wanted to play Shovel Knight has played it already in one of the 10 platforms it was already released for.

So yeah, I think the effort of porting Shovel Knight to the Switch seems like an attempt to almost gratuitously fill the Switch with more titles, even if no one is really interested in playing them.
So shovelware it is.

The 2nd expansion launches in Spring, so it's not all old.

I suppose they could have given it an "Armoured Edition" sub-title instead for the Switch (the expansions are free anyway).

The Errant Knights (play on different meanings). :p

Last edited:
Yeah in fairness to the team behind Shovel Knight they promised basically 4 distinct versions of the game on their KS and by golly they are working to deliver that. Even if a recent exchange between Jason Schrier and Patrick Klepek suggests they might have wished they hadn't promised quite so much Shovel Knight!

On the positive side if it can be easily ported that's good news even if the game isn't a AAA, Lord knows that is not true for the Vita and not all pixel art games are light loads for their platforms

Back