AMD Marketing Tactics *spin*

Even if the competition is known, calling the product "poor" is just sad. See Audi and BMW, they are making fun of each other, but there is also a respect towards the other product. You do not improve the perception of your product by devaluating the competition.
I didn't watch the video, but I don't read the image as calling Volta a poor product. It's more like sarcastically feeling bad for Volta because Vega will be superior. IMO people get too concerned about these things. I think many people will find it funny and that's it. Taking marketing too literally only leads to disappointment.

Marketing is serious, as it shapes your customers expectations.Funny is something that works for an energy drink, it is not something that works for a high priced luxury item, which a high-end GPU is for the private user. We are talking about a product that is close to high end mobile devices, but with a much smaller number of potential customers.
Your understanding of the "Poor Volta" sticker puts a huge lot of pressure on Vega. A promise to be better than Volta means they must be clearly better than Pascal, somehow I have doubts they can deliver on that promise. And in marketing failing to keep your promises (or what customers understand as your promises) usually ends in disappointed customers, which usually drives them away from the brand.

Sure, sure. But it those Radeon/betterred stickers were placed by a random algorithm all over the scene's tagged poster assets. This is just a coincidence, albeit a hilarious one. It's not like AMD has released just this screenshot of the Video as prime art asset to be used, right? ;)

It is on AMD´s site, it is featured prominently in the teaser video, so they have approved it. For me High-End GPUs have become way too expensive for such marketing, after all they are luxury products in every sense, to be attracted by this form of guerilla marketing. But imho that is something the whole industry needs to ask themselves, does marketing for male teenager really work for 800$ products? I hate to say that but imho NV is a big step ahead in this department.

They approved the marketing campaign so the final word is theirs. And yeah, they did outsource the campaign to another company but everything is approved by AMD, screenshots are mocked up if changes needed then approved, first take on video if changes needed then approved, final take on video is approved. Everything is looked into with a magnifying glass, and they go through what each thing they have, and what impact will it have in the campaign.

Volta is a mystery at this point, how can you state your product is better than an unreleased, unknown tech? If every silicon company started this kind of trash talk marketing, the tech world will be a mess.

Sure, sure. But it those Radeon/betterred stickers were placed by a random algorithm all over the scene's tagged poster assets. This is just a coincidence, albeit a hilarious one. It's not like AMD has released just this screenshot of the Video as prime art asset to be used, right? ;)

I get what you are saying but that small little blurb sets up peoples' expectations. Reddit now is full of people talking about Volta is going to have problems coming out. This is just the start of it, the beginning of the campaign, what else can we expect from the rest of the campaign and how is that going to transpire with the rest of the graphics market community? I think we will start seeing many people coming out of the wood works and start making things up based on this, its already started, so its a given.

This is supposed to be tongue in cheek funny and raise hype... Now they have to deliver. As DavidGraham said, Volta is unreleased and should arrive later than Vega.

BTW "Poor Volta" is way better than some stupid "CEO math" we saw around. At least it's smart and funny.

I didn't watch the video, but I don't read the image as calling Volta a poor product. It's more like sarcastically feeling bad for Volta because Vega will be superior. IMO people get too concerned about these things. I think many people will find it funny and that's it. Taking marketing too literally only leads to disappointment.

That's the problem it will be taken that way, just look at Reddit/AMD, its already begun.

This is the same problem AMD had for years, setting expectations that are realistic. They have no control over what people may think but they do have control over how they message themselves and this is exactly what they are doing WRONG with this campaign in the first minute of it.

If that poster david graham posted is amd's marketing campaign I have no idea whats it's saying I'm guessing most people wouldnt either

CzuSUqH.jpg

BTW "Poor Volta" is way better than some stupid "CEO math" we saw around. At least it's smart and funny.
It is ? looks like the sign is warning of an electrical hazard behind the sign but theres been a sticker placed over the letters GE. Is it explained anywhere that volta is the codename for an unreleased nvidia gpu ? (I had to google it)
Also the advert says buy a radeon nowhere does it say why you should buy a radeon, unless amd think a warehouse full of drums is a reason.
epic fail imho

CzuSUqH.jpg

It is ? looks like the sign is warning of an electrical hazard behind the sign but theres been a sticker placed over the letters GE. Is it explained anywhere that volta is the codename for an unreleased nvidia gpu ? (I had to google it)
Also the advert says buy a radeon nowhere does it say why you should buy a radeon, unless amd think a warehouse full of drums is a reason.
epic fail imho
Aren't you getting way too literal? If you have to explain the joke, there's no joke...

but thats the point, normal people dont know anything about volta
they dont even know what maxwell or keplar are and they are released

but thats the point, normal people dont know anything about volta
they dont even know what maxwell or keplar are and they are released
That explains my point: with #poorvolta while only those that know a little more will get it, it's harmless for everyone else. Smart and funny. The "CEO math" was deceptive for everyone else, except those that know better.

you mean the group least likely to be swayed by a style over substance ad
such a success that all the talk is about the advert and not the product
ps:
Is demo-ing your new ryzen cpu at ces 2017 using a geforce gpu also a pr success :D

Last edited:
interesting enough, was watching some youtube reporters reporting on CES, many of them are saying based on what AMD has shown Vega, their marketing campaign is off the mark. They shouldn't have mentioned Volta when they are showing Vega around the gtx 1080 performance.

you mean the group least likely to be swayed by a style over substance ad
such a success that all the talk is about the advert and not the product
ps:
Is demo-ing your new ryzen cpu at ces 2017 using a geforce gpu also a pr success :D
C'mon, it was a pretty great advert!

(BTW- WTF advert are we talking about?)

EDITED BITS: Never mind, I went back to last page and remember now. :p

Also, I hated it when they were showing off 480s & Furies using I7s too!

Back