All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this p0int given similar quality in other aspects, they likely wouldn't be much if any cheaper. Prices in general should still come down though.

Yeah. 4k (and I imagine one day 8K) are going to succeed because at some (very near I imagine) point, price wont be any different anyway. You go to buy a TV, your only options will (are?) be 4k.

I can write a thread some later time, but Windows Central is allegedly trustable, and has some (likely rounded) December NPD numbers. Ps4 1.1 million, XBO 1 million http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-november-sales-1-million

Basically those are both somewhat poor vs expectation. I think especially PS4 which saw two large products introduced the last two months (PSVR and then Pro).

So, this might throw into question how well iterative consoles are going to "take" imo. PS4 Pro clearly didn't juice the market much or stem YoY declines.

But it's 1 month, we have many more months and Scorpio in a year to see if iterative consoles gradually fare any better, or if Scorpio is fundamentally more appealing..

PSVR sold 68k. So, clearly low supply responsible for the sellouts.

How close to a 65" 4k TV do you need to be to even resolve the pixels over a 1080P set? I think the Pro + 1080P TV is a better paring. Use the power for better frame rates or more effects. Some games go from 900P to 1080P too.

How is that better? Maybe it's game dependent but i don't recall the Pro rendering at 1080p in the presence of a 1080p TV. I am sure non patch games will, because 4K rendering will not be an option. A number of Pro supported games are just downscaling and offering supersampling which I don't think any one considers an improvement over native and doesn't affect frame rate.

Their stated goal was to raise average sale prices and prevent late gen migration to the PC. It's too early to tell if it has succeeded in those.

So, this might throw into question how well iterative consoles are going to "take" imo. PS4 Pro clearly didn't juice the market much or stem YoY declines.

You know as as well as anyone the holiday season is a race to the bottom, all the cheap peolpe who waited all year come out for BF deals. What sells are the $220-$250 bundles, a new $399 console is not going to do much in this time period. It is a niche product, appealing to the hardcore. The bottom end SKUs are always going to make up most of the market. The same is true for VR, it does not exist for mass market, it's a high end product with low expectations.

MS and Sony are in a race to $199 and beyond.

Speaking of racing to the bottom, I am surprised the store prices on WiiU (non second hand market) are still so damn expensive. I thought it would be $50 below PS4/XBone, not $50 ABOVE.

Hell, I just saw WiiU Mario edition at the same price as a PS 4Pro! $399.

Jan 12th will be interesting to see the bundles and prices of Switch.

a570da4c73b96b78b43502cad0f0095e.jpg

My apologies if this was already posted:

Sony has dominated the console market since launching PlayStation 4 in 2014. The company has sold more than 49 million PS4s to date globally, according to estimates by Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter—and will likely reach 58 million by the end of 2016. That figure includes about 2.5 million PlayStation 4 Pros, the new $400 mid-generation console...

http://fortune.com/2016/12/23/sony-microsoft-nintendo-future/

Yeah, but you're in a thread for both sales and sales rumors and anecdotes.
Right lol. Forgot.

Yup. I think ideally if we can get the Pro split for nov and dec, we will know if pachter was accurate with his predictions for world wide. My assumptions are that US followed by EU will make the major bulk of those numbers.

We had years of discussion about the importance of power in consoles on B3D, and no matter how much people claim it's the most important factor, they still purchased a Dreamcast, or a PS3, or an XB1, or whatever console they already wanted.
I think it is even more telling in the pocket console realm, by geek's logic the DS and 3DS should not sale.

It's not surprising that PS4 indeed sold better than expected.

As far as I know, PS4 pro is supply constrained in the Asian area- which includes HK, Taiwan, and Japan- all three regions were reporting having little to no stock, and orders flying through the roof.

From my personal experience, pre-orders for PS4 pro started back in September/October (when it was revealed), and I was looking at new orders having to be pushed to February delivery dates around late November (I pre-ordered way back in August confident Pro would come out late 2016, and the clerks were thinking I was crazy lol, in the end I got mine early December).

Second hand sellers are still selling PS4 pros for ~135% right now (original price ~13000 NTD, they're auctioning for 17000 or so now). Right now the distributors still don't have stock so Sony is indeed having a great holiday sales in these areas being limited to how much stock they push out.

I just checked Amazon US, and PS4 pro are selling for 430 USD new, while the PS4 slim bundles with stuff like Uncharted 4 are getting ~250 USD discounts. These figures also suggesting some level of supply constraint with the Pro, albeit not as critical as in Asia..

PS4 Pro is almost sold out in retail outlets and online stores in Japan unless getting it from scalpers.

PSVR is completely sold out everywhere in Japan and sometimes retail outlets do lotteries to assign a limited stock. Most PSVR units are in hands of online scalpers or shipped to China by resellers. The last large shipment of PSVR in 2016 was on Dec. 17 and I missed it lol. Basically Sony is getting huge opportunity loss in Christmas and New Year, if it's not remedied before Resident Evil 7 it'll be really serious. Is the bottleneck in the manufacturing process of the lenses?

I looked at the US Amazon.com and it has no stock of PSVR other than from resellers over $600, some are getting PSVR from Amazon.de but with the import cost from Germany to Japan it's no cheaper than succumbing to scalpers.

I think Sony has done quite poor job with the availability of the PS VR. Even the move controllers are out of stock almost anywhere and have been so for a long time. I'm not saying that they sent this to die, but the execution has been quite poor imo.

I think Sony has done quite poor job with the availability of the PS VR. Even the move controllers are out of stock almost anywhere and have been so for a long time. I'm not saying that they sent this to die, but the execution has been quite poor imo.

New products in high demand frequently sell out and it's normal for demand to outstrip supply for a couple of months. I'm not sure what you expect Sony, Microsoft, Samsung or Apple to do about this? Companies can have more stock available only by pushing the release date back but that would have meant Sony missing the holidays. :nope:

I think Sony will continue to struggle to keep up with PSVR demand for a month or two more. VR is a hard sell because you do have to experience it to really 'get' it. As more and more people get the opportunity to experience VR, demand is likely to grow and I imagine a fair few people will have tried a friend or family member's VR gear over Christmas - at least if the usage of our PSVR over Christmas is anything to go by! Job Simulator and Battlefront's Rogue One VR mission got so much play time :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back