I just had a stupid/fun/challenging thought, anyone wanna bet...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
...if I can fix the "busted" FX-9590 and Crosshair Formula V mobo with some serious geekery involving a spool of #12 stranded THHN I just found, some kind of jury-rigged extreme cooling, and a whole lot of my crazy luck?

When I was clearing the pins I'd put in the socket to replace the broken ones I noticed that at least two probably weren't making proper contact out of the 5. I'm thinking that if instead of trying to pull pins from old CPUs to use that if I unwind some of that stranded #12 it should be just about the same thickness as a pin but i could make sure it's long enough and flatten out the tops a bit. (I think, I'm hoping, I ain't got a lot to lose. :p )

Whatcha think? If nothing else a worthy challenge? I got nothing to lose and an upgrade from a Phenom II 965 to an FX9590 to gain. :D

is it that you are up to the challenge and wanting the challenge or maybe if you make it work you can give it to someone as their Christmas present? Your own goal seems realistc and achievable Go for it, I say. Made in America Christmas PC, I'd be in.

It's curious but...I remember studying that particular mobo for an exam a couple of months ago -the parts, back panel and so on-, now that you mention it. A good mobo if you ask me.

It would be my christmas present to myself. Selfish I know, but if I can do it I figure I earn it. Besides, I'm on a phenom ii 965 right now with a Radeon Pro Duo...my system NEEDS moar CPU power rather desperately. ;)

Ok, so my working hypothesis is that mebbe the pump didn't fail but one of my 5 replacement CPU pins did...or maybe a combination of the two. To test this I'm gonna make/rig up 5 new replacement pins and try the 9590 in it again just to see if I get tone. If I get tone, then I start playing around with the water cooler to see if it's functioning or not. If not, well it's still got a block for the CPU, hosing, and a radiator. I just gotta figure out a way to either replace or repair the pump on it.

That's the plan, not sure how well it's gonna actually work out. I got a few hours of morning stuff/helping my wife get ready for her xmas party at work and then I'll have 8 hours to play with it.

Believe it or not, I'm VERY enthused! I got nothing to lose and a world of gaming to gain. :)

Now here's the thing. Replacing the pins is actually pretty damned easy now that I got the proper sized wire, but figuring out WHICH pins to put in before I put in the chip can drive me mad! I have a very hard time seeing missing pins on the bottom of the chip even with new bifocals, (yes, I am old. :( ), and I'm trying to figure out an easier/better way by making some form of template so I know exactly which holes to put the fake pins in, any ideas?

Y1p9MQQ.jpg

Ok, so I tried pushing the CPU pins through tissue paper and ended up with more bent pins that I just straightened out. I did a high-res scan of the CPU's bottom, but I can't tell from the image which pins are missing since it's straight up/down. I'm thinking of sticking a pin through every hole in the picture of the CPU's pins then dropping the CPU in and marking what holes don't have pins in them, but I fear I'd go totally insane before poking all the holes.

I'm taking a break to fix my vacuum, I need a win as well as a working vacuum. ;)

Fixed the vacuum, then ended up field stripping it and cleaning it all out thoroughly including all the filters. It'll take 24 hours to dry properly, but it should be like new when done.

Now back to the bloody, bloody CPU pin thingies. <sigh>

Found all 5 and marked! My eyeballs f-ing hurt and I can't focus properly right now from counting tiny pins and holes, but I know where to put my jumpers now! :D

Gonna go cook for the boy until I can see properly again, seems a safer option.

7O1VfrX.jpg

Ok, so I had that all written up and forgot to hit "Post Reply" before running off and cooking for the boy. I'm getting ready to test some pin substitute styles on some open holes, then replace those pins in the picture with replacements and then fire it up and see if I get lucky.

If I DO, then I'm gonna have to figure out something for cooling....

And it was an absolute failure! No difference what so ever but a whole lot of aggravation and time wasted on it at least.

And on that disappointment, good night! :(

Damn it, this really is bumming me out. I was foolish to think it'd work, but I did and now I'm blaming myself for the failure from every perspective my brain can find to hurl at me.

Why is my brain so evil to me? Why with everything else going on in my life right now that matters does THIS upset me so? I got no clue, right now I just think I'm a weird and terrible person. :(

At least you tried. ;)
AND FAILED, FAILED MISERABLY!!!

Damn it, I know it's stupid to be upset about this but this one just slapped my mood into the gutter. I had this "mebbe this will be my xmas miracle!" type feeling the whole time I was working on it, and the total failure just crushed me.

Again, my own damned fault for getting my hopes up and I'll get over it in a bit; but for a few hours I think I'm just gonna wallow in self-pity and self-loathing and fear that age is finally affecting my abilities. (It is REALLY hard to put them little pins in them little holes for me. :( )

I'd say I'll quit whining, but we both know this is me and I'm gonna whine and mope about it until I'm good and finished. :p

Back