Virtuix Omni etc

Haven't tried it, but I think the biggest issue with these style of omni-directional treadmills (aside from the obvious business/market issues) is that you're not walking with a natural gate and you're not experiencing the expected sensation of acceleration of locomotion, so you're not going to completely fool your brain's motor functions, nor your inner-ear.

Aside from all that you've got the issue that for these things to work well you're going to need content built for it, and with all VR content right now you have movement systems that are built around having a static, moderately-sized play space that your head+hands can freely translate within, and then the locomotion system complements that by allowing that volume to move through the level (in most cases through some sort of teleport mechanic). This results in the majority of content being designed to exploit intuitive, precise, 1:1 short range interactions - leaning over to pick something up, taking a quick sidestep while reaching to pluck something out of the air, etc. With this sort of device you're taking all of that away in order to map foot sliding to a w/a/s/d-style movement scheme. I think these devices are a testament to the fact that they began development during that 2012-2013 stage of VR long before the word "roomscale" existed, or before any significant R&D had been put into motion controller VR content.

it works well except when you have to duck or grab stuff in front of u. Something like rec room wouldn't work well .

I am also large at 6'4 300lbs so movement really stinks when I get up to speed. I would need a bigger dish I think. One of the flat dish ones like

or

Something like the
would work better I think but its still gotta be crazy expensive

Of course the cyberith would be cheapest since u can just use socks and since its not curved you don't have to built a huge amount of support for it. You also can bend more easily . I just think as I said you'd want a larger dish for taller people. At some point however I think a treadmill will be cheap enough . Tons of companies make them for running and are reasonable at $300 + . I am sure a company can come in and build one for under $1k for vr I just think the market needs to be bigger

So noones tried it?
I was looking into spending about $10k getting a great VR simulation going, setting it up in a shop and charging people for usage.
Anyone know of anyone doing this sort of this?

The best thing you can have in VR right now is freedom of movement such that you can allow yourself to forget about your physical surroundings. I'd far rather have a 15'x15'x10' (or more) VR room than even that motorized omnidirectional treadmill. Walls that are beyond your immediate reach such that the chaperone boundaries rarely pop up, and a ceiling high enough that you don't have to worry about throwing overhand or jumping. Only peripheral I can think of that would be worth it would maybe be a motion rig for cockpit games.

So noones tried it?
I was looking into spending about $10k getting a great VR simulation going, setting it up in a shop and charging people for usage.
Anyone know of anyone doing this sort of this?
I have tried it. Read my comments. The virtux Omni's bowl shape kinda sucks for larger /taller people as it feels weird. I mean its still enjoyable and you can adapt. I like the flat circle of the other designs and its much easier to duck in thoses.

The biggest problem is software support and getting them to work right. Also you don't need to spend 10k . I think the virtux is like $800 and the other one is $1k

or get th wireless adapter and do back flips https://gfycat.com/FaintDefinitiveChick

$10k is for the whole setup eg $5k for PC. That infadeck looks the best but you can see the dude doesnt look 100% natural walking but still I expect you wont get perfect
Even a large room (5m x 5m aint large) you will still run the risk of people walking into walls. Is there anywhere in the world, where I could test all these things out?, hmm pity Im going over to the philippines in a few days I could of gone over to the states and tried these out and then gone down to mexico for a holiday.

I wonder if shoes with lots of little balls on the feet would be applicable, or walking on thousands of little balls?
Anyone tried something like this?

$10k is for the whole setup eg $5k for PC. That infadeck looks the best but you can see the dude doesnt look 100% natural walking but still I expect you wont get perfect
Even a large room (5m x 5m aint large) you will still run the risk of people walking into walls. Is there anywhere in the world, where I could test all these things out?, hmm pity Im going over to the philippines in a few days I could of gone over to the states and tried these out and then gone down to mexico for a holiday.

I wonder if shoes with lots of little balls on the feet would be applicable, or walking on thousands of little balls?
Anyone tried something like this?

You have to go to a convention. Pax east , pax prime , pax sanantonio , pax aulstralia , e3 and so on.

http://uploadvr.com/pocketstrafe-vr-locomotion-sickness/

"PocketStrafe is a mobile app for IOS and Android that connects to a PC (currently compatible with both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive headsets) through Wi-Fi. With it, you calibrate to your specific measurements, put your device into your pocket, and run in place to move throughout various compatible VR games."

This looks interesting. I wish someone would make a small wifi device that can do this instead of needing a full phone. Imagine getting small ankle bands like a fitbit and being able to walk in place and be tracked

Back