Change in upgrade plans for my son's PC for xmas, help please!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I was planning on getting him a 8350 with a Wraith cooler that's on sale at MicroCenter for $140us, and they offer $40us off select mobos with it so I could pick him a an 8350 w/Wraith and GA-990FX-GAMING AM3+ ATX for $250. That's actually $50 more than the previous setup I had, I can get the 8350 w/Wraith and a 970 mobo for under $200 with tax, but my wife's mother just sent us a family xmas card with a $500 check in it so I pan to blow it on the kids and my wife.

Maddy gets new headphones for her new laptop, I couldn't budget 'em in. Justin I'd like to look in to mebbe buying an intel CPU/motherboard for that might be a bit faster than the 8350...but I know shit about Intel right now so I'm asking for input on a decent CPU/mobo combo that would work with the rest of his stuff. (He has 16GB DDR3 1600, an R9 295x2, and a 1300w PSU)

Any input would be appreciated. Oh, and I'm also now looking for a gaming headset for him. One of them earphones with a mic thing, he's in to online gaming big time and now that he doesn't sound like a little kid anymore he likes talking while playing. LOL

Thanks in advance, sorry for being such a bother...but you guys always make me smarter and get a better deal in the process so I'm gonna keep abusing it as long as I'm allowed to!

(Oh, and my wife has another week of vacation coming up in 3 weeks so we'll keep the extry monies and use it for her to go back to Florida for the week to visit her family again. I can't go, it's the end of Maddy's semester and she'll have a LOT to do...but Chrissy's family will be happy to see her. :) )

Nope, not happening. I talked to my son, and damn am I proud!

I told him we could get the Intel setup, and he said he'd much rather have the 8350 with the 990 mobo. He said he just prefers AMD since he knows them, and it seems like a whole lot better value for the money.

Did I mention I was proud of him, DAMN I am! :D

Gonna get him the 8350/wraith/GA-990FX, we'll probably go and pick it up this week so we can have it all installed by xmas. :)

He's running a Xeon 3200 that BRiT was kind enough to donate to him along with a mobo & CPU cooler. He had been running a 9590, but the CPU/mobo gave out. (Probably my fault, long story...) Thus why he knows he'll be more than happy with an 8350, it should game right around the 9590's level.

Also, I was thinking of tossing this in too since he doesn't have an SSD and it seems insanely reasonble.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467511/M600_256GB_SATA_III_M2_SSD

Well I like the reinforced PCIe mountings, didn't notice the LED strip you can have pulse colours to whatever sound you're playing or the killerNIC. LOL

Looks like a fun board. :)

Any input would be appreciated. Oh, and I'm also now looking for a gaming headset for him. One of them earphones with a mic thing, he's in to online gaming big time and now that he doesn't sound like a little kid anymore he likes talking while playing. LOL

Playstation gold headset that now should be cheaper due to the release of platinum headset

Every gaming headset I've used has broken in some way after < 1 year. I went with a decent desktop microphone (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002VA464S/?tag=b3d-21 although I'm pretty sure I didn't pay that much for it) and just buy cheap in-ear headphones - I tend to have game sounds coming from my main speakers and voice comms through the headphones (only usually possible when using Teamspeak/mumble/discord/etc. rather than in-game voice chat). USB is definitely an improvement in quality over the normal 3.5mm jacks.

Yeah, I was planning on getting him a set with about a year's worth of life or less for it in mind. Nothing crazy high-end/expensive, just some decent headphones with a mic.

My wife's at physical therapy for her knee now, she's going to be stopping at home before going to work. I think I may ask her for the cash card so I can run and get all this shit before it goes off sale or xmas passes by... ;)

BTW-An FX-8350 w/Wraith cooler, a 990FX mobo that was made in 2016 with more bells and whistles than we want or need, and a 256GB M2 SSD all for $301us with tax? C'mon, that's a fucking INCREDIBLE deal! Or am I just imagining it, because the more I think about it/price around the more I start freaking. LOL

Oh, one other thing that is bugging me...he wants to stick with win7 instead of upgrading to win 10. :|

He doesn't like how you lose control over updating with win 10, but I keep trying to explain that the dx12 benefits will outweigh the pain-in-the-assness of it. Thoughts?

Let's just pretend that money isn't an issue on this one, just performance and preference.

I hate to say it, but I too preferred win 7 over windows 10...but I don't want to give up my DX12 after seeing the difference it made in Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

Back