Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF has released their technical analysis of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided yesterday... but today Eidos released a patch that improves performance on a Pro.

Bad timing for DF. :)
They did the same for Watchdogs 2. Publishing their Pro article just before the patch that removed performance problems on Pro.

Bad timing...or expert timing.

*ahem* Please try to participate in the current ongoing discussion. Continued pushing to turn this into a strict versus thread might result in reply bans being dished out and more post cleanups being done.

Thanks

Good and fun to see the Pro CPU is getting some love in the hitman video. People love to criticize it when even the base PS4 can give us nice looking games.

I have a bit of problem viewing 4K videos from digitalfoundry.net on my 5K iMac. If I use Quicktime it seems to render the videos in 1080p (!). If I use VLC I get a lot of stuttering. On windows on the same computer VLC seems to work a bit better but there is still stuttering.

The best experience seems to be to use Firefox' built in player but then it is impossible to get a perfect 1:1 pixel mapping....

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a bit of problem viewing 4K videos from digitalfoundry.net on my 5K iMac. If I use Quicktime it seems to render the videos in 1080p (!). If I use VLC I get a lot of stuttering. On windows on the same computer VLC seems to work a bit better but there is still stuttering.

The best experience seems to be to use Firefox' built in player but then it is impossible to get a perfect 1:1 pixel mapping....

Anyone have any ideas?
MPC should do the job

I commented on this time ago, but I always wondered how games that had unlocked framerates like Bioshock games or my much beloved Call of Juarez would perform on the Xbox One via bc, and Bioshock runs at 60 fps unlocked on the X1!!

7c192759bdca4c525f27577ec95d1b0b.png

video showing the difference, from Digital Foundry.

The game I am most interested in of the series, Bioshock Infinite, isn't featured in the video, just mentioned. But they promise a future update on this one. :)

Who cares about that ? As long as it fits their editorial narrative.

Come on now, you're coming across as the one with the forced narrative. What damienw said comes straight from DF themselves - it's their exact commentary.

If you watch the video, John makes it very clear that the frame rate is variable during gameplay and can drop down into the low fourties, with reduced controller response affecting control feel. And he points out that Bioshock two is actually worse in this regard:

[can't link with a timestamp - go to 4:11 and watch for 20 seconds]

They've picked out areas that show this, and included them in this relatively short video and explicitly comment on this. If they'd done this for a PS4 game you'd have been going ape! ;)

Edit: Here's Richard in the writeup, talking about Bioshock two:

And what's clear is that while there are still benefits to running BioShock 2 with the unlocked frame-rate option on Xbox One, the overall performance level is marked lower, and fluctuations in performance be dramatic ... To tell the truth, we'd prefer to play BioShock 2 at its standard 30fps lock, such are the jarring shifts in performance.

Last edited:
Who cares about that ? As long as it fits their editorial narrative.
do you feel like they've said anything out of the ordinary? The improvements in the framerate department are huge though not perfect. Taking into account that one of my favourite games ever is Call of Juarez and it ran at an uncapped framerate on the X360,a little tearing is not going to be bothersome --in my case.

They have a point when they comment in the analysis that they wonder how these games will run on the Scorpio, it's quite interesting. Maybe all BC games are going to run at 60 fps on the Scorpio? That can mean additional sales for bc titles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-bioshock-back-compat-analysis

do you feel like they've said anything out of the ordinary? The improvements in the framerate department are huge though not perfect. Taking into account that one of my favourite games ever is Call of Juarez and it ran at an uncapped framerate on the X360,a little tearing is not going to be bothersome --in my case.

They have a point when they comment in the analysis that they wonder how these games will run on the Scorpio, it's quite interesting. Maybe all BC games are going to run at 60 fps on the Scorpio? That can mean additional sales for bc titles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-bioshock-back-compat-analysis

Hopefully the 360 emulator will also take advantage of any CPU improvements for Scorpio too, so we can have completely stable frame rates across the board in all games.

It's not a solid 60. It hits 60 during the intro but is severely variable during actual gameplay.
That was just a test, because bioshock 1&2 allows open framerates. Normally you would play it with 30fps on xbox one BC and it would still run better than on original xbox 360.

But I don't get it that they couldn't test bioshock infinite, because they don't have it for xbox 360 .... it is not the most expensive title out there. I got it last year through "Games with Gold" or I paid 5€ for the title. i really think, they could afford this small investment :)

I don't know if it's due to its API, but the PS4 often gets decent performance upgrades through patches (TW3, GTA5, COD AW, Unity, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back