USB 3 type C charging rate

zed

Legend
Im wondering why when I connect my phone to the PC through the exact same USB cable and port (and all the same USB things connected to the PC)
20% of the time I get 1000mA charging rate (charging)
80% of the time I get 500mA charging rate (charging slowly)

cheers

Im wondering why when I connect my phone to the PC through the exact same USB cable and port (and all the same USB things connected to the PC)
20% of the time I get 1000mA charging rate (charging)
80% of the time I get 500mA charging rate (charging slowly)

cheers

It could be the cable.

I don't have experience with USB C. But in micro USB, the charging current varies widely from cables to cables.

Most cables will only charge at 500mA and occasionally 700mA. Good cable goes from 1000mA to 1.7A.

It could be the cable.
the USB cable is the same it never gets unplugged from the back of the PC.
Thats the thing why does the exact same setup give different results, I will just conducted an experiment.

ATM I get 1000 mA (charging),
(I unplug the phone and plug back in, which all takes 1 second max)
now its 500 mA (charging slowly)

Its not a major issue, I'm just curious as to why this inconsistent behavior happens

the USB cable is the same it never gets unplugged from the back of the PC.
Thats the thing why does the exact same setup give different results, I will just conducted an experiment.

ATM I get 1000 mA (charging),
now its 500 mA (charging slowly)

Its not a major issue, I'm just curious as to why this inconsistent behavior happens

Try charging and then disable it thru device manager.

How?
DM.png

Theres no Disable option for it, only uninstall.
But anyways that seems a bit haphazard disabling USB XXX, how do I know what it disables? ( I assume everything hooked to USB, which will nullify my mouse/keyboard which will make it hard to re-enable it again).
ATM connected to USB I have, an external audio device, midi keyboard, hardware dongle, keyboard, mouse all hooked up, plus a couple of others cords where I charge my phone (type C)/bluetooth (type micro B) devices.
I see no way of disable USB port X where the phone is connected

why is orangelupa wanting you to disable it for anyway whats he hoping to acheive
could it be related to power saving ?
have you looked in the bios ?

you dont eject the device, you just pull it out ?

You might want to check if your motherboard includes additional software to "fast charge" your mobile devices. Not sure which motherboard you have, but Asus provides the ability to charge devices 3x faster if enabled via their software.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013817

Possible hibernate/sleep or similar is interfering with charging and may need bios change/software.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013821

Last edited:
Cheers pharma, though I'm not really wanting a faster charging rate(*). I was just curious of the reasons for a variable charging rate

(*)If I want to charge my phone fast I plug it into the wall

Some other related questions on battery life

Q/ Is it true charging at a slower rate eg 500 mA vs 1000 mA is better for the battery?

we've all heard its better to keep the battery between 20-80%
we also know that batterys lose capacity the more they've used. X number of cycles
I have an app on my phone, accubattery
heres some charging data
A. 28% -> 39% uses 0.01 cycles for 11% of battery charged
B. 72% -> 81% uses 0.11 cycles for 9% of battery charged

Is this right? even though I charged the battery less in charge cycle #B it has worn out my battery more than 10x than #A
Is the difference really that great, seems a bit extreme

It's the software program's way to say how much the battery wears out : let's say you're battery can do 300 cycles and then it becomes dead or simply significantly weaker.

0.01 cycle means you're 0.003% on the way to have to replace your battery, and with 0.11 cycles you've used up 0.037%.

All the numbers are likely fairly wrong but they're indicative of something.
If you can use some battery management software or OS setting to charge only up to 70% or 80%, it could be an interesting way to make your battery last longer if you want to make that trade off. For instance it is good practice when using an always plugged in laptop to peg it to 70%, if like many you have a sedentary laptop (except for when you move it to some other room or place) you really ought to check if it does this asap, and configure it.

Q/ Is it true charging at a slower rate eg 500 mA vs 1000 mA is better for the battery?
True but mainly due to the lower charging temperature stress

Btw sorry I'm still busy fiddling with my nekkodamn pc with ssd that keeps flickering. Can't check out the USB thingy.

Will check it after I fresh install.

it could be an interesting way to make your battery last longer if you want to make that trade off.
yeah just tested for a laugh, charging from 89%->100% which uses 0.55 cycles but charging from 22%->72% only uses 0.11 cycles.

11% charge = 0.55 cycles, 50% charge = 0.11 cycles, which equals about a ratio of ~23x battery life

I guess the lesson is dont charge your phone anywhere near to full if you care about battery life

A charging cycle == discharging and recharging your battery.

A given battery may have a theoretical or practical lifetime of hundreds or thousands cycles. Lithium ion have less cycles than lead-acid for
example, but anyhow lithium-ion has become more durable compared to a decade ago+, thanks to battery management. There is a margin already built-in, so that 0% isn't literal 0% and 100% isn't a literal 100%. Dead zero charge harms the chemistry for instance.
With a laptop from 2005 from instance, perhaps earlier, the battery could be completed busted in a couple years, completely dead. Nowadays a battery that has seen heavy use is more likely to hold e.g. 30 minutes of laptop life instead of the original three hours.

Back