Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
60fps honestly doesn't add anything visually for me either, it feels less cinematic, more soap opera in a sense and certainly doesn't add shaders, geometry, lighting etc.

I'm sorry, but this is an utterly ridiculous thing to say. The very real phenomenon of movies looking "soap opera like" at 48fps vs regular movies at 24fps in no way whatsoever translates to rendered 3D graphics. I can play Doom at 60fps no problem whatsoever. I can also limit it to whatever framerate I choose, which includes 30fps and 24 fps. And both of those lower framerates feel horrible compared to 60fps. The very concept that the lower framerates might be better because they somehow feel "more cinematic" is laughable, they don't. They simply feel worse to play. That's exactly why ID chose not to lock the 'Cinematic Mode' in Doom to 24fps (which was considered). They didn't do it because it played like crap.

I'm sorry, but this is an utterly ridiculous thing to say. The very real phenomenon of movies looking "soap opera like" at 48fps vs regular movies at 24fps in no way whatsoever translates to rendered 3D graphics. I can play Doom at 60fps no problem whatsoever. I can also limit it to whatever framerate I choose, which includes 30fps and 24 fps. And both of those lower framerates feel horrible compared to 60fps. The very concept that the lower framerates might be better because they somehow feel "more cinematic" is laughable, they don't. They simply feel worse to play. That's exactly why ID chose not to lock the 'Cinematic Mode' in Doom to 24fps (which was considered). They didn't do it because it played like crap.
It's all relative, you see by limiting it to 30fps the graphics fidelity would skyrocket to a realm where it's simply not possible on a 60fps budget thus creating a much richer and visually impressive world for the senses even taking into account of the lower fps. It's not simply a case of 60 vs 30 Doom of the same settings, it would be like Avatar 30fps vs Toy Story 1 60fps. I'm not saying it's not smoother at 60fps but for overall visual impact and enjoyment of the game, 30 with gobsmacking visuals destroys 60 with much lesser fidelity. But I understand some people would favor smoother movement over visuals, so by all means.

Sometimes there is a difference, the fast paced fluid and oh so smooth gameplay of Doom, Titianfall, overwatch etc would be completely destroyed at 30fps, and without that smoothness it isn't DOOM,Titanfall or Overwatch. Some games do not depend so much on that but some do and DOOM is definitely totally that game which doesn't even have an identity if it played at 30 fps. The game needs the clarity of visuals at a blazing speed.
Its a old discussion which goes no where each time it comes up, but no, for DOOM, 30 fps wont be DOOM so it wont be any more or less cinematic or anything at all. Even a small judder in framerate destroys this game's feel, dropping ti down to 30....no way. Same for titanfall 2and Overwatch. These games depend heavily on utmost smoothness of framerate and clarity of fast paced gameplay.

you see by limiting it to 30fps the graphics fidelity would skyrocket to a realm where it's simply not possible on a 60fps budget
Would it or would it just increase graphics quality slightly, are current 30fps games massively better looking than current 60fps games no....

Really? I thought outdoor areas on Mars are the more ugly parts of the game, low poly sparse environment, weak textures and all. Doom really shines in the interior for me. 60fps honestly doesn't add anything visually for me either, it feels less cinematic, more soap opera in a sense and certainly doesn't add shaders, geometry, lighting etc. There are so many places where Doom screams out for more poly budget, texture res and could instantly benefit from being 30fps.
That said still a pretty looking game but not mind blowing.
once you start playing throughout the level the view is covered by the hills. What I mean that impressed me so much is the landscape when you come out of the martian base and get outside.

That was one of the most impressive views I've enjoyed in videogames.

Currently, some 60fps games look better than some 30fps games.
Some 30fps games look better than some 60fps games.
Some 30fps and some 60fps games look like shit.

But ALL 60fps games feel and play better than ALL 30fps games.

Word. Mic drop. I'm out.

Word. Mic drop. I'm out.
This should be a poster at every developers office.

Word. Mic drop. I'm out.

False equivalency.

Word. Mic drop. I'm out.
OK this may not be directed at you London Boy but to all those who are arguing:). This may be true in different title VSs but if we're talking objectively then it certainly wouldn't make sense. There's no way given the same budget, a dev could make a 60fps game look as good as a 30fps game, it's a mathematical certainty when all things are equal. You WILL sacrifice things to compromise for the fps. A 30fps Doom from an Indie or AA team would most likely look lesser than id's 60fps Doom whether due to experiences, tools, budget and etc but a 30fps Doom from id could break a Pascal Titan if they wanted to. Now when you say play and feel better I take it you mean in responsiveness and smoother motion right? Because these are just two very specific aspects of play&feel better. Great visuals at 30 could overwhelm your senses and brains in such a way that you are constantly immersed by the insane visuals and override the less smoother frames, out brains are constantly processing information based on new experiences, if something unprecedented is happening on screen all the time then you would be busy at appreciating the graphics and ignoring other shortcomings. If 30fps is so unplayable like some of you commented then it would be a phenomenon recognized and rectified long before we have this conversation;). Hundreds Millions of gamers would have refunded the broken games, nor would the reviewers given them high scores. Great visuals is an integral part of the Play&feel, for most players no less as we speak. 720/60 Low settings Doom or 4k/30 Max settings Doom on a 65"+ 4k TV? You tell me.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Most games running at 30 fps were designed to be perfectly playable at 30 fps. No need for refunds. Doom 2016 on the other hand, was not. Picking off a couple of slow moving, hit-scanning targets in Uncharted 4 is very different from running and jumping at 60 miles an hour, all while weaving around projectiles just slow enough to actively be avoided, and whilst returning fire at the same time. And in many ways, Doom 2016 looks just as good if not better than the competition anyways. I think it beats any and all competitors in the lighting department for example. Animations are stellar as well. It comes remarkably close to that "cgi look", and it doesn't need cut-scenes to pull that off.

Kinda, yeah. But when I'm refering to cut-scenes I'm refering to the typical engine-driven, yet clearly not gameplay kind of cut-scenes which use lots of extra lighting, better models, shaders, etc. Doom just uses very narrow focus and some Bokeh (which is also being used while switching weapons) depth of field while briefly locking you into an animation.

That docu is also first time we can authenticate that this tweet was indeed telling the truth about that [now legendary] Quakecon presentation:
owbums.png

:D

Astonishing game, but is it sponsored by Seagate?
With the latest patches the game takes up 78GB of disk space. For comparison, Bloodborne takes up about 30GB.

It was already over 50 GB when it launched (thx Megatexture). Still, where did the extra 20 come from? I'm guessing all the new multiplayer maps nobody really asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back