Nintendo Switch Tech Speculation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping for 3 or 4 SMs being put in there, even if it means lowering the clocks to ~800MHz undocked.

Sounds like there is a fan inside the device itself as well, not just the dock. Knowing the Google Pixel C clocks at 850Mhz with an off the shelf Tegra X1 without active cooling, I cant see the clock speed being lower than that in portable mode.

384-512 cores, 128 bit LPDDR4 feels like it would be very forward looking. Screw it - might as well hope it's Xavier-lite (Volta) while I'm setting myself up for disappointment.

USB C confirmed! Which is nice.

Presumably they use this for both power and video when docked. It's not clear how it lines up with the connector in the dock though. You'd assume that they'd make it so it wasn't fiddly.

So we don't know which Tegra version is in, but we guessed pretty much everything else.

Sounds like there is a fan inside the device itself as well, not just the dock. Knowing the Google Pixel C clocks at 850Mhz with an off the shelf Tegra X1 without active cooling, I cant see the clock speed being lower than that in portable mode.

Switch has to be able to go full tilt for hours without throttling, in games optimised to push the hardware more than typical Android wares will.

No idea if that means clocks will be a bit lower or somewhat higher - hopefully the latter - but Switch may need a fan to maintain clocks that would otherwise require throttling even in mobile configuration.

Any idea why they cover-up the transformation from dock to Mobile?

Reggie also pushing some buttons before giving it to the host.

Unfinished software that need some stuff to be done manually? The game played on the big screen actually is not from the switch on-stage? (like, there's actually 2 machines)

So does this mean that the N-Switch will have mobile hardware capable of competing with Ps4 and Xbone ?
Or should I lean more towards "These are bullshots until we get actual gameplay" ?

I'm looking at these screen shots and I've got to say this is beyond what I've been expecting from switch.

Some of the foliage looks sub-native in the (utterly garbage-quality compression) screenshots.

So does this mean that the N-Switch will have mobile hardware capable of competing with Ps4 and Xbone ?
Or should I lean more towards "These are bullshots until we get actual gameplay" ?

I'm looking at these screen shots and I've got to say this is beyond what I've been expecting from switch.

Define "compete"? LOL Seriously though, I think the signs are pointing to yes. Is it on par with those system? No, certainly not, but at the same time its not sounding like a chasm so large that it isn't entirely manageable. Think of the gap between X1 and PS4 for example, and how many games show parity between the two systems. On paper you would think having a 600gflop advantage would be a big deal, but apparently it isn't. Same will hold true for Switch, yes its going to be less powerful than the X1/PS4, but we aren't talking a 10x difference. Odds are we are talking a 2-3x difference, and that is totally manageable with a reduction in resolution primarily, and settings if need be. Dark Souls 3 is said to be running on Switch with performance the developer is happy with. This thing is more Xbox One than Xbox 360, and its a portable device, its impressive.

Well, that games looks good enough for me to be finally back 'in' with a Nintendo product. I'll let the misses know, she will be pleased they just better do a Switch Sport as it's all she'll ever play.

Dark Souls 3 is said to be running on Switch with performance the developer is happy with.
I agree with your post, except to say that I recall the performance of the Dark Souls games (certainly the original that I saw) to be utterly, utterly, utterly dreadful. I recall and underground swamp at something like -5 fps and with updates at such irregular intervals it made the Andes look like a sine wave. So good enough for the dev could be abysmal and nauseating by real people terms. ;)

Any idea why they cover-up the transformation from dock to Mobile?

Reggie also pushing some buttons before giving it to the host.

Unfinished software that need some stuff to be done manually? The game played on the big screen actually is not from the switch on-stage? (like, there's actually 2 machines)

For me it seems the game is just paused when undocked and Reggie make it resume, nothing weird.

I still think there is a chance the fan in the handheld unit doesn't run when undocked. Seems like it would be a big potential for failure in a mobile device which is constantly being moved and jostled around when in use. Just doesn't seem to fit with nintendo's reliability & stability-first style.

My current hypothesis is that the mobile unit is passively cooled when in portable mode with the clocks gimped. When it's docked, the fan in the handheld unit and the fan in the dock work in unison to dispel the extra heat generated by running everything at full tilt.

... I recall and underground swamp at something like -5 fps...

You mean it was actually consuming frames? Damn that game is hardcore. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back