Final Fantasy XV [XO, PS4, PC]

@Sigfried1977

here's i attached a few screenshot of pre-rendered in-engine cutscene. Its more noticable in gameplay tho.

you see her neck? her white clothes meeting her skin? thats ones of the easiest places to spot the video compression artefacts

FINAL FANTASY XV_20161203155555.png FINAL FANTASY XV_20161203155709.png

@Sigfried1977

here's i attached a few screenshot of pre-rendered in-engine cutscene. Its more noticable in gameplay tho.

you see her neck? her white clothes meeting her skin? thats ones of the easiest places to spot the video compression artefacts

View attachment 1785 View attachment 1786

Not sure whether I'm seeing what you're going on about in these screens. Your standards for video compression are rather absurd. Better sell off all your Blu-Rays and immediately and definitely terminate your Netflix membership too;) Anyways, just about all the cut-scenes with the main characters in them seem like they're driven by the engine. So what if they did sneak in a pre-recorded one every now and again if it means speeding up a scene transition. Even mighty Uncharted 4 did it.

Last edited:
Not sure whether I'm seeing what you're going on about in these screens. Your standards for video compression are rather absurd. Better sell off all your Blu-Rays and immediately and definitely terminate your Netflix membership too;) Anyways, just about all the cut-scenes with the main characters in them seem like they're driven by the engine. So what if they did sneak in a pre-recorded one every now and again if it means speeding up a scene transition. Even mighty Uncharted 4 did it.

this cutscene is way lower than bluray quality. its like netflix quality but lower.
in motion, the artefacts are much easier to see.

the luna scene was promoted as realtime with awesome quality. In final product, its prerendered with not enough bitrate.

like i said a few pages before this page, FFXV mixed realtime and prerendered cutscene. Both of them have mixed rendering quality. The pre-rendered cutscenes compression quality also inconsistent. Some of them looks bluray quality, some of them have lots of compression artefacts. Heck, ONE of them have super bad audio, sounding like low bitrate MP3.

out of disk space? not enough time to render? who knows.

It seems they learn nothing from the FFXIII Xbox 360 version fiasco with shitty pre-rendered cutscene. They should have made (realtime/pre-rendered in-engine and pre-rendered out-engine) cutscenes have consistent (rendering and compression) quality just like FF13 on PS3.

---

I disabled all processing i can disable on my TV. So no noise reduction, no compression artefact reduction.

EDIT:

hopefully they still have all the raw assets. So in a year or two, the PC version can get all the glorious quality it deserved. Especially because PC games usually played way closer to the screen than console games

EDIT2:

maybe this is why most people doesnt care with bluray and 4K TV? Because they simply doesn't see the visual quality difference compared to 1080p web-stream.

EDIT3:
btw im actually jealous of those kind of people.

see, ages ago on CRT era, i can't unsee the flicker. But none of my friends see it. They are okay with 64-128Kbps MP3, and i need 256 Kbps minimum. I got irritated with frame drops, low resolution texture, and low AF on PS3, they see none of those.

i got annoyed by PS4 jet engine hairdryer sound.... and turns out other people too. Yay :D

EDIT4:
but its the reverse with phone screens. I'm fine with 720p while my friends like 1080p at minimum.

Last edited:
@Sigfried1977

View attachment 1785 View attachment 1786

Are you sure? Doesn't really matter but I was pretty sure those were in engine. If they're video files, it would likely be for loading reasons.

Are you sure? Doesn't really matter but I was pretty sure those were in engine. If they're video files, it would likely be for loading reasons.
Sure sure.

Realtime In engine cutscene won't make those compression artefacts

Although the worse offenders are the quick cuts of kingsglaive cutscene in FFXV. So many artefacts

I just got the flying car,

At first I go \(0_0)/
Theb I go (~_~)p
Finally goes -_-

Invisible walls everywhere, It's too easy to die when landing and can't save when flying.

SO whats the game like? The judgement disc demo actually gives a good picture, basically the start of the game. I enjoyed exploring and fighting the animals around but dungeons are all locked off so not getting the feel of how engaging/rewarding the world exploration is. Does the fighting evolve? I mean how in RPGs u learn new moves and stuff, the battle system have place for all that? I havent watched anything to not spoil myself. Do the new moves come like combos in action games or something else? Also never seen anyone in any other armour except the black leather clothes, is there no armour stuff and all? do u feel that excitement if getting new weapons?powers and going back etc?

Don't expect a bloodborne or dark souls kind of armour upgrade variety. You're basically stuck with the black robes throughout the game. As for weapons, a bit better there but don't expect a huge amount of them. Combat is very fun but limited. Don't expect devil may cry kind of action. Or even kingdom hearts!

Last edited:
I love the flying car!!! Changes the game a lot. And it's actually fun to try to land without crashing to a ball of fire

i just wish its not instant death. Allow me to use Phoenix Down or something and it qill be a pretty nice QOL improvemnts.

@RenegadeRocks

Does the fighting evolve?
Yes and No. Around chapter 10 until the end, i forgot to do the evolution lol

I mean how in RPGs u learn new moves and stuff, the battle system have place for all that?
yes, but its in a separate menu. More like FFX grid sphere.

I havent watched anything to not spoil myself. Do the new moves come like combos in action games or something else?
Yes and No. Sm new moves are new combos some are special skill moves some are tag-team-combo

Also never seen anyone in any other armour except the black leather clothes, is there no armour stuff and all?
yes and no. Depending where you pre order, you will get more armor.

do u feel that excitement if getting new weapons?powers and going back etc?
nope. I go from start to finish using the same weapon from level 1.

New weapons have new effects like elemental damage, health drain, etc. But doesn;t feels effective enough. or game changing enough.

i like the stock weapons because those are simple
Fast sword
Slow big ass sword
high damage a bit slow spear

do u feel that excitement if getting new weapons?powers and going back etc?
nope. I go from start to finish using the same weapon from level 1.

New weapons have new effects like elemental damage, health drain, etc. But doesn;t feels effective enough. or game changing enough.

i like the stock weapons because those are simple
Fast sword
Slow big ass sword
high damage a bit slow spear

Man, so it's like FF10's weapons? :(

Your replies make it seem very low on variety in combat and rewards. Maybe I should wait for a price drop. I asked another friend the same questions, he is a first timer in FF, and the bugger just didn't reply. Makes me suspicious of a visually good looking game that might be very light on gameplay. I want to be wrong.

I'd have to disagree for the weapons. Not only the element infused weapons make your life so much better, but there are other very good weapons. Unless you upgrade the Engine Blade to Ultima (and that takes a long time, still haven't managed myself), then using that the whole game is a bit stupid. And on top of that, Noctis has all those royal arms to use which can be cool (personally I don't use them as they affect your HP).

@I.S.T.
You do have the option to use many other weapons tho.

I just doesn't get the urgency to change my starting weapon.

@RenegadeRocks
It have lots of variety. But it doesn't force you at all.

So you can be a boring king like me, who use starting gear and almost no new skills.

Or you can be a dragon ball z evolution king with crazy battle acrobatics and various weapons

Just like in Dark Souls (even though this is nothing like Dark Souls), combat variety mostly comes from fighting different configurations of enemies. And also just like in DS (and probably even more so like in Bloodborne), your starting gear isn't exactly trash and can remain rather viable. But like London-boy said, there are rather big differences between weapons. Sure, you can just stick with your engine blade, but it takes a long-ass time to even get it to +2, and you're gonna come across plenty of gear which completely outclasses it along the way.

I'd have to disagree for the weapons. Not only the element infused weapons make your life so much better, but there are other very good weapons. Unless you upgrade the Engine Blade to Ultima (and that takes a long time, still haven't managed myself), then using that the whole game is a bit stupid. And on top of that, Noctis has all those royal arms to use which can be cool (personally I don't use them as they affect your HP).

I didn't say the game have shitty weapon selections.

The game have lots of weapons variety. All of them are optional, the game doesn't force you.

Basically my reply to renegade above this reply is clearer I think.

Back