Why is AMD losing the next gen race to Nvidia?

Announcing GPUs for Google Cloud Platform
Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Google Cloud will offer AMD FirePro S9300 x2 that supports powerful, GPU-based remote workstations. We'll also offer NVIDIA® Tesla® P100 and K80 GPUs for deep learning, AI and HPC applications that require powerful computation and analysis. GPUs are offered in passthrough mode to provide bare metal performance. Up to 8 GPU dies can be attached per VM instance including custom machine types.
gpus.png

https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/11/announcing-GPUs-for-Google-Cloud-Platform.html

HardwareCanucks just revisited the GTX1060 vs. RX480 dispute with quite a large number of titles.

since the GTX 1060 6GB’s launch AMD’s RX 480 8GB seems to have completely wiped out its past performance losses and now leads the way in several key areas.
(...)
So which one of these would I buy? That will likely boil down to whatever is on sale at a given time but I’ll step right into and say the RX 480 8GB. Not only has AMD proven they can match NVIDIA’s much-vaunted driver rollouts but through a successive pattern of key updates have made their card a parallel contender in DX11 and a runaway hit in DX12. That’s hard to argue against.

Shame on AMD for not getting good driver updates on time for the cards' and games' releases, I guess.

P8Hn5Y.jpg

SSCVX0.jpg

While AMD's driver efforts in the latest string of games is commendable, the article will have reached an entirely different conclusion if he included these new 2016 games as well: Dishonored 2, Watch_Dogs 2, Shadow Warrior 2, XCOM 2, Civilization 6, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Quantum Break DX11, and No Man Sky. While also avoiding the use of the built in benchmark of Totalwar Warhammer (which gives results that are not representative of actual gameplay).

Also the comparison to July 2016 is flawed, many of the games tested were released AFTER this date. The comparison thus is not apples to apples.

HardwareCanucks just revisited the GTX1060 vs. RX480 dispute with quite a large number of titles.

Shame on AMD for not getting good driver updates on time for the cards' and games' releases, I guess.

P8Hn5Y.jpg

SSCVX0.jpg

I do not know why he changed the Quantum Break settings to be so brutal compared to before, that has skewed it more towards AMD in terms of DX12.
Original test:
GTX-1060-REVIEW-80.jpg

It gives the wrong impression on data analysis when he uses the latest as a comparison to how things have changed:
This is from the Dec 5th benchmark.
GTX-1060-UPDATE-77.jpg

And as can be seen the performance gap with those brutal settings is much larger, not necessarily reflecting the more real-world setting he used in the past.
Old test was 12% gain for AMD 480 over reference 1060, new test is 25.6% gain for AMD 480 over reference 1060.
I do not have the time but would want to check if any of the other games have notable performance difference that indicates game setting change rather than drivers.
Cheers

And as can be seen the performance gap with those brutal settings is much larger, not necessarily reflecting the more real-world setting he used in the past.
Old test was 12% gain for AMD 480 over reference 1060, new test is 25.6% gain for AMD 480 over reference 1060.

OTOH, in Doom's Vulkan test he apparently enabled that AA mode that effectively turns async compute off, which reduces the performance gap between the RX480 and GTX1060.

I don't know what's different between those tests, but given the massive performance gap in all the results, I'd say some description in those graphics is definitely wrong.
Looking at other scores, it doesn't look like the first graph is really showing results for 1080p medium settings and scaling off.

OTOH, in Doom's Vulkan test he apparently enabled that AA mode that effectively turns async compute off, which reduces the performance gap between the RX480 and GTX1060.

I don't know what's different between those tests, but given the massive performance gap in all the results, I'd say some description in those graphics is definitely wrong.
Looking at other scores, it doesn't look like the first graph is really showing results for 1080p medium settings and scaling off.
Oh man GameGPU.. :)
Remember HardwareCanuck uses PresentMon with a representative area-scene actually playable in the game to reflect it as a whole.

But yeah, needs careful look at the settings overall from past to now.
The historical settings are fine as long as they continue to be used as it provides a baseline.
Doom still does not allow that AA mode in Vulkan?
Not disagreeing but cannot remember the reason why it was like that originally and whether something they were going to change.
That said the Async Compute is nowhere near as impressive as the AMD Shader Extension used under Vulkan in Doom, but would add another 5-8%.
Cheers

Last edited:
These are the DX11 version scores, at that time, DX11 only boosted fps for NV GPUs. Seeing the test video at GameGPU, it is identical, according to HardwareCanuks description:

Though finding an area within Quantum Break to benchmark is challenging, we finally settled upon the first level where you exit the elevator and find dozens of SWAT team members frozen in time. It combines indoor and outdoor scenery along with some of the best lighting effects we’ve ever seen.

Different CPU or frame logger tool perhaps?

No, It allows it just fine.

The historical settings are fine as long as they continue to be used as it provides a baseline.
One month ago, results were consistent::
1060 3GB Review:
GTX-1060-3GB-67.jpg

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73737-nvidia-gtx-1060-3gb-review-11.html

EDITED for glitchy browser.http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/73737-nvidia-gtx-1060-3gb-review-11.html

Last edited:
One month ago, results were consistent::
1060 3GB Review:
GTX-1060-3GB-67.jpg

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/73737-nvidia-gtx-1060-3gb-review-11.html
EDITED for glitchy browser.
Yes it is the latest comparison article where the changes happened, sorry if I did not make it clear.
My context regarding the AA is using SMAA with Async Compute and whether its status has changed to work now (assumption is it still does not).
You saying you can now use SMAA with Async Compute?
Cheers

Last edited:
Not disagreeing but cannot remember the reason why it was like that originally and whether something they were going to change.

id (specifically Tiago Sousa) also promised multi-GPU support for Doom almost 7 months ago and we still have nothing on that.
Let's say post-launch development seems to be kind of slow. I guess they're getting ready for a major expansion and that's when they're introducing new features.

id (specifically Tiago Sousa) also promised multi-GPU support for Doom almost 7 months ago and we still have nothing on that.
Let's say post-launch development seems to be kind of slow. I guess they're getting ready for a major expansion and that's when they're introducing new features.
I went through more of the article,
unfortunately it seems Michael took on way too much for one article and project.
If you look closely you can see some games are in both APIs such as Hitman (strong for 480) and yet for others such as Rise of the Tomb Raider it now only has DX12 results which removes one that is strong for the 1060 under DX11.
I would say the data is incomplete, not surprising because this is a massive undertaking and probably needs another revist to clarify aspects such as testing Doom Vulkan and validating if SMAA has async compute performance, along with the complete data for games that can do both DX11 and DX12, and also importantly have the game settings matching historically (Quantum Break really should have more realistic settings as it did in the past but at least one other game has what could be a subtle option change as well).

I like his work, but yeah this needs more time before any conclusion, although does not stop anyone looking at the individual results to get a feeling on what is happening per card.
Cheers

Last edited:
AMD Readies Massive Radeon Software Update with Crimson Relive Drivers – Performance Increases For Radeon GCN Cards Across The Board
Current Issues that will be fixed for Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Launch:

• Radeon Software Installer may get stuck indefinitely during an update from task scheduler
  • Titanfall2 may experience black square corruption when the player is inside a titan
  • Radeon Settings shows software is up to date using Radeon Settings updater when it is not
  • Invalid video files may be created when recording on the first reboot after installing Radeon Software in Windows 7
  • Audio stream may not be released after disabling Instant Replay which can prevent idle to S3/S4
  • Recorded video clips can sometimes be longer than the Radeon ReLive timer indicated
  • Opening the Radeon ReLive Overlay in Microsoft Office applications slows system down considerably
  • Battlefield1 may experience green textures or flickering during gameplay and menu in AMD CrossFire configurations
  • Mouse cursor may experience corruption on video playback when recording The Division
  • Radeon Settings and ReLive crash may occur after enabling/disabling AMD CrossFire mode in Radeon Settings
On the performance side, Radeon cards such as the RX 480 see up to 8% performance increase with Relive. AMD also highlights that we are entering into the era of deep pixels with gamers shifting to 8K resolution monitors with HDR and Freesync support. AMD is also adding a signal detection utility in their drivers which allows users to detect bad HDMI cable and signals for diagnostics.

There’s also new VP9 Decode acceleration offering seamless and fluid 4K 60 Hz video streaming. This enables better visuals for consumers to enjoy. Radeon cards also get support for Dobly Vision and HDR 10 which offer increased brightness, contrast and color. AMD’s Freesync support is as good as ever with up to 24% lower click-to-response time with border-less full-screen mode. Support for the latest DisplayPort HBR3 is added in the drivers which allow single-link 4K 120 Hz, 5K 60 Hz and 8K 30 Hz rates.

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-software-crimson-relive-driver-leak/

yet for others such as Rise of the Tomb Raider it now only has DX12 results which removes one that is strong for the 1060 under DX11.
Good point, Also he ignored Quantum Break DX11.
such as testing Doom Vulkan and validating if SMAA has async compute performance, along with the complete data for games that.
SMAA is not using Async to this day, there hasn't been any major update in that regard since the original Vulkan patch.

mGPU seems to be waiting on updates to both DX12 and Vulkan. Updates that Sousa likely has access, but no control of release schedule.

Have they done anything with their compiler?
Possible but the release date seems a bit early. I know bridgeman mentioned on another forum they had the backend for Vega coming in a dev preview for ROCm around Dec 14th and used for the linux graphics stack as well as windows. That should be the compiler, but it doesn't seem like any major changes for existing products would be with it. The real changes would seem tied to the SM6.0 release and DX12/Vulkan updates whenever that occurs.

Yes it is the latest comparison article where the changes happened, sorry if I did not make it clear.
My context regarding the AA is using SMAA with Async Compute and whether its status has changed to work now (assumption is it still does not).
You saying you can now use SMAA with Async Compute?
Cheers

SMAA does disable Async Compute on AMD cards (not intrinsic functions though) but it turns out SKYMTL used TSAA instead:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...dated-review-comment-thread-3.html#post836088

I went through more of the article,
unfortunately it seems Michael took on way too much for one article and project.
If you look closely you can see some games are in both APIs such as Hitman (strong for 480) and yet for others such as Rise of the Tomb Raider it now only has DX12 results which removes one that is strong for the 1060 under DX11.
I would say the data is incomplete, not surprising because this is a massive undertaking and probably needs another revist to clarify aspects such as testing Doom Vulkan and validating if SMAA has async compute performance, along with the complete data for games that can do both DX11 and DX12, and also importantly have the game settings matching historically (Quantum Break really should have more realistic settings as it did in the past but at least one other game has what could be a subtle option change as well).

I like his work, but yeah this needs more time before any conclusion, although does not stop anyone looking at the individual results to get a feeling on what is happening per card.
Cheers

RotR shows better results in DX12 for both cards, so what's the point in including both DX11 and DX12?
ZvncEY.jpg
qLksFX.jpg

In the end, I do think it doesn't make much sense to include both DX11 and DX12 charts. Each game should be tested with the API that better suits the hardware being tested and that's it.
As long as the IQ is the same, we should be looking at each card's best potential, period. At most, do a little wrap-up on the latest DX12 titles to try and predict future trends, but that's it.

It's an ever-increasing and huge possible library and it's impossible to test every single game in every single setting that every single person wants. I for one wonder if 1.5 year-old GTA V is still relevant. Witcher 3 has been updated with DLCs until recently, but GTA V hasn't.
Regardless, I think the plethora of games is a lot more complete than most reviews out there so his conclusion seems pretty valid to me. I'm counting 6 Gameworks titles and 4 Gaming Evolved titles, out of a total of 13 games. There's little reason to complain about diversity.

And just as one could complain about not including Tomb Raider's DX11 results, other could complain about not waiting a few days to include AMD's next big driver update ReLive promising substantial performance optimizations.
But then he'd be waiting another week for a relevant geforce driver update, and then it'd be Christmas break, and then maybe he should be working on Zen, and then Vega.
And then he'd be stuck like Anandtech who have been getting a habit of releasing very relevant articles on dates so late that make them a lot less relevant.

Not his fault, MultiGPU didn't make it into the Vulkan 1.0 specification.
mGPU seems to be waiting on updates to both DX12 and Vulkan. Updates that Sousa likely has access, but no control of release schedule.
Is there any predicted release date for Vulkan Next?

RotR shows better results in DX12 for both cards, so what's the point in including both DX11 and DX12?
ZvncEY.jpg
qLksFX.jpg

In the end, I do think it doesn't make much sense to include both DX11 and DX12 charts. Each game should be tested with the API that better suits the hardware being tested and that's it.
As long as the IQ is the same, we should be looking at each card's best potential, period. At most, do a little wrap-up on the latest DX12 titles to try and predict future trends, but that's it.
It is integral to the latest article that has a conclusion about both APIs and importantly relative performance between the cards, if you include DX11 for Hitman and exclude DX11 for RoTR that is better for Nvidia, you skew the end conclusion about DX11.
By your suggestion then it should not be based upon comparing relative API performance but game performance and using what works best for each card, however it seems the scope of the project was to see how DX11 and DX12 performance has evolved since the launch of these cards.
We have Quantum Break DX12, but what would happen to the DX11 end conclusion if he also included DX11 from Steam that runs well?

There is a lot of further information required for such a project analysis because the conclusion can be skewed, such as settings and whether one uses options that would never be used in real-world gaming or those that tests features and how optimised; so we now have features enabled on Quantum Break that radically pushes the gap higher and seem aligned to AMD and probably would not be used on these cards unless capping performance at 30fps or have freesync, but people would complain if Witcher 3 had Hairworks enabled (which also would not be used on these cards and yeah an extreme example but just highlighting this factor).
And some other settings would need to be carefully considered and validated that they do not do more on one card over the other; not sure if anyone compared AMD-Nvidia for Fallout 4 from perspective of Godrays with HBAO+ and image quality, same way PureHair does more on an AMD card in Rise of the Tomb Raider so its impact needs to be exactly defined but then these options are part of the game and people would use them with certain settings.
And of course there is the async compute aspect that needs to be ensured is working such as with Doom (2016).

It is a tough call how to approach such a project and finding the right balance, which with the scope of what he did is pretty difficult and maybe it was too large.
Cheers

Last edited:
You are comparing two slides with two different set of visual settings, DX11 was tested with MAX quality and SMAA, DX12 was tested with NO AA and the Very High preset, which reduces the quality of shadows, sun shadows, reflections and hair simulation. The fact that DX11 managed to achieve such close performance to DX12 despite the significantly higher visual upgrade, means it is a good deal faster than DX12.

It is integral to the latest article that has a conclusion about both APIs and importantly relative performance between the cards, if you include DX11 for Hitman and exclude DX11 for RoTR that is better for Nvidia, you skew the end conclusion about DX11.
By your suggestion then it should not be based upon comparing relative API performance but game performance and using what works best for each card, however it seems the scope of the project was to see how DX11 and DX12 performance has evolved since the launch of these cards.
We have Quantum Break DX12, but what would happen to the DX11 end conclusion if he also included DX11 from Steam that runs well?

There is a lot of further information required for such a project analysis because the conclusion can be skewed, such as settings and whether one uses options that would never be used in real-world gaming or those that tests features and how optimised; so we now have features enabled on Quantum Break that radically pushes the gap higher and seem aligned to AMD and probably would not be used on these cards unless capping performance at 30fps or have freesync, but people would complain if Witcher 3 had Hairworks enabled (which also would not be used on these cards and yeah an extreme example but just highlighting this factor).
And some other settings would need to be carefully considered and validated that they do not do more on one card over the other; not sure if anyone compared AMD-Nvidia for Fallout 4 from perspective of Godrays with HBAO+ and image quality, same way PureHair does more on an AMD card in Rise of the Tomb Raider so its impact needs to be exactly defined but then these options are part of the game and people would use them with certain settings.
And of course there is the async compute aspect that needs to be ensured is working such as with Doom (2016).

It is a tough call how to approach such a project and finding the right balance, which with the scope of what he did is pretty difficult and maybe it was too large.
Cheers

You're making this comparison to be a lot more than what actually is. Here's the author's description of what the article is about:

As such, this particular article will use many of today’s newest triple-A titles alongside some old faithful games to see how things stack up now that both these cards have had nearly four months to settle in their lineups. Has AMD been able to leverage their frequently-marketed DX12 superiority to good effect? Has NVIDIA’s supposed driver superiority been able to keep their card ahead?

A large bunch of games were tested. A large bunch of scores were published. Author claims it's practically a wash between the two cards. His words were "it'll boil down to whatever is on sale" for customers looking at that price range.
Author also claims that performance delta of the RX480 got smaller in the same titles it lost when he made the GTX 1060 review 5 months ago. This is undeniable. He also claims between the two he would personally go for a RX480 because of the better scores he got with the new API. The importance of that may be subjective and each reader can take it at face value. If power consumption is a more important matter, the choice would obviously go to the GTX 1060. If getting a Freesync display is on the horizon, then the choice would obviously go to the RX 480.

The point of this work was simply to evaluate if the difference in performance between the RX480 and GTX1060 was the same as when the GTX1060 came out. It's an excellent work, at the very least because very few other websites seem to give a crap about incremental driver performance optimizations on cards that already had their reviews out. Many websites even throw into the pile several-months-old results when reviewing new cards.
That said, I'm not sure I understand why so much scrutiny needs to be made on what seems to me to be a fair piece. Is it perfect? No, but no piece would ever be.
Had he tested 50 games on 4 different resolutions with every possible API using 4 different cards at 4 different clock levels and using 10 different CPUs for each test, some dude in the internet would probably theorize it wasn't "enough data to reach a conclusion" because he had only used DDR4-2400 RAM and there should be 4 different RAM speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back