The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

Well, we obviously added a lot of stuff that's not really feasible on a console. Lots more geometry everywhere, displacement on the stone and wood and the shadow knights, more detailed hair and cloth fuzz on the boy, GI lighting and so on. I do wonder if any sort of extra AA may be added on the PS4Pro though, even if only by using supersampling for 1080p.

You should not expect AAA production value and grandiose graphics from a Team Ico game, no matter how long they worked on it.

I agree with that in general, but Trico with all the feathers is probably still one of the most complex characters in a video game. Also, I can only guess here, but traversing the environment must be quite a challenge, even if it might be using a lot of scripting and situation specific animations.

I agree with that in general, but Trico with all the feathers is probably still one of the most complex characters in a video game.
Yes, he often looks stunning, especially when strong light penetrates his feathers.
youtu.be/QLzUWJ0zk5M?t=1223

I wonder what the actual budget is for this game, whether it's indie level or AAA level.
How about A or AA level? Gaming conversation seems to focus on a binary divide between extremely expensive games or little games, as if the middleground doesn't exist. But it does, even if gamers typically only converse and draw attention to the AAA titles. Games like Hannah Montana or Barbie or Naruto or Earth Defence Force or Risen. Or No Man's Sky.

How about A or AA level? Gaming conversation seems to focus on a binary divide between extremely expensive games or little games, as if the middleground doesn't exist. But it does, even if gamers typically only converse and draw attention to the AAA titles. Games like Hannah Montana or Barbie or Naruto or Earth Defence Force or Risen. Or No Man's Sky.
Ah yes, I do appreciate the value of an AA game say Alien Isolation, Ratchet and Clank or Until Dawn. As long as it doesn't feel overly cheap, short or sub par graphics.

I guess the lines between AA and AAA can be rather blurry. Both Until Dawn and Alien Isolation look like very expensive projects to me. Maybe not Battlefield or Final Fantasy expensive, but the thought of calling them anything but AAA never crossed my mind.

It's only blurry because there's no actual classification. It was a marketing/reference term to differentiate the very best from ordinary titles. In real terms, AAA should be a tiny fraction of all software released. Ordinary titles (C grade) should make up the bulk. Crap titles (F grade) should be similarly few and far between because those turkeys are normally killed rather than released.

There is literally no game classification system based on budget, size, marketing, quality, or anything. The one term we actually have, AAA, has been stretched to cover pretty much any mainstream game from a mainstream publisher as a result.

TLG isn't AAA. That doesn't mean it's Indie or 'B-movie' spec though - it's just unclassified.

It's the standout game of 2016 for Simon Parkin (The guardian).

But the standout game of 2016 will be The Last Guardian, a Japanese-made buddy game about a young boy and a hulking, dog-like creature who together must escape a tumbledown castle. In the pair’s movements the game has all the masterly animation of a Studio Ghibli film, but The Last Guardian’s true power comes from the way in which a story of trust, companionship and restoration (Trico, as the creature is called, has clearly suffered much abuse at the hands of his captors) is told not through cinematic scenes, but through the game’s tactile interactions. If ever there was a story to salve the wounds inflicted by this dark year, this is it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...r-watch-dogs-2-dishonored-2-the-last-guardian

Last edited:
It's here. PS4(1080p) sometimes runs a low point ~20fps but PS4Pro(1080p) and PS4Pro(1900p4k) are a stable 30fps, well 4k do dips few frames here and there but overall experience is a solid run. Game is receiving a good reviews. Game has a HDR color scheme and its working for benefits.

It's an interesting choice to use PS4(1080p) if many games today run 720p-900p on entry-level thisgen console variations. People are happy playing other 900p games so it might have help a standard PS4 a lot.

I reckon like Ico and SotC almost no bugger will buy it other than fans so across that narrow segment it'll get crazy good reviews.
They said the preorders are beyond expectations, and it shows on amazon ranking. No doubt fans will love it, but I'm surprised it's getting so many good reviews from the general gaming press. It's definitely already a success any way we look at it. Specially considering the hype which created insane expectations.

I am avoiding all reviews until I finished the game. :LOL:

The game seems to have an outdated game design from PlayStation 2 times with all the typical errors like the rough camera and control problems.

That the relationship with the creature will work as an emotional experience was expected. Personally this is not enough for me. The overall picture must be coherent. Which is too much disturbed by the negative points. The Last Guardian is not a masterpiece, but nevertheless, I am glad that there is this game between the all these similar AAA games.

Back