1080p HDR image better than 4k non HDR ?

We all know how those ratings are only in specific situations so take the new announcements with huge grains of salt. I wonder how that will compare to the 2,000,000:1 contrast ratings on the last Panasonic Plasmas produced or the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratings on the previous models.

We all know how those ratings are only in specific situations so take the new announcements with huge grains of salt. I wonder how that will compare to the 2,000,000:1 contrast ratings on the last Panasonic Plasmas produced or the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratings on the previous models.

I don't know if that really matters, though. It's yet another example of the industry creating a bolt-on tech to mitigate an inherent weakness of LCD and, from what I can see, it seems like it should be effective. I still don't like the inefficiency of a display designed to create light that it is just going to have to obscure but, unless the industry comes up with a 1:1 LED to pixel backlight, it is what it is.

Well my TV was just picked up. I have to say with regards to the thread topic that as much as a resolution whore I've always been (and still am), it is the HDR that is the bigger game changer here. Even though I had major issues with my set I did get to experience enough that I just feel like SDR is a soulless husk in comparison. Even the simulated HDR+ mode on the TV created amazing visuals in Revenant and Kingslaive I watched yesterday, just stunning. I'm slightly struggling to find motivation to game in SDR anymore. Just gotta push through :)

I picked up a 55" Samsung KU6300 on BF for $550, am quite happy with it. I actually wasn't in the market but I wanted to get something cheap for the bedroom and this ended up being the old "for just a little more"...

Even the simulated HDR+ mode on the TV created amazing visuals in Revenant and Kingslaive I watched yesterday, just stunning.

Yep watched Houseboat (1955 film) and Jurrasic Park yesterday and both were like watching a completely different movie. Houseboat in particular was impressive as I always felt movies from that era were not being done justice by the muddied displays of today.

it seems this time its a real contrast ratio, not that balooned-up ratio we often see in TV.

this time panasonic did something like... added a second LCD layer. So basically it have 1:1 local dimming.

Yep watched Houseboat (1955 film) and Jurrasic Park yesterday and both were like watching a completely different movie. Houseboat in particular was impressive as I always felt movies from that era were not being done justice by the muddied displays of today.

i rewatched Pacific Rim,, this time in HDR and put the Dynamic contrast to MEDIUM. Dialed down the color to 50.
looks great :D the shitty black doesnt bother me at all.

btw i also tried the fake HDR, it do make SDR in my TV looks nice but too cartoony for me.

EDIT:
any TV have BFI without flicker?

my LG's BFI looks less flickering than my old samsung, but its still flicker.

Well my TV was just picked up. I have to say with regards to the thread topic that as much as a resolution whore I've always been (and still am), it is the HDR that is the bigger game changer here. Even though I had major issues with my set I did get to experience enough that I just feel like SDR is a soulless husk in comparison. Even the simulated HDR+ mode on the TV created amazing visuals in Revenant and Kingslaive I watched yesterday, just stunning. I'm slightly struggling to find motivation to game in SDR anymore. Just gotta push through :)

The taste of HDR I get from my TV makes me really eager to have the real thing. Apparently, one of the minor cues that the human visual system uses to determine depth is contrast. While it's not a viable replacement for a stereoscopic implementation, it can deliver a sense of depth that is lacking in an SDR display.

i rewatched Pacific Rim,, this time in HDR and put the Dynamic contrast to MEDIUM. Dialed down the color to 50.
looks great :D the shitty black doesnt bother me at all.

btw i also tried the fake HDR, it do make SDR in my TV looks nice but too cartoony for me.

EDIT:
any TV have BFI without flicker?

my LG's BFI looks less flickering than my old samsung, but its still flicker.
Yes, on the Sammie when you choose the HDR+ it has a set calibration profile for it, but you can then modify that. Speaking of calibration profiles, I noticed that most of the ones on the internet are too aggressive in turning back the HDR effect, it's like they want me to watch shit like it's the 1970's. I'm way more impressed with seeing just how muddied things have been.

As to cartoony, yea the thing that stood out most with the old movies is just how much you can tell they're standing in front of a screen at times, I suppose it bothers some but I prefer the clarity I get the other 95% of the time.

Other things of note.

We got Ratchet & Clank and FF XV which both look fantastic with the HDR, now I need to move the ps4 to the old tv for a comparison. I expect the difference to be striking as we did play the FF demo.

PSX made it a great weekend to have a 4k HDR set. The Uncharted, HZD, DS, and TLOU Part 2 trailers were awesome.

The downside of all this is that I traded my planned upgrade to the PS4 Pro for the 4K HDR, now I want the Pro more than ever......:)

i think i need to go to a store and ask for "OLED HDR DEMO" from LG and "QUANTUM DOT BLAH BLAH SUHD HDR DEMO" from samsung.

so i will finally see the true beauty of HDR, and accept my shitty IPS LCD at 1000:1 contrast ratio. Shit....

Quoted contrast ratio should be trusted as much as politicians. They also mean very little: OLED has supposedly ''ínfinite contrast ratio''. That basically means nothing. What's important is how dark the blacks are, how bright the lights are and everything in between. And how it all moves!

Other things of note.

We got Ratchet & Clank and FF XV which both look fantastic with the HDR, now I need to move the ps4 to the old tv for a comparison. I expect the difference to be striking as we did play the FF demo.

PSX made it a great weekend to have a 4k HDR set. The Uncharted, HZD, DS, and TLOU Part 2 trailers were awesome.

The downside of all this is that I traded my planned upgrade to the PS4 Pro for the 4K HDR, now I want the Pro more than ever......:)
One last observation from the weekend, sports telecast were generally poor with little/no improvement over the old set. Then again, it appears that the 49'ers are the only thing that can make the Bears look good....

Quoted contrast ratio should be trusted as much as politicians. They also mean very little: OLED has supposedly ''ínfinite contrast ratio''. That basically means nothing. What's important is how dark the blacks are, how bright the lights are and everything in between. And how it all moves!
But oled TV do have infinite contrast ratio.

i think i need to go to a store and ask for "OLED HDR DEMO" from LG and "QUANTUM DOT BLAH BLAH SUHD HDR DEMO" from samsung.

so i will finally see the true beauty of HDR, and accept my shitty IPS LCD at 1000:1 contrast ratio. Shit....

You could also try those demos at home beforehand, and be surprised at how much of a difference a good quality source makes:
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

(warning: downloads from that site are rather slow)

Personally, I wonder how much of those >1000 nits from the Samsung TVs like the KS7000/8000 are actually usable. With only edge-lit local dimming, I find it very difficult that 1000 nits aren't turning all the blacks into greys, even if the whites are burning our retinas from all the clarity.

You could also try those demos at home beforehand, and be surprised at how much of a difference a good quality source makes:
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

(warning: downloads from that site are rather slow)

Personally, I wonder how much of those >1000 nits from the Samsung TVs like the KS7000/8000 are actually usable. With only edge-lit local dimming, I find it very difficult that 1000 nits aren't turning all the blacks into greys, even if the whites are burning our retinas from all the clarity.
sorry My Android Keyboard Js Broken

I Have Watchedd HDR in My Shitty Tvv . Pacific Rim, lg Demos, ffxv.

The Rrsukts Are All The Same As I Desxribed A Few Posts Before This. Too Much Contrast Too Much CoLor.

What The Hell Wronf Wjth My Android Keyviard

Back