Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Yeah you definitely get used to it. Even Lucky's Tale gave me a bit of motion sickness when I first started playing it but it quickly passed. The more often you play, the quicker you get used to it.

Just tried out Windlands. Took off all the VR anti vomit-measures - no problems. Guess I got my VR legs.

Awesome game, by the way. Bionic Commando in VR basically.

As I said a few weeks ago...I really expect Scorpio to support as much VR HMDs as possible (with the Vive being the high-end experience IMO). Here's what Phil Spencer had to say about that:

You have an established relationship with Oculus and Palmer Luckey. How do the recent revelations that he personally funded racist propaganda in support of Donald Trump affect that relationship?
On the political side with Palmer, I don’t really have much to comment. Not to duck it, I honestly read the same things you read, but I actually don’t know Palmer that well. I’ve met him maybe twice, so I don’t have much to say about that.

Just to be clear on our partnership with Oculus: they license our controller to bundle with their head-mounted display. That’s what we did. And we happen to ship Minecraft on Gear VR and Oculus.

At a working level, we’re as invested in making sure that all the Windows head-mounted displays work. We’re working with Valve and HTC to make sure that device works, too.

I really see the open platform of Windows as a great place for VR development right now. Anyone can do it. You and I could start creating a VR game right now: we buy a compiler, you go use Photoshop and we can go build a game.

I think that’s what VR needs right now – it just needs a lot of people building experiences for it. We’ve yet to find the magic experiences, in my opinion, that are really going to make VR go mainstream.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-xbox-scorpio-and-beyond.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Phil Spencer said:
Anyone can do it. You and I could start creating a VR game right now: we buy a compiler, you go use Photoshop and we can go build a game.
Not going to be a very good VR game they make if they're using Photoshop and not some 3D modelling software...

I got the new razer blade with nvidia 1060. Rift works wonderfully on it. Based on the first ~half an hour or so I would claim blade runs vr better than my desktop with nvidia 780 Ghz edition. This is quite an achievement for not too thick 14" laptop.

Blade supports rift "out of the box". No hacking needed. I guess razers vr ready claims are true.

Last edited:
Not going to be a very good VR game they make if they're using Photoshop and not some 3D modelling software...

Flat 3d should look good in VR I think. Imagine making a game where everything is flat, like Mario paper.

Only the world is 3d.

Make it like a miniature world floating in front of you

It's still 3D. If you just use 2D sprites (3D quads), texture res will need to be off the charts! But would like to see a VR Tearaway world - would look amazing if with good quality GI. Abstract is where VR could really shine.

Load up SteamVR and in the introduction section you'll see a few flat characters running around - it's extremely effective. Works on Rift and Vive.

It's still 3D. If you just use 2D sprites (3D quads), texture res will need to be off the charts! But would like to see a VR Tearaway world - would look amazing if with good quality GI. Abstract is where VR could really shine.

Yes I was thinking about that too. Presumably Tearaway didn't do well enough on PS4? Bound though is much like this and a Tearaway VR could reuse a lot of that tech. Bound is also getting a pretty serious Pro upgrade and it is already *very* good ...

Some hype and reviews while waiting. I'll get mine tomorrow. Hopefully the third sensor ships before holidays.

Oculus Touch is the best VR controller made to date. Period.

Its design is as close to perfect as we’ve seen and Touch has enough software between Oculus Home and Steam to keep you captivated for months. It performs perfectly in recommended setup conditions, and its finger controls should be a standard-setting innovation for the rest of the industry.
http://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-controllers-review/

The Oculus Touch controllers are exactly what Rift owners need: solid motion controls. But, surprisingly, they're also great gamepads in their own right. They're essential if you want a Rift VR headset.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/05/oculus-touch-review/

The controllers’ single coolest feature, though, may be a set of capacitive sensors that detect how you’re holding them. Touch doesn’t offer finger-by-finger articulation, but it can give you surprisingly responsive virtual hands. If your forefinger isn’t on the trigger, for example, Touch intuits that you’re pointing it outward. It can tell precisely where on the top panel you’ve rested your thumb, and if it’s raised, put your virtual hand in a thumbs-up position. The options vary a little by experience, but they create a totally new set of very natural gestures.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/5/13811232/oculus-touch-rift-vr-motion-controller-review

http://www.roadtovr.com/watch-us-test-oculus-touch-tracking-room-scale-tracking-to-the-limits/

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-review-reach-rift/

I'm so excited mine showed delivery today and I waited by the door and it never came. Now it says by the end of day tomorrow. That means I wont get it till like 10pm. But I can do more cleaning and get some last minute changes to maximize floor space out of the way

Mine still hasn't processed or shipped yet. Oh well, I have a 1080 that's scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I'll get to re-experience some Vive titles until Touch finally gets here. Also need to figure out whether the Oculus cameras are going to be able to handle my Vive's room size, or if I'm going to need to dedicated mounts for the cameras. I was hoping I'd be able to screw one or two of the cameras into the exposed threaded hole of the lighthouses, but I'm thinking that might put them too far away.

The launch lineup looks excellent though. The bundled software is actually almost too good - in the sense that I'm left wondering how many people are going to be buying much third-party Touch launch content at all for the next couple months.

from Reddit:

Free for Preorders

(Codes will be sent to you in an email upon shipping)

Free With Any Oculus Store Purchase (limited time offer)

Free Upon Activating Touch controllers

Free for Everyone

I think I would have been happy had they only bundled Medium and something else.

I guess the play area on rift is quite much smaller than vive based on reviews.

I'm probably going to get i expect you to die and wait for rest of the neat games to come on sale.

I need better gpu but I decided to wait just a bit. There is enough rumors that I want to see what comes out next.

Touch Launch Bundle

5 titles $89.99

Space pirate Trainer (14.99)

I expect you to die (24.99)

Kingspray Graffiti (14.99)

Super hot (24,99)

The climb (49.99)

and due to a promotion you'd get rip coil free. So that's $10

its a good bundle

and ups still has my controllers they didn't even try to deliver due to operating conditions... Its 3 miles from my house we didn't even get rain till 5pm and I got two packages earlier today.

This really sucks

Touch is amazing to a point that I would call it magical. The tracking is truly spectacularly 1:1 even with really fine movements. The capacitive buttons and gestures are much more useful than what I thought. For example grabbing and letting go is very natural. The getting to know the controller minigame/app is also just fantastic.

On the negative side the touch play area calibration is bit tedious and might take second try to optimize camera placement. Also without third sensor there clearly is ways to obstruct the path and get poor tracking if you turn away from cameras/place hands behind back.

Overall I'm super happy how touch turned out. And now time to go install rest of the free stuff and try it out.

Back