AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
An APU with a Polaris11-level iGPU and CPU cores that don't suck in single-core performance.
At least for the DOTA Pros who need constant 144 FPS Vsynced.

The disclosures so far for Zen indicate the chip that would be available for this event is the 8-core non-APU, so it seems unlikely we'd get much info on the future 4-core APUs.

Zen should improve frame rates, which should be helpful if the numbers are given and the comparison systems are fair.
Having Vega in the comparison would make the comparisons unclear, though.

I'm not sure how much meat there is to the event, with a gaming host, DOTA e-sports player demo, and product giveaways.
Is there something that DOTA needs from a new CPU architecture?
Vulkan backend might run really, really well with 8 cores. Although that would apply to prior generations as well. I can't imagine DOTA would strain a Zen without a Pro Duo pushing frames. It really is more of an APU demo title.

Wow a listing on a retail site with a 480 pictured and no specs. Couldn't be a typo? should stop linking to that shitty site.
Well RX 490 is or at least has been really planned product, there's little chance it was on AMDs site by mistake back then. The WCCFtech 'article' is still probably full of bs though

Latest result of a AMD pci id in, what else could it be, AotS,

nPm1GBn.png

AdoredTV guy claims the upcoming products is neither Zen nor Vega, if there's one thing I trust about this guy it's his information on upcoming AMD announcements

AdoredTV guy claims the upcoming products is neither Zen nor Vega, if there's one thing I trust about this guy it's his information on upcoming AMD announcements

If he's talking about the December 13th event then he's already wrong because the webpage clearly states it's about Zen.
And in case he's talking about this new card appearing with AotS scores then I guess we're in for an unprecedented new chip/card that AMD managed to keep a secret and away from all announcements and roadmaps so far. Which would be very weird, to say the least.

If he's talking about the December 13th event then he's already wrong because the webpage clearly states it's about Zen.
And in case he's talking about this new card appearing with AotS scores then I guess we're in for an unprecedented new chip/card that AMD managed to keep a secret and away from all announcements and roadmaps so far. Which would be very weird, to say the least.
It's demoing Zen, but no reason they couldn't release another product during the event. Showcase Zen and release a dual Polaris or whatever the card ends up being. We've seen partners showing dual GPU coolers and there was Greenland. Assuming a high end Polaris wouldn't be unreasonable either. Still seems strange as Zen APUs should be using Vega.

It's demoing Zen, but no reason they couldn't release another product during the event. Showcase Zen and release a dual Polaris or whatever the card ends up being. We've seen partners showing dual GPU coolers and there was Greenland. Assuming a high end Polaris wouldn't be unreasonable either. Still seems strange as Zen APUs should be using Vega.
Greenland is part of Vega-family

He was speaking specifically about an AMD product that would reassert their technical expertise and that's its neither Zen nor Vega.

I took this to mean it's a dual gpu Polaris variant

Releasing a dual-Polaris card would be terrible IMO. Dual-chip cards have been frowned upon for quite some time, and it would also mean Vega 10 is so far away that AMD needs to produce a transition card for the >$250 range.

The only way I could see this card with potential is if it's ultra-cheap for the performance of 2*RX480, like less than $400.
Then again it still wouldn't explain how AotS only sees one GPU, though those results could have been fabricated.
There was a time I hoped for a Fiji B with revamped PCB, higher clocks and 8-Hi HBM for 8GB VRAM, but it would need to come out until mid-2016 to make sense. Nowadays that would be too little too late.

Dualboard are frowned upon, and AotS should indeed recognize it. It's not impossible it's a Vega-variant, given the current schedule

Releasing a dual-Polaris card would be terrible IMO. Dual-chip cards have been frowned upon for quite some time, and it would also mean Vega 10 is so far away that AMD needs to produce a transition card for the >$250 range.

The only way I could see this card with potential is if it's ultra-cheap for the performance of 2*RX480, like less than $400.
Then again it still wouldn't explain how AotS only sees one GPU, though those results could have been fabricated.
There was a time I hoped for a Fiji B with revamped PCB, higher clocks and 8-Hi HBM for 8GB VRAM, but it would need to come out until mid-2016 to make sense. Nowadays that would be too little too late.
Could just be a bump on the 480x. 8 gig card with about 10-15% more performance would be pretty nice if they had it out this month or early next month and kept it at $250 or less pushing down slightly the rest of their line

Could just be a bump on the 480x. 8 gig card with about 10-15% more performance would be pretty nice if they had it out this month or early next month and kept it at $250 or less pushing down slightly the rest of their line

That would be possible and even welcome, but then it wouldn't be the card in that AotS score either.
That's a higher score than two RX 480 in explicit multi adapter. It could be a fake result, e.g. from a Titan X.

That would be possible and even welcome, but then it wouldn't be the card in that AotS score either.
That's a higher score than two RX 480 in explicit multi adapter. It could be a fake result, e.g. from a Titan X.
true didn't notice it. Could be two new cards that are just misread ?

I would hope there isn't a dual RX 480 unless Vega is that much of a beast and will cost $500 + and a Rx480x2 would come in priced under that.

He was speaking specifically about an AMD product that would reassert their technical expertise and that's its neither Zen nor Vega.

I took this to mean it's a dual gpu Polaris variant

It could just be X370 AM4 motherboards, bringing their chipset feature-set up to par with Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back