Formula 1 - 2017 Season

Just in case you've been living under a rock, this is what the new tyre width will be like:

CyaZx38WIAAfwqC.jpg

Thats fitted to a 2014 car, so with next years car you'll also have the wider track, a bit more like this:
5163.webp

Only thing that will create interest is if the tyres last longer than 2 laps at 'maximum attack' as Mika used to say.

Then, maybe from 2018 they can get rid of the stupid engine restriction so they don't have to be saved either and we can get back to the utopia of drivers being able to go flat out the entire race.

Cars will look more aggressive next year, not only thanks to wider tyres, but also different front and rear wings! As DJ12 mentioned, I too hope quali pace will not be miles away from race pace. Otherwise we can be in for 8s+ split between what car can do and what tyres/engine can withstand for the duration of the race. At least they are tweaking fuel flow limits for next year :)

Why do we get wider tyres?

It seems to me that the more grip the tyres have, the less fun F1 gets as high tyre grip narrows down the perfect race line.

There is a reason most action and overtakes are in slippery (rainy) conditions, as the tyres don't glue so well.

I am curious what the reason for this change is and fast forward one year: if this will be a boring season with no real overtakes at all.

I don't know but F1 fans are a very tricky bunch to please. Some say not enough overtaking whilst others complain DRS has made overtaking too easy.

If you look at the stats there is more overtaking now than in a lot of periods in the past.

F1 is really trying to combat falling viewing figures ... That is due to a variety of reasons, one being that F1 is being sold to pay wall channels and networks where once it was free.

In theory, more grip = less dependence on downforce to go fast = easier to overtake because they don't need as much downforce. But then apparently the new rear wings will make it harder to follow. It's difficult to look at one change in isolation, because it doesn't give a good view overall.

But aero will be more important again with the 2017 rules so wider tires are not going to make a jot of difference. They should have taken off downforce and added mechanical grip.

I'm sure it will be more fun for the drivers but I doubt its is going to be more fun for the fans. Its not like you can see a car go two or three seconds faster, certainly not with the way most races are shot which does a poor job at showing the speed of these cars.

I really, really hope that the new F1 owners will bring the presentation to a new level. In the US they know how to present NASCAR and IndyCar to the fans. Now with Ecclestone basically gone I hope they will take this on soon.

In the US they know how to present NASCAR and IndyCar to the fans.
Do they ?
out of curiosity i watched the beginning of a nascar race on youtube it was jingoistic and incredibly tacky I was waiting for the dancing girls and a marching band

Well the "working group" or whatever the exercise in futility was called said more ground effect downforce instead or reliance on "Aero" was the way to go.

They were probably correct, but as usual were veto'd ignored whatevered

Problem is that the current ground effect needs aero to seal the floor to the sides. So following a car without much air on the front wing, which produces vortices to create that seal, there will not be much of a ground effect.

Just look at the massive rake the Red Bull are driving. Then you know how well their seal works. There are videos on youtube that show these vortices in moist conditions.

It doesn't really matter what Red Bull do now, if the ground effect rules were brought in I guarantee you they would be running the car as low to the ground as possible.

F1's current rules, aside from the diffuser, are there to negate ground effect downforce. Flat floors, planks stopping you running the car too low etc.

It doesn't really matter what Red Bull do now, if the ground effect rules were brought in I guarantee you they would be running the car as low to the ground as possible.

F1's current rules, aside from the diffuser, are there to negate ground effect downforce. Flat floors, planks stopping you running the car too low etc.
Isn't the banning of ground effects (partially) a reaction to accidents in the 80s? The problem with ground effect is that it's possible to suddenly lose a lot of down force unexpectedly, leading to some pretty nasty crashes if the car bottoms out mid-corner.

That should bring some quick action to driver markets, unless Mercedes goes to one of their "rookies", was Wehrlein still without contract?

Back