Will GPUs with 4GB VRAM age poorly?

Watch Dog 2: PC graphics performance benchmark review

index.php

index.php
index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/watch_dog_2_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,1.html

Last edited:
I think we need to see VRAM usage at Medium settings. Are these modern titles with higher quality assets (now that consoles get to also have decent assets), proving that 4Gb VRAM GPUs simply need to lower their details settings?

You need 980 Ti, Titan or 1070/1089 to reach 60 fps on Ultra settings at 1080p! Ultra is definitely not something that is targeting 4 GB users.

My point stands: 4 GB isn't a problem since these mid tier cards can't even run ultra settings fast enough (60 fps minimum). You need to drop to high settings -> significant drop in VRAM usage. Unfortunately this benchmark includes memory consumption graph only for ultra settings. It's odd that reviewers seem to be nowadays considering ultra as the standard setting. Even if you need a 1200$ card to reach 60 fps at 1440p.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but some games already do that. I was having troubles running some games at maximum settings (Textures included) even on a 3GB 660Ti, 8GB system @720p, the experience was stuttery, textures often fail to load till after sometime! I was clearly hitting my VRAM limit. Only after I upgraded my RAM to 16GB did my experience become smooth again! I was even able to run those titles at locked 30fps @1080p Max settings! These games were AC Unity, Batman Arkham Knight, Shadow Of Mordor, and COD Black Ops 3.
Yeah I ran into that with Dishonored 2 as well. 4GB GPU + 8GB system RAM will be almost entirely used at times. I ran into some major performance degradation after playing the game for awhile and it would reach this max utilization.

Installing an 8GB GPU reduced system RAM usage by about 1GB.

Last edited:
You need 980 Ti, Titan or 1070/1089 to reach 60 fps on Ultra settings at 1080p! Ultra is definitely not something that is targeting 4 GB users.

My point stands: 4 GB isn't a problem since these mid tier cards can't even run ultra settings fast enough (60 fps minimum). You need to drop to high settings -> significant drop in VRAM usage. Unfortunately this benchmark includes memory consumption graph only for ultra settings. It's odd that reviewers seem to be nowadays considering ultra as the standard setting. Even if you need a 1200$ card to reach 60 fps at 1440p.

I think the main issue is the 980 used to be the GPU for ultra setting and then 2016 happened and it was no longer. The shift was swift, sudden. Even by GPU standards, this was fast. This is some 1990s level of shit going on there. People aren't used to it. They've forgotten(Or, in the case of many, many of them, never knew. I know because I've read a fuckton, but I'm sure a lot of my generation or younger don't know. For the record, I'm a few months into 29. This is the age group I'm referring to).

Edit: Lack of comma fixed as well as adding a bit of text to flesh this out a bit more.

Last edited:
What I am trying to figure out is whether this is a pure GPU memory limit, or a problem related to insufficient total memory (GPU + system RAM). Modern PC games tend to overcommit graphics memory heavily. The remainder is kept on system RAM (*). This system works pretty well as long as you have plenty of system RAM to spare, but obviously it becomes a problem if you haven't.

By reading the discussion, it seems to me that upgrade from 8 GB -> 16 GB of system RAM is a higher priority for gamers than switching from 4 GB -> 8 GB graphics card. I personally have 32 GB of system RAM, so I have no clue about the stuttering issues present on systems with lower system RAM amounts.

(*) Vulkan and DX12 are the exceptions. Overcommitment is not possible with these APIs. Developer has to write custom code to move textures in/out of GPU memory. Asynchronous copy queues are the right way to do this. It seems that developers haven't yet managed to beat DirectX 11 drivers in GPU memory efficiency with their custom Vulkan and DX12 memory managers. I would guess that most devs are using modified versions of their console resource management on Vulkan and DX12 PC versions. These systems are written for UMA systems with a single shared memory pool, with the goal of minimum total memory usage (data is loaded directly to GPU memory). However on PC you could spend a little bit more system RAM to make things easier on GPU side. Robust management of separate memory pools (PC) and transfers between them require lots of extra logic. I wouldn't expect to see major improvements until we see engines designed from ground up to Vulkan / DX12 resource management model. This can only happen after it is commercially viable to drop DX11 support.

In the long run Vulkan and DX12 allow reduced GPU memory usage, as these APIs allow placing multiple resources on top of each other in memory. You can for example overlap your post processing (HDR) buffers with your g-buffers in memory. The gains are biggest at high resolutions (4K). You can also pack some data tighter in memory (DX11 resources have large alignment). Console games have done optimizations like this for long time already (very common with last gen consoles that only had 512 MB of memory). Obviously we aren't there yet. Currently DX12 and Vulkan ports consume more GPU memory than alternatives on PC.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting here in this thread sebbi. You posts surely are very enlightening!

But WRT streaming systems I still think you are talking about what can be done, while some of your colleagues just do other things - maybe because they don't get budgetting for better systems on PCs (which I imagine must be redesigned from an UMA like on consoles and thus do not come for free on recompile. :) The vague examples I mentioned are observed on our normal testing systems which have plenty of RAM (32 GiByte to be exact). So if we see popping there, developers probably do not run out ot main memory, but rather do use the SSD (not HDD in our case) as direct source. Which would further reinforce your point that streaming works, but must be properly implemented. :)

Don't get me wrong, I see reason in your postings and there are games out there that do show it's possible. But a lot of games otoh do not - which makes people prepare for those worst cases with large amounts of memories.

Don't get me wrong, I see reason in your postings and there are games out there that do show it's possible. But a lot of games otoh do not - which makes people prepare for those worst cases with large amounts of memories.
I think we are still under transition period. Devs have just maxed out current gen console memory budgets (at 1080p). 1440p and 4K displays are starting to get popular among PC gamers. Now again the consoles are the limiting platform -> devs experiment new high end effects and settings on PC -> crazy ultra settings. Both Nvidia
and AMD released their first consumer cards with more than 4 GB memory just one year ago (2015 summer). 980 Ti with 6 GB and 390/390X with 8 GB. I'd guess many devs upgraded to 980 Ti and now we are seeing the impact. It seems that many studios need to improve their streaming technologies to enable smooth scaling from entry level (2 GB) to high end (12 GB). This problem didn't exist year ago, so it is understandable that some engines show various issues.

My point stands: 4 GB isn't a problem since these mid tier cards can't even run ultra settings fast enough
However when we start to consider people buying GPUs now, 4GB is a no go with current trends, as 4GB wouldn't be enough for future titles, they are already not enough for several current titles, even if we don't include games that don't push 60fps. I already gave Doom as an example of a game running @1080p60 with a 970 class GPU and yet you can not enable max Textures/Shadows on 4GB cards even on a 16GB system, There is also Mirror's Edge Catalyst, FuryX can run it at Hyper settings @1080p60, yet the GPU can't do that because it is castrated by it's 4GB VRAM. In Rainbow Six Siege you can run the game fine with the Ultra texture pack @1080p60 but without any form of MSAA or TXAA, else it would shoot VRAM usage to above 4GB and the game starts to stutter. Deus Ex Mankind posts an astonishing 6GB VRAM usage @1080p without MSAA, and even more with it! All of these games behave like this with 16GB of system memory, things become much worse if only 8GB is installed.

Exactly! This further proves my point that system RAM streaming works. These games are doing the right thing! I would assume that the 8 GB RAM system was paging data to HDD.

I was complaining about games that need 8 GB of GPU memory (VMEM) to work properly. You should not need that much video memory as you can stream the textures to system RAM. This thread is all about 4 GB vs 8 GB GPU memory. My point is that 4 GB is fine as long as you have enough system RAM... assuming the game is not programmed badly.

I would expect that most gamers have 16 GB of memory. 16 GB of DDR4 is only 80$. 8 GB -> 16 GB upgrade is 50$ (if you have slots free). If you don't have 16 GB of system mem, then that should be higher priority than buying a new 8 GB GPU.

I would assume many users are on 8GB, most of them on DDR3, some on DDR4. (some of them with a couple 4GB sticks in a motherboard with two slots). An awful lot of Sandy Bridge to Haswell machines and some earlier ones.
I am sure it's a simple matter of updating the "conventional wisdom" but it was not very long ago that people were saying "4GB for browsing, 8GB for games, 16GB is useless"

(money exchange rates and RAM chip prices change all the time, so I'm seeing quite higher prices at my point in time and space. Otherwise even for non-gaming, non-multimedia I agree you'd better have more RAM than not)

Last edited:
I am sure it's a simple matter of updating the "conventional wisdom" but it was not very long ago that people were saying "4GB for browsing, 8GB for games, 16GB is useless"
I know. My friend had to convince me a lot to get more than 16 GB to my home computer. And 16 GB of DDR4 is just 80$ nowadays. Memory is dirt cheap. Unfortunately devs seem to assume that everyone has bought enough of this dirt cheap memory -> problems with 8 GB.

I think we are still under transition period. Devs have just maxed out current gen console memory budgets (at 1080p) .. It seems that many studios need to improve their streaming technologies to enable smooth scaling from entry level (2 GB) to high end (12 GB).
I think temporal reconstruction solutions are a great optimization start, Rainbow Siege uses one and it reduces VRAM consumption by a great deal while also boosting performance significantly, on a 1070, I was unable to push smooth locked 60fps at 1440p Max settings without resorting to it. Quantum Break's solution was a solid one too and it made the game docile to VRAM. Watch_Dogs 2 implements a similar solution to Rainbow and the results are good except that it breaks Ambient Occlusion which isn't a good trade off in my books. But in general, I believe these solutions are superior to any dynamic resolution technique deployed recently on PC (Forza 6, Forza Horizon 2, Gears Of War 4, Titanfall 2, Shadow Warrior 2).

Watch_Dogs 2 implements a similar solution to Rainbow and the results are good except that it breaks Ambient Occlusion which isn't a good trade off in my books.
Watch_Dogs 2 touts HBAO+ implementation. The reconstruction hampers the effect? Is this something you've personally seen or from videos/screenshots?

Watch_Dogs 2 touts HBAO+ implementation. The reconstruction hampers the effect? Is this something you've personally seen or from videos/screenshots?

It's not the reconstruction, but the reduction in samples. It seems like it was a lot more obvious in rainbow six though.

Last edited:
I think temporal reconstruction solutions are a great optimization start, Rainbow Siege uses one and it reduces VRAM consumption by a great deal while also boosting performance significantly, on a 1070, I was unable to push smooth locked 60fps at 1440p Max settings without resorting to it. Quantum Break's solution was a solid one too and it made the game docile to VRAM. Watch_Dogs 2 implements a similar solution to Rainbow and the results are good except that it breaks Ambient Occlusion which isn't a good trade off in my books. But in general, I believe these solutions are superior to any dynamic resolution technique deployed recently on PC (Forza 6, Forza Horizon 2, Gears Of War 4, Titanfall 2, Shadow Warrior 2).
It is great to see devs finally starting to use temporal reconstruction. Papers have existing for ages. Checkerboard technique in particular is working very well. R6 Siege was the first to use it, but now it is powering 4K rendeing in many PS4 Pro games. Hopefully devs allow checkerboard mode also on PC. I just got a 4K monitor. 4K at 60 fps is definitely achievable with checkerboard rendering (cost is similar to 1440p). Good temporal checkerboard implementation is hard to distinguish from "native" 4K.

4K checkerboard render targets consume only 50% memory (similar to 1440p). However texture streaming still need to load as detailed mip levels as native 4K. Checkerboard has negative mip bias (actually custom gradient calc). When camera is stationary the result is identical to native 4K.

Last edited:
Both, I have just noticed it in R6 Siege, and have seen it in screenshots for Watch_Dogs 2:
www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/watch_dogs-2-pc-performance-analysis/

It's not the reconstruction, but the reduction in samples.
Yeah, this might be the reason indeed.
It seems like it was a lot more obvious in rainbow six though.
Emm, To be honest I never paid attention to it in Rainbow Six till you mentioned it existed there.

Both, I have just noticed it in R6 Siege, and have seen it in screenshots for Watch_Dogs 2:
www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/watch_dogs-2-pc-performance-analysis/

Yeah, this might be the reason indeed.

Emm, To be honest I never paid attention to it in Rainbow Six till you mentioned it existed there.
I don't think it's the reconstruction that messes up the SSAO implementation. I would guess the lower resolution intermediate buffers (with 2xMSAA jittered samples) causes the SSAO implementation to misbehave. I don't know what kind of changes to the SSAO filter they implemented in order to support the jittered sample pattern properly. If they simply flatten the 2x2 lower res 2xMSAA depth buffer as 2x1 lower resolution intermediate buffer and feed that to SSAO, then the result will be different. And that still requires changes to SSAO algorithm, as the pixels are anamorphic. Checkerboarding is not easy to implement perfectly. Lots of small details that need to be considered.

I don't think it's the reconstruction that messes up the SSAO implementation. I would guess the lower resolution intermediate buffers (with 2xMSAA jittered samples) causes the SSAO implementation to misbehave.
Yeah, NV had this to say about the matter:
That first-take on the idea rendered the same number of depth samples as a full-resolution 1920x1080 picture, but only half the shaded samples, improving performance at the expense of image quality. This manifested as a reduction in the quality and visibility of Ambient Occlusion shadowing, increased shader aliasing, decreased lighting and shading fidelity, and a loss of fidelity on smaller game elements, such as leaves, grass, visual effects and minute pieces of geometry.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ormance-guide#watch-dogs-2-temporal-filtering

On an another note, ComputerBase results are up, they are in line with pcgameshardware:
WD2.jpg
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-11/watch-dogs-2-benchmark/3/#diagramm-watch-dogs-2-1920-1080

Edit: Results from GamersNexus are also up, in line with the previous two german sites:https://www.computerbase.de/2016-11/watch-dogs-2-benchmark/3/#diagramm-watch-dogs-2-1920-1080
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-11/watch-dogs-2-benchmark/3/#diagramm-watch-dogs-2-1920-1080
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2700-watch-dogs-2-gpu-benchmark-11-video-cards

Last edited:
Back