Self shadowing bumpmapping demo updated with offset mapping

Chalnoth said:
Now the really fun part would be to see if you can manage to accurately combine this bump mapping technique with a global shadowing technique (i.e. shadow buffers, shadow volumes).

I think that it shouldn't be too hard to combine with shadow mapping at least.

Re: Self shadowing bumpmapping demo updated with offset mapp

cthellis42 said:
Humus said:
Longest thread title in history :p
Good thing you don't live in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. ;)

hahahahaha I had a welsh friend wayback in high school whom could actually pronouce that.

Here's another shot still on Volari

bumpdemo2.jpg

Maybe it depends on the angle of the light 'cos this one looks like Doomtrooper's pic :

bumpdemo.jpg

Humus, could you please comment?

BTW, the Volari card used is the low end version (it's single chip only) - having half the pixel shader units of the Duo or the 9700 doesn't help either...

Yep for sure, the more DX9 capable cards out there the better :D
To me it looks like the shadows are different, do you have everything enabled..check by pressing F1.

tEd said:
i don't know but i think something with the lighting is wrong

It looks like attenuation doesn't work. I'm not sure I'm seeing any self shadowing on the brick either, but it might just be the angle as it seems to work on the floor.

Reverend said:
Humus, is the floor supposed to be wet/waxed? ;)

How do I control the light?

You don't :p
Well, shader editing is always an option. You can reduce or remove the specular if you want it less shiny.

Humus said:
Reverend said:

Well, shader editing is always an option. You can reduce or remove the specular if you want it less shiny.

Just tried it with 0.1 specular - IMO that looks better, especially for the bricks. But either way - simply awesome.

strangely, i get a "Couldn't create a Direct3d Device Interface" error.
Yes, i am using the CAt 3.10's, and all my other apps work - including your recent cloth simulation - but not previous version of this demo. It crashes with the same error (tried both individually) :(

Althornin said:
strangely, i get a "Couldn't create a Direct3d Device Interface" error.
Yes, i am using the CAt 3.10's, and all my other apps work - including your recent cloth simulation - but not previous version of this demo. It crashes with the same error (tried both individually) :(
OK, i fixed it - its quite odd.
I had to go into the registry where you store your values, and set "fullscreen" to 0.
THen the demo worked fine - even when i chose to go into fullscreen mode. how strange - you might want to look into this.

Humus said:
Reverend said:

But, really, what makes this "more (and more) interesting" is basically the specular aspect.

Why do you think I asked the 2nd question?

That's the problem, as I'm sure you (& et al) knows.

I really like that idea. Make a benchmark of all your nice shaders Humus, and make the peeps at Beyond3D use it in their reviews. ;)

Humus said:
Chalnoth said:
Now the really fun part would be to see if you can manage to accurately combine this bump mapping technique with a global shadowing technique (i.e. shadow buffers, shadow volumes).

I think that it shouldn't be too hard to combine with shadow mapping at least.
Well, I'd really like to see it done :) It doesn't seem obvious to me how you'd use the same displacement technique to get whether or not a pixel is in shadow by displacing it in the direction normal to the surface.

And, of course, then the next step would be managing multiple light sources properly....though that shouldn't be all that big of a deal, I don't think.

Back