PS4 Pro vs PS4 Graphical Comparison Thread

I don't agree with this. There is the theory and there are the facts. I think almost all the great looking Sony exclusives featuring good or very good amount of Anisotropic filtering proved us that this contention problem being the cause of low AF on many multiplatform games (but not all) was being blown out of proportion

You can't use some multiplatform games to judge a specific hardware problem. But if you take one of the best looking games this gen like: Infamous, bloodborne, Killzone and even a quickly done remaster TLOUR you realize they all have good or maximum AF applied while being graphically ones of the best.

Particularly the most impressive is Infamous SS IMO. Open world, high amount of polygons (>10 millions), high amount of high res assets and texture using very good amount (usually 8x) of anisotropic filtering applied. And that's almost a launch game so meaning the hardware is perfectly able of doing high AF and great graphics / performance with not much tweaking with the hardware and software.

I think they use low anisotropic filtering on many multiplatorm games because those games have to run on Xbox 1 hardware. Indeed this hardware showed us with some of its early exclusives (notably Halo5 and MCC) that it had serious trouble rendering decent amount of AF even when developed specifically for this hardware when 2 exclusives similar PS4 games (Killzone SF and TLOUR) were much better looking graphically while having a higher level of AF.

Overwatch had to run at 1080p on XB1 so they probably had to cut notably the AF (and use low resolution textures too) in order to do that (and the game still has trouble keeping its 1080p60fps target on XB1). But if you look at for instance The witcher 3 you realize this game has decent amount of AF applied on most textures (usually 4x or 8x and textures are higher quality) while being graphically one of the best looking multiplatform game with a very stable framerate. Well the game is running at only 900p on XB1...

My point being: yes the memory contention is a problem on all consoles but out of the box and just simply using the available tools, the PS4 is perfectly able to render great graphics + good framerate + decent level of texture filtering. Most exclusives and many multiplatform games showed us that it's a well balanced piece of hardware, well if you are using correctly all the cores of the CPU obviously.

Contention is going to hurt X1 too, like it hurt the Xbox 360 in some games and limited the original Xbox, I never said otherwise. In the X1 case Particularly when the backbuffer has to reside partially in ESRAM and partially in mainmemory. If Overwatch is deferred rendered with multiple rendertargets and given its 1080p on Xbox One it may be too large to fit in ESRAM and part of the render targets may have to reside in mainmemory. That would eat into main memory necessary for AF.

We've seen seen poor AF in some 3rd party X1 games when they have large 1080p render targets and are 60fps.

There are a couple of other things happening in Overwatch. Unlike Infamous SS/Bloodborne/TLOUR remastered it is 60fps, multiplayer, and its design mandates a solid 60fps above all else. A large overhead is maintained so when combat breaks out and a tornado of visual effects occur it still maintains the near rock solid 60fps. It is the Killer Instinct approach where that game generally runs at 90fps, but that performance overheard ensures the framerate never dips below 60fps no matter what. Unlike BF1 which can dip into the high twenties in multiplayer, and regularly dips into the 30s.

I think they use low anisotropic filtering on many multiplatorm games because those games have to run on Xbox 1 hardware. Indeed this hardware showed us with some of its early exclusives (notably Halo5 and MCC) that it had serious trouble rendering decent amount of AF even when developed specifically for this hardware when 2 exclusives similar PS4 games (Killzone SF and TLOUR) were much better looking graphically while having a higher level of AF.

Neither of those games is exactly pushing any graphical limits (especially the latter, a barebones PS3 port) though. So, AF there isn't proving much.

Also arent the former two closer to 60 FPS while the latter are 30-60? I dont exactly recall but IIRC.

Last edited:
Suddenly i'm not convinced anymore I absolutely need a pro.
Supersampling is good but only 4k/HDR owners will get the TRUE benefits anyway(And only if they have a good enough 4K set). And "enriched visuals" mode like Tomb raider still have jaggies/shimmering there is no supersampling+better graphics mode on 1080P and don't expect the rest of the gen to change that.
I feel dumb when I get a console where I can't get nowhere near 100% out of it and I feel dumb when I get a Base PS4 when I could get a pro right away. that is sort of annoying. They don't ignore HDTV with the pro but they barely support it when you think about it. The only real requirement is to kick up the resolution and make sure games perform solid. There is no guarantee on anything else.

Now I understand what Microsoft meant when they said Scorpio is "for people with 4K". I can't believe it took me that long to fully understand that but then again Sony has not done a good job on marketing the console. People had to wait on its release and Digital foundry or other sites to get an idea of how much of an improvement there is at launch.

Last edited:
In theory it should provide more stable performance because of the CPU clock bump. I'll wait till Horizon Zero Dawn drops (or if Gravity Rush 2 has a good Ps4Pro mode) to consider getting one. It's like buying early days Ps4, there's a limited number of games you can test on it, and some don't even perform that well. I guess if you really wanted to play the new CoD or Watch Dogs 2 the Pro would make sense but i just don't see it yet as a Ps4 owner. Although, things will definitely get interesting after January/February, Nioh will get a decent IQ/perf advantage and Horizon Zero Dawn will surely be a showcase title for the Pro. I still think Sony missed a big opportunity with Bloodborne, higher res and more stable performance would have been a godsend for that game, and it's still one of the best - if not the best - Ps4 games to date. Such omissions and some mediocre Ps4Pro patches make the Ps4Pro seem rushed.

Have they tested PSVR differences between PS4 and the 4Pro yet? That is where there should be large noticable differences if ever there were any.

Suddenly i'm not convinced anymore I absolutely need a pro.
Supersampling is good but only 4k/HDR owners will get the TRUE benefits anyway(And only if they have a good enough 4K set). And "enriched visuals" mode like Tomb raider still have jaggies/shimmering there is no supersampling+better graphics mode on 1080P and don't expect the rest of the gen to change that.
I feel dumb when I get a console where I can't get nowhere near 100% out of it and I feel dumb when I get a Base PS4 when I could get a pro right away. that is sort of annoying. They don't ignore HDTV with the pro but they barely support it when you think about it. The only real requirement is to kick up the resolution and make sure games perform solid. There is no guarantee on anything else.

Now I understand what Microsoft meant when they said Scorpio is "for people with 4K". I can't believe it took me that long to fully understand that but then again Sony has not done a good job on marketing the console. People had to wait on its release and Digital foundry or other sites to get an idea of how much of an improvement there is at launch.
Even if you ignore the better image quality you can still have noticeable performance improvement at 1080p in some notable games:

- ~30-40% performance improvement on BF1 and the game is much more stable at 60fps
- 40-60fps mode on Rise of the Tomb Raider and soon FF15
- ~30-40% performance improvement on Batman remaster
Most patched games now run better on their capped modes, often 30% better when the PS4 had dips thanks to the 33% CPU upclock. And many people who tried for instance Watchdogs 2 supersampled on Pro can't go back on the OG PS4. Have you really tried both versions of a few patched Pro games ?

I am not sure it's a good idea to listen only to a specific website to give you a definitive opinion, particularly when this website is spreading FUD about the Pro. Most people who have tried both are really happy with their purchase and can see and feel a worthwhile difference, even using 1080p TVs.

Have they tested PSVR differences between PS4 and the 4Pro yet? That is where there should be large noticable differences if ever there were any.
Yes. Most people who have tested both versions said there is noticeable difference.

yeah there are notable differences, but people must keep in mind that it's not the kind of leap you'll see between generations, it is just a PS4+, same as PS4 but with some ice cream on top. I love ice cream.

Even if you ignore the better image quality you can still have noticeable performance improvement at 1080p in some notable games:

- ~30-40% performance improvement on BF1 and the game is much more stable at 60fps
- 40-60fps mode on Rise of the Tomb Raider and soon FF15
- ~30-40% performance improvement on Batman remaster
Most patched games now run better on their capped modes, often 30% better when the PS4 had dips thanks to the 33% CPU upclock. And many people who tried for instance Watchdogs 2 supersampled on Pro can't go back on the OG PS4. Have you really tried both versions of a few patched Pro games ?

I am not sure it's a good idea to listen only to a specific website to give you a definitive opinion, particularly when this website is spreading FUD about the Pro. Most people who have tried both are really happy with their purchase and can see and feel a worthwhile difference, even using 1080p TVs.
Yes. Most people who have tested both versions said there is noticeable difference.
Thanks for your little info post! I didn't try games any PS4 yet let alone having the possibility to compare them side by side on my screen. I'm still considering the Pro but right now its just a bit less appealing when ROTomb Raider is about the only game who has dedicated 1080P mode. Unless I'm wrong thats 2 out of (I heard 40+) patched games with FF XV. Uncharted 4 difference doesn't seem to be that big in Single player.

Good to see performance is good on most games now.

TLOU runs at 60fps too.
Neither of those games is exactly pushing any graphical limits (especially the latter, a barebones PS3 port) though. So, AF there isn't proving much.

Also arent the former two closer to 60 FPS while the latter are 30-60? I dont exactly recall but IIRC.

I don't agree for KSF which is still one of the best PS4 looking game :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27844169@N07/11509853534/in/album-72157638939371224/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27844169@N07/11516149265/in/album-72157638939371224/

For the framerate it's : H5 > TLOU > MCC > KSF

Is it on both games in the Batman Arkham collection or just City? I've only seen it reported on City, but I don't visit too many gaming news sites anymore, so...
Yep, you are right only one game because the other is capped at 30fps.

This situation reminds of me of the N64's Expansion Pack. A RAM add-on that many games used to render at higher resolution but doing so usually tanked the framerate.

What does 4Pro-Lite mode enable, AF?

yeah there are notable differences, but people must keep in mind that it's not the kind of leap you'll see between generations, it is just a PS4+, same as PS4 but with some ice cream on top. I love ice cream.
For VR it could be a huge visual quality boost if the developer care enough.

Especially for blurry games like summer lesson and driveclub. But those two have no pro patch :(

For VR it could be a huge visual quality boost if the developer care enough.

Especially for blurry games like summer lesson and driveclub. But those two have no pro patch :(

Driveclub actually is better with the pro, higher res, more effects and little details. The higher resolution is more visible if you stand still, the game is sharper, once you move your head there is some blurring happening, don't know if it's due to reprojection or something else.

This situation reminds of me of the N64's Expansion Pack. A RAM add-on that many games used to render at higher resolution but doing so usually tanked the framerate.

It says right in the video title "ISSUE SEEMS ISOLATED TO TUTORIAL" so that's a bit weird

Driveclub actually is better with the pro, higher res, more effects and little details. The higher resolution is more visible if you stand still, the game is sharper, once you move your head there is some blurring happening, don't know if it's due to reprojection or something else.

Digital fountain says doesn't have pro patch

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...lub-the-costs-and-benefits-of-virtual-reality

" DriveClub VR doesn't appear to have any specific Pro optimisations"

Back