The Caveat Wars: Gap Width Measurements *spin ad nauseam*

X1 has clearly come a long way from launch, back when there was a 10% reservation on the six cores available for games and 10% on the GPU, and the necessary profiling tools for optimal esram use were unavailable (not to mention engineering around it taking time) and the graphics API was slow and single threaded and more costly than on PS4.

Things vary by game, obviously, but X1 has improved more and faster than PS4. Which is good because it really needed to as it was starting from relatively further behind.

Or to put it another way. It'll be generally true for any GPU limited game (most of them) and not true for any CPU limited game (rare).

Regards,
SB

At best, the XB1 should have 1 or 2 fps advantage in CPU limited games. You don't close any gap with a 9% faster CPU...

The last article from DF brought some interesting data :

batman.png

"In this scene, the Pro manages just a 6fps uplift over the base PS4. The numbers correspond to the 31 per cent increase in CPU power in the new console, suggesting that the AMD Jaguars are the limiting factor in this scene."

In which case it would be interesting to compare the same scene on Xbox One and S

My point was about the most demanding games... you could also put Rayman or Skyrim in your examples...

A game that runs at 1080p on XB1 is by nature a non-demanding game... as a game that runs at native 4K on PS4 Pro is by nature a non-demanding game.

There is only one valid argument in your examples : BF1. Indeed, compared to Battlefront, the gap is lower.

That's some pretty backwards logic. why can't a game be demanding and 1080p, by sacrificing other aspects of the graphics to hit the resolution target? Hypothetically for illustration, a 1080p photorealistic FPS knitting simulator with full fabric fibre simulation on the GPU and raytraced needle tech running at 5fps - by your definition that's undemanding because it's picked a 1080p target. :-?

Ok, you are right.

However, games running at 1080p on XB1 are a pretty bad comparison because developers usually only dare to upgrade the resolution on PS4. See Destiny, Mad Max, Hitman, etc.

That's some pretty backwards logic. why can't a game be demanding and 1080p, by sacrificing other aspects of the graphics to hit the resolution target? Hypothetically for illustration, a 1080p photorealistic FPS knitting simulator with full fabric fibre simulation on the GPU and raytraced needle tech running at 5fps - by your definition that's undemanding because it's picked a 1080p target. :-?

I think what he's saying is that anything that doesn't show a very large lead for PS4 isn't a demanding game. By that logic, Battlefield 1 is a very simplistic game that doesn't stress any machine in the slightest.

Regards,
SB

My point was about the most demanding games... you could also put Rayman or Skyrim in your examples...

A game that runs at 1080p on XB1 is by nature a non-demanding game... as a game that runs at native 4K on PS4 Pro is by nature a non-demanding game.

There is only one valid argument in your examples : BF1. Indeed, compared to Battlefront, the gap is lower.
The examples I gave are supposed to be demanding

I think what he's saying is that anything that doesn't show a very large lead for PS4 isn't a demanding game. By that logic, Battlefield 1 is a very simplistic game that doesn't stress any machine in the slightest.

Regards,
SB

I already said that BF1 was a valid example.

Back