Microsoft UWP Discussion

Would GNM be too different to easily port to Vulkan? I mean, with Windows in the middle, then PC ports could swing either way depending on portability from either console although I suppose many multiplatforms are building from experience with DX11 and they won't switch Just Cause.

idtech similarly has its roots in OGL.

I'm still not seeing how Forza Horison 3 can be considered "very buggy".
Just coming back to this because it does suffer latency issues that may be similar situation to Gears of War 4, exacerbated by the FH3 engine designed for 30fps - context around UWP more than the game.
And the recent patch it seems did not resolve all issues, still stutter and dropped frames.
Cheers

Just coming back to this because it does suffer latency issues that may be similar situation to Gears of War 4, exacerbated by the FH3 engine designed for 30fps - context around UWP more than the game.
And the recent patch it seems did not resolve all issues, still stutter and dropped frames.
Cheers

That's still substantially better and less buggy than some non-UWP games.

That's still substantially better and less buggy than some non-UWP games.
True there has been some serious crud released on PC that has nothing to do with UWP :)
But then a platform such as UWP should be transparent, but so far it does have impact on the system-gaming environment and if paying for a game you do not expect bugs-issues to happen that is due to interaction between the game and UWP-store platform.
Same way many were critical of Steam when it had problems in its early days, maybe I should give UWP-Microsoft store a few months before being critical of their platform and potentially its complexities for developers.

Cheers

Last edited:
Not real UWP, but it has something to do with the Windows 10 store:
CoD IW und Modern Warfare Remastered coming to the Windows Store, https://support.activision.com/arti...re-Remastered-for-Windows-10-on-Windows-Store
http://www.windowscentral.com/call-duty-coming-windows-store-not-without-some-drawbacks
It's not an Anywhere title, you cannot play with/against Xbox One players and you cannot play with Steam users.

Windowscentral said:
Update #1: A source familiar to the matter recently informed us that the decision to segregate Windows 10 Store and Win32 PC platform players is entirely on Activision. There is nothing about the UWP toolset that prevents cross-play functionality, as seen with CD Projekt RED's upcoming GWENT card game.

Update #2: We now have an official comment from a Microsoft spokesperson which reads as follows.

"We support cross-play between devices and platforms for partners who want to enable it."

Link to Windows Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh52ph9
It's 20% cheaper than Steam.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not at all sure what the heck Activision were thinking when they decided to segregate the PC multiplayer base. It's almost like they don't want anyone to buy COD in the Windows Store.

It's bizarre. The only thing I can think of is that it's a really quick and dirty test to get it working in the Windows Store with a UWP wrapper as a test. Perhaps Project Scorpio is moving to push it's games into the Windows Store? IE - Project Scorpio games will just be UWP Windows Store games? And so Activision are just using COD to test it in preparation? I have no idea. It's just a really bizarre situation with COD.

Regards,
SB

Project Scorpio will play UWP PC games at 4K, power all Microsoft game development [Exclusive]

The headline is a little bit misleading,
Our source told us that any game programmed natively for UWP on Windows 10 will run on Project Scorpio with a trivial amount of changes. This has always been Microsoft's vision for UWP.

Yeah, I'm not at all sure what the heck Activision were thinking when they decided to segregate the PC multiplayer base. It's almost like they don't want anyone to buy COD in the Windows Store.

It's bizarre. The only thing I can think of is that it's a really quick and dirty test to get it working in the Windows Store with a UWP wrapper as a test. Perhaps Project Scorpio is moving to push it's games into the Windows Store? IE - Project Scorpio games will just be UWP Windows Store games? And so Activision are just using COD to test it in preparation? I have no idea. It's just a really bizarre situation with COD.

Regards,
SB

Maybe Activision has not enough money to give the possibility, which allows, that people, who bought the game on Windows Store can play with people, who bought it on Steam.

Last edited:
What are UWP's requirements? DX9 GPU, or DX11 GPU?
Does it work with no 3D acceleration such as with VNC, RDP, safe mode?
Can you print or scan from a UWP application?
If I buy an application in Windows 10, it won't work in Windows 8?
So, can I buy an Xbox to run a word processor, calendars, picture editors etc. and save a file to a regular external drive?

These are a few questions I have, perhaps example questions so as to say that I doubt people know what's a UWP application and what it does and doesn't do.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/821799720712486913

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard confirmed for @xbox Play Anywhere – buy once, play on both Xbox One & @windows 10 PC

If you buy the game on Steam, you pay ~50 Euros (PC only, but you can play it on PCs with Windows 7/8/10), if you buy in Xbox Store, you pay 70 Euros.

It's getting crazier:
If you buy the retail version of Halo Wars 2 for PC (THQ Nordic is its publisher), you will get a code for Xbox One: https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Wars-2-...F8&qid=1484771663&sr=8-4&keywords=halo+wars+2
This is a Digital version of Halo Wars 2 which you can install via physical media on Windows 10 (64 bit). This Digital version of Halo Wars 2 is an Xbox Play Anywhere game. During installation, you will be directed to redeem a code for Halo Wars 2 on the Windows Marketplace using your Microsoft Account. From there, Halo Wars 2 will be available to install on any Xbox One or Windows 10 device that you sign in to using that same Microsoft Account.

It's getting crazier:
If you buy the retail version of Halo Wars 2 for PC (THQ Nordic is its publisher), you will get a code for Xbox One: https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Wars-2-...F8&qid=1484771663&sr=8-4&keywords=halo+wars+2

This is basically how all physical disk based releases are handled on PC for over a decade now. Physical disks are just a distribution channel for a digital release of a game. Except up until now, all physical disk based sales had to be redeemed through Steam before you could play them.

What's interesting here is that I think this may be the first title where a physical disk based PC release is redeemable through the Microsoft Store.

Regards,
SB

This is basically how all physical disk based releases are handled on PC for over a decade now. Physical disks are just a distribution channel for a digital release of a game. Except up until now, all physical disk based sales had to be redeemed through Steam before you could play them.

What's interesting here is that I think this may be the first title where a physical disk based PC release is redeemable through the Microsoft Store.

Regards,
SB
Halo Wars 2 is a playanywhere title, but only if you buy it over Xbox store or Windows store (digital). The difference to other games like GoW4 is that you can buy a retailversion of the game for PC (four DVDs) and during its installation you will redeem a Code for the Xbox One version. And this is new.

What about one family PC with three accounts, is the game only playable on one account?
E.g. Dad buys a game, ostensibly for the whole family (we don't know if Dad really is fooling himself on this) and it ends up on Dad's Microsoft account.
If another member wants to play, does he/she need to log in as Dad? And see the mess of private documents/desktop icons, email notifications not intended for him/her, and such.

I'm asking a candid question again, just because Windows has been the traditional local computing platform like we did in the 80s and 90s, till now. So seeing the store/account built right into Windows brings questions as to how this works. If you get a "traditional" game version that installs system-wide for everyone and the redeemed account version is an additional thing, fine. If you get an "account version" or an Xbox version, I have to wonder. Although family sharing is something that the store can implement (Steam has done for a couple years?)

The account you log into the store with can be different than the account you log into Windows with. I think the "big" limitation is a store account can only select one computer to run (start?) paid games/applications offline.

I doubt that, ive got games that dont even use steam

You missed the rest of the reply about it being the case for about the past 10 years. Really old games don't need it. And for a little bit after all the major publishers moved to Steam validation for all physical disk based releases you could still chance upon the occasional physical release that didn't require steam. Although, I suppose physical EA based games would now validate through Origin if EA still makes physical disks for PC distribution.

Regards,
SB

http://www.windowscentral.com/halo-wars-definitive-edition-launches-windows-10-xbox-one-and-steam

Keep in mind that the Steam release won't be open to cross-play with the Windows Store and Xbox versions, keeping multiplayer partially segmented.

Great job!

Something from the CoD IW desaster, http://www.windowscentral.com/call-duty-coming-windows-store-not-without-some-drawbacks

Update #2: We now have an official comment from a Microsoft spokesperson which reads as follows.

"We support cross-play between devices and platforms for partners who want to enable it."

I assume the XBL component is removed from the steam version? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to segregate the PC versions.

The game doesn't actually have crossplay between WinStore & Xbox mind you, and neither does the sequel. I'm not sure how the technical stuff works on there & what things are necessary for it to work behind the scenes (lockstep, 30 vs 60 Hz etc.).

Last edited:
I assume the XBL component is removed from the steam version? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to segregate the PC versions.

The game doesn't actually have crossplay between WinStore & Xbox mind you, and neither does the sequel. I'm not sure how the technical stuff works on there & what things are necessary for it to work behind the scenes (lockstep, 30 vs 60 Hz etc.).
I don't understand this:
They (Microsoft) always said, that the crossplay is the biggest feature for Windows 10 and Xbox One. But the only game, where it works, is Gears of War 4 and it took more than six months!

Back