Nvidia Geforce Drivers Release Announcement thread

The third one, and kind of the first. :p
aha :)

btw according to this driver's thread at the nvidia forums, there are some issues

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...read-released-11-15-16-/post/5018568/#5018568

Issues and Updates:
  • Battlefield 1 displays flicker after 11/15 patch w/ SLI enabled
  • Battlefield 1 menu text becomes jittery after 11/15 patch w/ SLI
  • Some GTX 1080/1070/1060 GPUs video memory stuck at 810Mhz
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare SLI flicker w/ render resolution above 100
  • Incorrect F@H work units after update to R375 drivers

Asus's 1440p@165Hz IPS G-Sync monitor, the PG279Q: https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/
I have this monitor and the 165Hz mode is some sort of overclock hackery. Native is 144Hz, and I doubt you could notice the difference even if you tried your damnest. Good monitor though.

Meanwhile nVidia released a hotfix driver because this one was causing memory clocks to stay really low on factory OC cards.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4260

Nvidia why do you keep fucking up lately :(
I think most of these issues are Win 10. Seems Nvidia is not alone regarding the frequency of recent driver releases.

No issues here on any recent driver releases or Kyyla's hotfix link to Geforce 375.95.

I think most of these issues are Win 10. Seems Nvidia is not alone regarding the frequency of recent driver releases.

No issues here on any recent driver releases or Kyyla's hotfix link to Geforce 375.95.

Man I forgot to reply to this.

Windows 10's been out for more than a year now. When I went to Vista slightly over a year after it came out(Fresh install on a new PC), there were far fewer issues than nvidia's been having as of late. Meanwhile I've run into one or two of the Windows 10 errors and I'm using a fresh install there as well.

What makes Windows 10 so different? I'm guessing it's more on Nvidia's side(Rushing QA is the most likely cause) than MS'...

Both Nvidia and AMD are coming out with these hotfix drivers recently, so while QA is always the likely cause it seems unusual that both companies have been releasing a slew of hotfix drivers at the same time for the past month or so. On the same day Nvidia released Hotfix 375.95, Crimson Hotfix driver 16.11.4 was released. QA for software (games, apps) and hardware (monitors, specific AIB cards) ideally should have been identified during the development phase but with all the issues we are seeing I'm not really not sure who should take the lead ...

Last edited:
Man I forgot to reply to this.

Windows 10's been out for more than a year now. When I went to Vista slightly over a year after it came out(Fresh install on a new PC), there were far fewer issues than nvidia's been having as of late. Meanwhile I've run into one or two of the Windows 10 errors and I'm using a fresh install there as well.

What makes Windows 10 so different? I'm guessing it's more on Nvidia's side(Rushing QA is the most likely cause) than MS'...

I don't have nearly as many issues with AMD's drivers in Win10 as I do with Nvidia, so I don't think it's Win 10. Just for some reason, Nvidia are having a difficult time managing their driver in Win 10. Just recently put in a R9 290 into my main desktop since I'm moving the 1070 into a new mini-ITX case to take to Japan for a couple months. And I have to say, it's so much nicer than the issues I was having with the 1070. Unfortunately it's also so much slower than the 1070. /sigh.

Now if only we could have AMD's driver reliability combined with Nvidia's speed. But alas, not happening yet. I keep hoping that maybe it's because Pascal was new, but Pascal has been out for almost half a year now.

Regards,
SB

I don't have nearly as many issues with AMD's drivers in Win10 as I do with Nvidia, so I don't think it's Win 10.
I've read your other post on your driver issues and can't say I've had similar issues. I'm not running Win 10 but can say for the past couple months have had no mentionable issues with games/apps I run ... even the 810Mhz memory issue did not affect the 1080 in my rig.

Just wondering since you switched back to the R9 290 whether you experience any of the issues still present in Crimson drivers. The Hexus article mentioned listed a few:
As usual, a few bugs remain, including the long standing Raptr overlay problem. Furthermore, it looks like AMD has some Vulkan API issues in DOOM and DOTA 2. AMD Crossfire is causing flickering problems for Overwatch players, and FIFA 17 players may be experiencing difficulties launching the game on systems with Hybrid graphics.
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/99373-amd-releases-radeon-software-crimson-edition-16114/

I've read your other post on your driver issues and can't say I've had similar issues. I'm not running Win 10 but can say for the past couple months have had no mentionable issues with games/apps I run ... even the 810Mhz memory issue did not affect the 1080 in my rig.

Just wondering since you switched back to the R9 290 whether you experience any of the issues still present in Crimson drivers. The Hexus article mentioned listed a few:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/99373-amd-releases-radeon-software-crimson-edition-16114/

Don't use Raptr (don't use GeForce Experience either) so can't comment on that. Out of the games listed in your quote, I only have DOTA 2, but haven't tried running it in Vulkan yet (only use it to spectate when The International tournament rolls around). If I get some time before I leave for Japan, I'll try out DOTA 2 with Vulkan to see if I have any issues.

Regards,
SB

Both Nvidia and AMD are coming out with these hotfix drivers recently, so while QA is always the likely cause it seems unusual that both companies have been releasing a slew of hotfix drivers at the same time for the past month or so. On the same day Nvidia released Hotfix 375.95, Crimson Hotfix driver 16.11.4 was released. QA for software (games, apps) and hardware (monitors, specific AIB cards) ideally should have been identified during the development phase but with all the issues we are seeing I'm not really not sure who should take the lead ...
Intel had to develop some kind of Windows 10 scaling override. Games were coming up letterboxed if you selected a non-native resolution. There's a new checkbox in their drivers control panel to enable the override so you can get full-screen scaling again on Win10. And it doesn't work with Braswell/Baytrail.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77746

Last edited:
Something else, I was noticing but thought maybe it was just my imagination. But with the AMD 290, things just launch instantly and my browsers feel crisp and fast. With the 1070, there's a short delay before anything is launched and browsers (Chrome, IE, Edge are the ones I tested) there's a loading delay. For example, opening a new browser tab takes 1-2 seconds. Opening up Warframe or Guild Wars 2, the game launcher starts up the same, but then it takes 2-4 seconds to start checking for updates whereas it takes only 1 or so seconds at most on the R9 290.

I really wish I knew WTF the Nvidia drivers are doing to make anything internet and LAN related (happens with RDP as well) have a sort of delay to it. I got so used to it on the 1070, that I kind of just accepted it, but now comparing them side to side, the difference is rather stark. And the 1070 install is now on a brand new machine with a brand new Windows install (performs no differently from when it was on the main desktop that the 290 is now on), whereas the R9 290 is on a machine where Windows has not had a clean install since Vista launched.

Ugh. So annoying. One good thing about the 1070 in general use though (in games it's just way better than the 290) is that it doesn't occasionally re-negotiate the DP link at 30 hz. The R9 290 will sometimes renegotiate the DP link with my 4K monitor at 30 hz forcing me to unplug the DP cable and reconnect it repeatedly until it re-establishes a 60 Hz connection. Windows at 30 Hz is very unpleasant.

I can't help but understand now some of the reasons why a lot of people hate Windows 10. Windows 10 on an Nvidia graphics card is just plain unpleasant compared to an AMD card. On the Nvidia card it's definitely slower on Win 10 than Win 7 in general use where there is no difference in general use on those 2 OSes with AMD cards (at least the ones I use). I'm assuming at least that the weird delays with anything Internet related don't exist on Win 7 with the 1070. But I'll test it for sure when I get back from Japan in a couple months to see.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I have Win 10 and 1070 myself, And just a while ago, Win 10 was unable to run many DX9 titles, which flat out crash during initial loading. It took several Windows updates till that was resolved!

Any how, ever tried to uninstall Geforce Experience? it could be responsible for that internet delay, as it checks the internet for games profiles, also make sure you don't have both AMD and NV drivers on the same machine, that combination invites trouble. That browser/new tab delay issue is weird, I don't have it on my system at all (even though I have GF Experience installed and active at all times).

I have Win 10 and 1070 myself, And just a while ago, Win 10 was unable to run many DX9 titles, which flat out crash during initial loading. It took several Windows updates till that was resolved!

Any how, ever tried to uninstall Geforce Experience? it could be responsible for that internet delay, as it checks the internet for games profiles, also make sure you don't have both AMD and NV drivers on the same machine, that combination invites trouble. That browser/new tab delay issue is weird, I don't have it on my system at all (even though I have GF Experience installed and active at all times).

I don't install Geforce Experience in the first place as I never use it. I had at one point wondered if my 1070 was defective in some way, but that wouldn't explain the weird issues with internet and LAN.

Regards,
SB

What about both AMD and NV drivers on the same system? 90% of you issues seems to revolve around browsers: browsers launch delays, IE11 glitching, Edge missing with your searches points and quizzes, Explorer visual corruption, .. etc. There must be a thread connecting all of these issues together, the video glitches are a common and valid GPU driver problems I think, the other are not! It's definitely weird!

What about both AMD and NV drivers on the same system? 90% of you issues seems to revolve around browsers: browsers launch delays, IE11 glitching, Edge missing with your searches points and quizzes, Explorer visual corruption, .. etc. There must be a thread connecting all of these issues together, the video glitches are a common and valid GPU driver problems I think, the other are not! It's definitely weird!

As I mentioned, it's also happening on a brand new system with a fresh install (moved the 1070 into the new computer I'm taking to Japan). I had considered that possibility as well.

Regards,
SB

Back